[RECOIL II RTX 15.6] BIOS UPDATE PROBLEM

Hello everyone,

I received from PCS the latest BIOS files (version N.1.51) for TongFang GK5CP0Z: it contains EC update (version 2.04) and BIOS update.
The archive contains these files:

EFI
BOOT
>Bootx64.efi
>Shell.efi
>Shellx64.efi

PCS
>AfuEfix64.efi
>ecflash.nsh
>flashme.nsh
>GK5CP0ZN151.ROM
>GKxCPQ20.409
>ifux64.efi

PCS gave me the following instructions:

1 - Copy the update files in a FAT32 USB;
2 - Insert USB and start system;
3 - Press repeatedly F7 and select UEFI Shell from USB Flash Drive;
4 - Identify USB alias fs#, then type:
FS#:
CD PCS
ECFLASH.NSH

5 - Will start the EC updating, then system reboot;
6 - Reopen UEFI Shell, then type:
FS#:
CD PCS
FLASHME.NSH

7 - Will start the BIOS updating, then system reboot;
8 - End

I did all as previous instructions, but I managed to update only the EC, because when I try to update Bios I get the following error:

I searched online but I found nothing about this error.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem?

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Since the BIOS files came from PCS I strongly suggest you call PCS and ask for their help.

I am in contact by e-mail with PCS, but I have not receive a solution, so I looked for help here in case someone else had the same problem.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am in contact by e-mail with PCS, but I have not receive a solution, so I looked for help here in case someone else had the same problem.
The BIOS must be updated with PCS, otherwise you’ll void the warranty. Best to deal direct with them even if someone on here does offer advice. My guess is that’s the wrong bios file.

The BIOS must be updated with PCS, otherwise you’ll void the warranty. Best to deal direct with them even if someone on here does offer advice. My guess is that’s the wrong bios file.
I also think that probably is the wrong bios file, but PCS said me that it's correct and to try again changing USB port or USB drive.
I tried again following the advices but nothing changed, so I informed them and I'm waiting for news and looking for advices from forum's people.

Filbee

I have this laptop too (RTX 2060 version). Try as I might, I can't get PCS to send me an updated BIOS/EC - still on the stock versions and PCS support say there is nothing newer. Please keep us updated on this issue, I have some problems with the machine not waking from sleep so I'd be interested to know if there actually IS a BIOS/EC update available.

Shame that PCS lets itself down somewhat with post-sales support, I've always been a PCS fan but recent experiences have me thinking maybe I should dump this machine and move to a different brand.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have this laptop too (RTX 2060 version). Try as I might, I can't get PCS to send me an updated BIOS/EC - still on the stock versions and PCS support say there is nothing newer. Please keep us updated on this issue, I have some problems with the machine not waking from sleep so I'd be interested to know if there actually IS a BIOS/EC update available.

Shame that PCS lets itself down somewhat with post-sales support, I've always been a PCS fan but recent experiences have me thinking maybe I should dump this machine and move to a different brand.
Try disabling Fast Startup in Windows (power options > choose what the power buttons do). There are, or were, known issues with some motherboards, fast startup, and sleep.

It's a tad unfair to claim you feel 'let down by post-sales support' just because there is no updated BIOS for your laptop. PCS don't write the BIOS code and can only supply what the motherboard vendor creates.

Filbee

Try disabling Fast Startup in Windows (power options > choose what the power buttons do). There are, or were, known issues with some motherboards, fast startup, and sleep.

It's a tad unfair to claim you feel 'let down by post-sales support' just because there is no updated BIOS for your laptop. PCS don't write the BIOS code and can only supply what the motherboard vendor creates.

Yes, I am aware of who writes the BIOS code, but I'm also aware of other manufacturers using this chassis who do offer BIOS upgrades.The inference being that PCS are slow in comparison to bring these to their customers. Since the OP on this thread was referring to a newer BIOS from PCS when I'd been told very very recently that there is none, I'm a bit nonplussed.

Thanks for the ideas on fast startup etc, I'm pretty sure I've tried these but having just gone through a clean install to resolve some BSOD issues, maybe it's something I've overlooked and I'll try it now.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I just realised what thread this is. Did you manage to get the BIOS update that PCS originally sent you installed? The one in your original post I mean...

What BSODs are you getting? How old is this laptop?

Yes, I am aware of who writes the BIOS code, but I'm also aware of other manufacturers using this chassis who do offer BIOS upgrades.The inference being that PCS are slow in comparison to bring these to their customers. Since the OP on this thread was referring to a newer BIOS from PCS when I'd been told very very recently that there is none, I'm a bit nonplussed.

Thanks for the ideas on fast startup etc, I'm pretty sure I've tried these but having just gone through a clean install to resolve some BSOD issues, maybe it's something I've overlooked and I'll try it now.

I think the problem is that TongFang doesn't have any website in which share their motherboard's drivers, so we can only contact PCS support. I'm still waiting reply from PCS for my problem.

What is your Recoil model (TongFang name)? And what are your BIOS/EC's versions?

Filbee

BIOS is 1.02 and EC is 1.02.09 - PCS name is Recoil II with the RTX 2060 - GK5CP0Z in Tongfang terminology (according to sticker on underside)

Filbee

What BSODs are you getting? How old is this laptop?
The BSODs I've been having are the mysterious "WHEA Uncorrectable error" which don't point towards any particular hardware issue. Memtest diagnostics show no RAM issues, and temperatures are well within normal ranges even under load. No undervolt in place. Laptop is about 4 months old. I was hoping a BIOS update might be available from PCS to address instability as is often the case with newer chassis / component combinations, but seems not to be an option.

Having tried a clean install it looks like the next step is RMA , but that's a matter for another time. Not wanting to hijack OP's thread here, so will keep this BIOS related.

BIOS is 1.02 and EC is 1.02.09 - PCS name is Recoil II with the RTX 2060 - GK5CP0Z in Tongfang terminology (according to sticker on underside)

I read in other thread that 1.02 BIOS version had some issues. If you want I can share 1.55 BIOS and 2.04 EC update files, to try if it works for your laptop.
The update is for TongFang GK5CP0Z and from PCS: no warranty problems. I can directly share the link that PCS sent to me.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I read in other thread that 1.02 BIOS version had some issues. If you want I can share 1.55 BIOS and 2.04 EC update files, to try if it works for your laptop.
The update is for TongFang GK5CP0Z and from PCS: no warranty problems. I can directly share the link that PCS sent to me.
Whilst I appreciate you're trying to be helpful, any BIOS updating MUST be done by the instruction of PCS, otherwise it will void your warranty. It's in their terms and conditions.

I strongly recommend @Filbee to hang on a little, hopefully one of the Admins may see this thread.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The BSODs I've been having are the mysterious "WHEA Uncorrectable error" which don't point towards any particular hardware issue. Memtest diagnostics show no RAM issues, and temperatures are well within normal ranges even under load. No undervolt in place. Laptop is about 4 months old. I was hoping a BIOS update might be available from PCS to address instability as is often the case with newer chassis / component combinations, but seems not to be an option.

Having tried a clean install it looks like the next step is RMA , but that's a matter for another time. Not wanting to hijack OP's thread here, so will keep this BIOS related.
Indeed, I've just realised you're not the OP on this thread.

Whilst I appreciate you're trying to be helpful, any BIOS updating MUST be done by the instruction of PCS, otherwise it will void your warranty. It's in their terms and conditions.

I had't read the terms correctly, thanks for clarification.

This morning PCS said that they had forwards my problem directly to TongFang.
When I will receive a reply I will update the thread.