Recoil 4 - High GPU Temperature

I had high temps with my recoil and found that epic games was just quietly burning up my gpu, beyond making sure it is closed and updating drivers I have no further advice, but the forums here seem hugely helpful so I’m sure someone will have a solution for you.

Paddy Baxter

Bronze Level Poster
Eed
I had high temps with my recoil and found that epic games was just quietly burning up my gpu, beyond making sure it is closed and updating drivers I have no further advice, but the forums here seem hugely helpful so I’m sure someone will have a solution for you.

I’ve just installed windows and waited for all the updates, then installed the laptop drivers. No other software other than Afterburner. It’s weird, I had the proteus laptop last year with the 2070 and 8750h and it was fine apart from the toasty cpu. Thermal throttling by 20 percent in one minute of gameplay with fans at 100 is mad.

Paddy Baxter

Bronze Level Poster
After receiving no reply from PCS I just installed windows from fresh and all the drivers again. Lo and behold the overheating problem has vanished. Just finished a stress test that saw my GPU temps max out at 81 degrees with sustained boost clocks. Happy days!

Paddy Baxter

Bronze Level Poster
Just off the phone with PCS and apparently this overheating/downclocking business is perfectly normal. I guess I'll just have to get a good laptop fan to maintain a decent performance. Heads up to anyone getting the Recoil IV with the 2070 Super because after 15 mins 99 percent load on the GPU, it effectively becomes a regular 2070 in terms of performance.