Recoil II 17" screen is flashing unless dimmed all the way down

Namu

Starting yesterday, the screen on my Recoil II 17" flashes on and off if I set its brightness anywhere above 8%. If set to 9% it flashes every second, and faster (4 times per second) if the brightness is set higher. The brightness does adjust along, but it also flashes on and off, and it is very hard on the eyes.

Has anyone ever seen something like this ? What should I check or try first ? It hapenned sudenly while I was playing and doing nothing special at all. No warning, no weird event in the system logs, it just started doing this. I updated the nvidia drivers but it did nothing, as I expected.

Namu

Note: more testing shows it seems to vary with temperature. The hotter the laptop, the lower the flashing threshold. Right now it is 14 and above that triggers flashing. When running hot it goes down to 8 or 9 or 10.

Namu

So apparently the inverter supplying power to the screen's backlight is dying, and it won't get better - and I also cannot fix this on my own. Time for warranty call.

thogro

I believe i may also be having this issue! Really hope i dont have to send it back because i need a laptop for my classes and i am here until december!!!