Recoil 4 - After 10 days of usage

sodhi95

Hey folks!

I recently got my Recoil 4 on the 20th of May after a faily long wait. Overall, I think I'm pretty happy with my purchase but keep having a doubt if I could have gone with the Vyper instead.

My config:
laptop-config.PNG

I think the laptop looks quite good and is well built. I've done multiple long gaming sessions and GPU temps typically stay under 78-79 degrees. It does get a bit warm around the IOP90 keys on the keyboard but is not untouchable or anything. Gaming performance has been quite good. I get 120+ fps on my qhd external monitor with Apex Legends and around 100+ on Warzone.
The keyboard did take a bit getting used to. But I quite like it, with a nice travel and clicky feel. It's a membrane mechanical keyboard and feels much better than most laptops keyboards.
I haven't had a chance to properly test the battery out so can't comment on that yet. The speakers were actually much better than I expected. Not as loud as my work macbook, but decent.

Issues that I've seen:
1. The webcam is def an issues with these screens.
2. This is probably a very solvable problem, but my I need to turn on and start keyboard RGB manually after every shut down. Just need to figure out what's wrong with it right now.
3. The top of the laptop is prone to finger marks.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much it. I'm not sure if I took the right call with the Recoil over Vyper. So feel free to comment if you have thoughts on that :)

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-31 at 12.59.59 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-31 at 12.59.59 PM.jpeg

briggm

Bronze Level Poster
For me, it'd either be the Recoil or the Vyper 17. I ruled out the 15 inch Vyper due to the lesser battery and the likelihood that the Vyper 15 will have the worst cooling of the 3 due to the smaller, thinner chassis.

Between the Recoil and Vyper 17, they both seem to have their advantages. The larger screen and thinner chassis are obvious selling points for the Vyper, whereas the mechanical keyboard on the recoil definitely looks like it's better and the smaller footprint is nice if you're taking it anywhere with you. Plus there's that 240hz screen which I guess may be beneficial if you're playing fast-paced shooters.

With regards to the keyboard lights needing to be turned on after a reboot, people have reported the same on the Vyper so a bios update may be needed to fix that.

Paddy Baxter

Bronze Level Poster
I just ordered this too so its good to hear. I've just been going off reviews of the chassis that have showed decent temps. What is the CPU temp like? And what does the 2070 Super clock boost to? As it seems different for every system

norton99

Hey, unrelated to your Laptop, but where did you get that monitor arm. I can't find one that is high enough to mount a screen on top of another one.

sodhi95

@Trisconway Hey!

I'm still loving it. I play a lot of Apex legends on a 2K monitor. Fan is a bit loud and everything else is amazing :)

I do (very rarely, once in maybe 3 weeks), get some intermittent issues with my WIFI connection (so my network card). But they seem to fix themselves within a few minutes in most occassions.

Let me know if you want to know something in specific about the laptop :)

big wap

@sodhi95 Are the fans loud when not playing games? I plan to take it to uni for coding in class but don't want a laptop that sounds like a jet engine. Also how is the battery life?

Genesis

I have the same laptop and the same issue with having to start the keyboard RGB manually after every shutdown. Have you been able to find a solution for it? I've also just been having some crashing issues with the Gaming Center software since I bought this laptop 2 months ago.

Inigo

@sodhi95 Hi, and many thanks for this review.

I've also just purchased a Recoil IV with similar specs. However I've been left disappointed with it, and have returned the machine which is now pending a refund.

The issue I had was that the trackpad was loose in the casing, meaning that every time I clicked, or tapped it, the entire trackpad unit rattled slightly. An incredibly annoying problem and not one which I was prepared to put up with, having spent £2.5k. I'm kicking myself for not recording a video of it before returning the laptop, but the issue was pretty much exactly as per this video:
(you can see the issue demonstrated at about 40 seconds in).

I got a call from PCS today with the results from the tech guys, and they've denied there's any problem: I'm told that that's just the way it's designed, apparently... :rolleyes:

I would love to know if the trackpad on your machine is loose like this? Or is firmly secured in place?

Thanks again, would love if you could let me know! cheers!