Recoil 3 III Laptop Power throttling

mohasi

PCS don't monitor the forums, it's best to call them or create a support ticket through your main account
I got the BIOS from PCS today, it was the same version as I already had as that was the latest. I re-flashed it according to the instructions but unfortunately the PL still triggers just the same.

I will have to accept it as an unchangeable fact.

As for what @Jasontvnd said, yes, since this is the first game in the trilogy, a remaster of the one from XBOX 360. It is not really optimized and probably will never get more FPS than it does. The issue was not with the 71fps so much, it was the huge drops, in one direction I could get 144, and as soon as I turn around it stutters and I get 71, so I was willing to set a base line of 85-90 and cap it there to avoid the stutter. Hopefully the second game in the trilogy is better optimised.

mohasi

I was planning to download the game to test it on my PC....however, I was slightly surprised to see it's 111GB! Between doing streams, playing online games etc, it would take a while to finish downloading so I gave up on that idea.

Instead, I decided to utilise my Google-Fu and it seems that fps drops are an issue in the first game (most issues I have seen appear to be related to ME1). A comment from someone on Reddit:

"There was one spot on the citadel that caused some FPS loss for me and that was on the presidium, looking towards the water, especially from the embassy area.
On the planets I mentioned above, even without vsync (vsync off fixes the stuttering for me), if I quickly move my mouse left and right, while driving the Mako, my FPS will plummet down to the 50's. As soon as I stop shaking my mouse left and right, the FPS near-instantly goes back to my 144 cap.
I have an Intel 11900k and RTX 3090 lol... Definitely seems like this was either not tested thoroughly at all, or was a console-first remaster, with little effort put into the PC."

Wow, maybe I should have used some google-fu myself.

If a 3090 is struggling then I have no complaints. I really liked the first game, due to its story and impact and am playing through the trilogy for like the 4th time :)

The game size is probably so big as it might be all three of them together. Btw, if you play it, then get some mods from nexusmods.com, some of them make your life a lot easier.

Jasontvnd

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah...still wasn't expecting 111GB...then again, I just checked and the Xbox version is 93GB so not all that surprising.

The way you can make a decision in the first game which has an impact in the 3rd game is what makes the series so great combined with the continuing story.

I can't use mods as I play on Xbox....much as I'd like to play on PC, I am used to playing games in 4k, having done so for 18 months and my GPU is too weak to handle games at 4k
The benefits of having crappy eyesight is I don't have to spend as much on a PC , That being said my 6900XT was touted as a 4k ready GPU but honestly I don't see the difference when I plug it into my 4k TV.....

Apologies to Mohasi I should have looked at the game in more depth to see that others experience the same issue.

Like I said before though power limit throttling is not really a thing it just means the card is running at max wattage which is normal for a GPU.

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
If you check my post history, you'll know Power Limit Throttling has been the bane of my existence with laptops. Sometimes everything works fine, then the next day your laptop is suddenly having PL throttles. Thankfully, I've noticed a few causes/solutions and ways to potentially improve it.

1) I'm not sure if this is a universal issue with laptops, but I've found that powering on the laptop with the charger plugged in somehow causes it to throttle. To fix this, turn on the laptop and then plug in the charger once windows has loaded up.

2) There's 2 downloads which you'll find very useful for potentially fixing this
CPU Z: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
Intel XTU: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

3) Open CPU Z and look for Max TDP (for example, my says CPU 95W), it should be at the top right of the application
Once you've made a note of that, open Intel XTU

4) Open Intel XTU and click "Advanced Tuning"
- Click the "All" tab
- Navigate to "Turbo Boost Power Max" and click the drop-down arrow
- Scroll down until you find the number for your maximum TDP shown in CPU Z (my setting is at 95.00W)

5) Once this is done, run a CPU Stress Test and look at the bottom-right of the application. It should show you 3 different forms of throttling (current, power limit, thermal). If none of those light up during the stress test, you're good to go

6) (Optional) While in XTU, consider under-volting the CPU to reduce the overall temperatures at the cost of a very minor performance hit

7) General advice which you're probably already following:
- When in games, push FN + 1 to put the fans at their maximum value. The CPU + GPU will throttle itself if the temperature reaches a specific value, so having a noisier but more efficient fan is usually worth utilising
- Use a good laptop cooling pad to further reduce temperatures (especially during the summer). I use the IETS GT500 which is powered by a plug (EU to UK adapter required), and I noticed a reduction of 7-10c

Jasontvnd

Bronze Level Poster
If you check my post history, you'll know Power Limit Throttling has been the bane of my existence with laptops. Sometimes everything works fine, then the next day your laptop is suddenly having PL throttles. Thankfully, I've noticed a few causes/solutions and ways to potentially improve it.

1) I'm not sure if this is a universal issue with laptops, but I've found that powering on the laptop with the charger plugged in somehow causes it to throttle. To fix this, turn on the laptop and then plug in the charger once windows has loaded up.

2) There's 2 downloads which you'll find very useful for potentially fixing this
CPU Z: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
Intel XTU: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

3) Open CPU Z and look for Max TDP (for example, my says CPU 95W), it should be at the top right of the application
Once you've made a note of that, open Intel XTU

4) Open Intel XTU and click "Advanced Tuning"
- Click the "All" tab
- Navigate to "Turbo Boost Power Max" and click the drop-down arrow
- Scroll down until you find the number for your maximum TDP shown in CPU Z (my setting is at 95.00W)

5) Once this is done, run a CPU Stress Test and look at the bottom-right of the application. It should show you 3 different forms of throttling (current, power limit, thermal). If none of those light up during the stress test, you're good to go

6) (Optional) While in XTU, consider under-volting the CPU to reduce the overall temperatures at the cost of a very minor performance hit

7) General advice which you're probably already following:
- When in games, push FN + 1 to put the fans at their maximum value. The CPU + GPU will throttle itself if the temperature reaches a specific value, so having a noisier but more efficient fan is usually worth utilising
- Use a good laptop cooling pad to further reduce temperatures (especially during the summer). I use the IETS GT500 which is powered by a plug (EU to UK adapter required), and I noticed a reduction of 7-10c
The 9750H is rated at 45w , If he where to set it to 45w in throttlestop or XTU it would leave alot of performance sitting on the table.

Intel turbo boost will extract what I can from the cpu by boosting it's clock speed to the point that a 9750h can and will hit 115w on most machines for a short amount of time.

Like I said before power limit throttling whether on the CPU or the GPU is not an issue , Both have power limits which can be reached and it will not go any higher.

Why would a CPU that's got a 95w tdp run at 200w.... What would be the point in it being a 95w cpu then?

It's like saying a 200hp car is power throttling once is hits 200hp.....

It doesn't make sense.