Recoil II 17.3 Slow Wifi

s e n t i MENTL

Picked up a Recoil II 17.3 earlier this week, mostly for CAD work and odd bit of gaming.

So far all okay, but I'm heavily disappointed with the WIFI connection speed from the Intel AC9260 chipset.

I'm on Virgin Media 200mbit Fibre and all my other devices on WIFI max out at 213mbit, this includes, iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro and my MacBook Pro 2018.

This Recoil II taps out at 40-55mbit.

I've let it update the drivers for the intel wifi chipset to the latest version from Microsoft which has added a 160Mhz tag to th end of the device in Device Manager but actually worked slower, around 25-30mbit.

For all the tests, I'm sitting literally 5 feet from my router in the living room.

Any suggestions to improve this please?

According to the specs, it should be capable of 1.73gbit????

Many thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Did you buy it with Windows installed? If so PCS should have installed the right drivers. In any case it would be worth checking to see whether Intel have a driver update for that card (rather than the Windows one).

Failing that I would check that the card that's installed is the card you ordered (mistakes happen) and that it's actually configured to operate at 802.11ac (because the speeds you see make me wonder whether it's operating in 802.11g mode).

If all that checks out I would phone (rather than email) PCS. If you're happy swapping WiFi cards yourself they'll probably send a replacement to try. It might even be worth checking that the antennae are properly plugged into the card...

FWIW I've had no end of issues with Intel laptop WiFi cards and a web search will show you that I'm not alone. My money is on a flaky card.