Recoil ii rtx 2060 - review

SPECS:

Chassis & DisplayRecoil Series: widescreen LED 72% NTSC opaco, full HD IPS 15,6" e 144 Hz (1920 x 1080)
Processor (CPU)Processor Intel Core i7 8750H 6 core (2,2 GHz, 4,1 GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)DDR4 SODIMM Corsair 2666 MHz 16 GB (2 da 8 GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 RAM video 6,0 GB GDDR6 DirectX 12.1
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Storage DriveDISCO RIGIDO SEAGATE 1 TB 7 mm SERIAL ATA III 2,5" CON CACHE 128 MB (7.200 giri/minuto)
1[SUP]st[/SUP] M.2 SSD DriveSSD PCIe INTEL 760p M.2 NVMe 256 GB (fino a 3210 MB/sR | 1315 MB/sW)
Memory Card ReaderLettore schede 3 in 1 integrato (SD/SDHC/SDXC)
AC Adaptor1 x Adattatore 180W AC
BatteryBatteria Li-Ion Recoil II Series 46 WH
Power Cable1 cavo di alimentazione europeo a trifoglio 1 metro
Thermal PastePASTA TERMICA COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER
Sound Card2 canali alta def. Audio + SoundBlaster Cinema
Bluetooth & WirelessLAN GIGABIT e WIRELESS INTEL AC-9260 M.2 (1.73 Gbps, 802.11AC) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 PORTA USB 3.1 (tipo C) + 2 PORTE USB 3.0 + 1 PORTA USB 2.0
Keyboard LanguageTASTIERA MECCANICA ITALIANA CON ILLUMINAZIONE RGB INDIVIDUALE DEI TASTI
Operating SystemNESSUN SISTEMA OPERATIVO RICHIESTO
Operating System LanguageItalia/Italia Lingua italiana
Windows Recovery MediaNESSUN RIPRISTINO RICHIESTO
Office SoftwareProva GRATUITA 30 giorni di Microsoft? Office? 365 (richiesto sistema operativo)
Anti-VirusNESSUN SOFTWARE ANTIVIRUS
BrowserMicrosoft Edge (solo con Windows 10)
Notebook MouseMOUSE TOUCHPAD 2 PULSANTI INTEGRATO
WebcamWEBCAM HD 1 MP INTEGRATA
WarrantyGaranzia Silver di 3 anni (1 anno Ritiro e reso, 2 anni Ricambi, 3 anni Manodopera)
Delivery3 - 4 GIORNI PER LA SPEDIZIONE IN ITALIA
Build TimeCostruzione standard da 4 a 6 giorni lavorativi
Processed Date11-03-2019
Pre-Production Date11-03-2019
Build Date12-03-2019
Test Date12-03-2019
Awaiting Dispatch Date13-03-2019
Dispatch Date13-03-2019

PRICE: 1.579,00 EUR

The laptop was ordered on 11/03/2019 and I received it on 15/03/2019.
Externally, the product arrived intact, the only flaw was that one of rubber foots had been thinner than the others: the laptop wobbled, but I solved unmount and repasting the piece adding some thickness.
Another negative thing: some screws was not properly tightened, but obviously it was only an operator's distraction.
External features:

• Display: visually fantastic, with great colours and very high luminosity.

• Keyboard: despite all negative comments that I read, I found the pseudo-mechanical keyboard very comfortable and relatively silent compared to a truly mechanical one.

• Chassis: it keep some fingerprints, but is solid and strong.

• Cooling: really well studied for a laptop of these dimensions.

Internal features:

• Processor: obviously the i7 8750H is, computationally speaking, one of the best high-level processors on the laptop market.
Unfortunately it suffer from high temperatures, and because this I applied a -0.120 undervolt (directly from the BIOS settings) to avoid reaching over 85/85 Celsius degree during extreme-effort conditions.
For extreme-effort conditions I mean (after undervolt):
- Metro Exodus Epic Settings (No RTX) - min75? max85?;
- Ark Survival Evolved Epic Settings - min65? max75?;
I tested higher values of undervolt, but I noticed freezing, so I concluded that -0.120v is the maximum bound settable on my machine, without problems.
It must be said that the six-core-twelve-threads-based processor generally doesn't be 100% exploited from games software, which doesn't entirely optimize concurrency and parallelism, so it is normal in gaming to notice these temperatures.
In other contexts the laptop is very efficient, it doesn't show any sign of effort or high temperatures. An example is the combination of these applications open simoultaneosly:

• macOs Mojave virtualized with 6GB of ram open in window (virtualbox), with Xcode open;
  • Opera browser downloading system updates;
  • Installation of Android Studio.
In this case I noticed a maximum of 60% usage of the CPU (balanced mode). I didn't any other checks during heavy-utilization session, so this is the only example.

• Video card: until now, I noted a maximum of 70 Celsius degree during the previous explained gaming sessions.

• Chassis temperatures: during gaming session the upper bar (in wich there are the turbo fan and the on/off buttons) reach rapidly high temperatures. The lower part, on the right of the touchpad (in which I think there are the 7200rpm HDD) becomes warm. These temperatures are obviously a compromise to be accepted for the price, the very thin dimensions and even the 2.1kg weight of this gaming laptop (withouth however needing a Nvidia MAX-Q graphic depotentiation).

• Cooling system: during the previous explained gaming sessions, the fans quickly turned on, manteining a medium-hig speed. Obviously, with settings optimization, it is possible to obtain lower fans' speed and temperatures. Generally fans are louder, but as I said before, it is the price to pay for thin dimensions with high-level components.

During normal utilization, fans turn on only with low speed in some case, but generaly they are silently.
General considerations:
The value for money is great, it is impossible to find the components of this RECOIL at a price of around 1500eur by looking in the catalogs of other famous manufacturers. With RECOIL II RTX I didn't have to compromise components with total price.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the excellent review. Personally I would write back to PCS about the wobbly foot and loose screws issues. That's just not acceptable and it's not the quality build that (I hope) PCS strive for. However, unless customers tell PCS that these problems are happening they will never know and they won't get corrected. :)

Update for the woobly foot: PCS sent me a new entire back cover, but the problem persist, so I decide to keep my custom mod.

I measured all chassis' sides and found no creases or slight inaccuracies, so I think it's a slight deformation that takes the plastic of the cover due to the unbalanced weight of the components.

briceio

Hello, nice review. Are the USB Type-C ports Thunderbolt 3 compliant (meaning I can plug an eGPU on it)?

Thanks for your feedback.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
They're USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10gbps). The Vortex has Thunderbolt 3, or the Octane. Thunderbolt 3 isn't super common.

Though tbh buying a laptop around the idea of using an eGPU with it won't be the right answer for most people (for some, sure, but not most).