Recoil II M.2 SSD Upgrade

BrickJnr

Hi,

I have had a 15'' Recoil II laptop for a few months now and am very happy with it, except for the speed of the hybrid SSHD.
Due to wanting more speed from the hard drive, I would like to add or exchange the SSHD with something similar to a Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 PCIe drive.
Can anyone tell me whether this is possible, before I take my laptop apart? Also, do you have any recommended M.2 drives?

Many thanks!

Stephen M

Author Level
I am not sure how easy the Recoil chassis is to work on but PCS allow us to open our machines and work on them without voiding the warranty. If log on to your account via the main page and go to the upgrade option it will tell you what is available for your machine, there should be an SSD among the items, although you may find a drive cheaper elsewhere.

This is not the main PCS inquiries area, just a users forum so for a fully official response you would need to email or call them. Phone is best as emails can take a time to get a reply. Also, when it comes to putting the new drive in they will talk you through it on the phone or supply email guidance.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
What do you have in the laptop at the moment? Just an SSHD? In which case you can add an M.2 SSD no problem as Stephen says above. The 500gb 970 Evo sounds like a decent choice.

miczdr

I have bought Recoil 2 with evo 970 nvme and added another one, no issues there, just remember that you can only have one sata m.2, but 2 nvme m.2 drives.
As far as swap goes it was easy, though there is a lot of screws that you will have to undo and make sure you have the right screwdriver as some of them might be very tight.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What do you have in the laptop at the moment? Just an SSHD? In which case you can add an M.2 SSD no problem as Stephen says above. The 500gb 970 Evo sounds like a decent choice.

I'd support this too. SSHDs don't function well as the only drive in a system, but as a pure data drive with an M.2 SSD as the system drive it will perform perfectly fine.

damole

Silver Level Poster
I bought a WD Blue m.2 SATA SSD as an upgrade to my Seagate FireCuda 2.5" SSHD. I already have a Samsung 970 EVO nVME drive installed in one of the m.2 slots, this is the drive I ordered the laptop with.

Which of the m.2 slots is the SATA slot? Is this configured in the UEFI? I only plan to have all 3 drives so I can copy the data from the Firecuda to the WD Blue after which I will remove the Firecuda.

There are no instruction or service manuals in my downloads.

damole

Silver Level Poster
As soon as I'd posted I went back to my open laptop and it's written at the end of each slot. At first I just inserted the WD Blue in the empty slot, rebooted and didn't see it. Now I've switched them it's working fine.

I may go for the higer capacity battery once I've removed the 2.5" disk, the battery is also physically bigger and won't fit with the drive installed.