Recoil II RTX just arrived!

G0975

Hi Roakes,

I haven't had the chance to run all benchmarks today. I managed to run Time Spy in which I got 7,430 exactly.

However I got a warning saying graphics driver not supported (the notebook RTX 2070 driver is very new!) so not sure if that reduces the score.

Is this decent? Considering it's a mobile chip.

Oussebon, I will look into checking temps over the next few days - I have constantly been monitoring the temps via the built in gaming centre. I pulled out my old cooling pad yesterday and now average temp stays around 70 celcius for both the CPU and GPU whilst playing Atlas, or For Honor with supersampling on (4K resolution) so under decent load. I've seen the CPU hit 76 celcius since and I check every time there's a break inbetween rounds etc. The GPU doesn't seem to move past 70 degrees.

I will look at getting official information for you after the weekend, it's been a bit hectic my end and I'm in for a busy weekend.

Hi, Will! (Superswirl) I have noticed that you've ordered your machine, exciting stuff I bet you can't wait! Honestly I'm incredibly impressed so far with PCS. As per my response to Ousse, I'm in for a busy weekend but somepoint during the week I'll try chat to you whilst your online and run these tests together.

Hope this helps all, if there's anything else please ask otherwise have a great weekend!

Greenman

Enthusiast
7430 sounds good. The 1070 median score on Notebookcheck for time spy is 5268. The old 1080 had a max score of 7260 with a median of 6584.

Ordered the same machine with a 2070. 3rd system from PCS and they haven't disappointed yet.

G0975

Thanks Green, good to hear that and in which case it sounds like a decent result! Glad to see you've ordered, keep me updated on when it arrives either hear or message me if you start up a thread. I'm certain you have made a great choice.

Just another update that popped to mind, on the first page of this thread I have posted my spec and if anyone's tempted to buy a similar rig I couldn't recommend the 1TB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 1800MB/sR | 1800MB/sW) enough.

I've come from a Samsung Evo 860 M.2 and quite frankly I simply cannot distinct the loading times between the two devices. The intel feels on par for load times, 5 second boot etc and better yet you can get a total of 1tb for a little bit more than the samsung 250gb M.2 or much cheaper than the 500gb samsung so worth a thought if considering storage options!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
FYI the Intel drive is meant to be 3 times faster than the 860 Evo. Obviously that's not gonna equate to 1/3 loading speeds, hence why loading times are pretty similar.

It uses cheaper QLC I think, and will be much slower than the high end Samsungs like 970 Evo and the WD Black for more intensive workloads, and it'll struggle with sustained writes a lot more I believe. The 660p suffers a lot from performance drops when it's full (moreso than many other drives I think) so try not to let it get too full with games you're not currently playing :)

It's great as a cheap SSD though for most users, no denying.

G0975

Hi,

Yes there's a music mode just like that one. Tried it just now, pretty cool but I'll be real the speakers in this laptop aren't great.

Otherwise the keyboard is easily customized, every key, every color you could want.

TheUberMedic

Hi,

Yes there's a music mode just like that one. Tried it just now, pretty cool but I'll be real the speakers in this laptop aren't great.

Otherwise the keyboard is easily customized, every key, every color you could want.

Uggghhhh that almost makes it an insta buy. May cant get here fast enough ;-;

I just hope this laptop gets a 1440p screen option by then.

bigphil

Hi - I am awaiting delivery of Defiance RTX 17.3 with what looks like a pretty similar spec to what you have here.

Its got the i7 8750H, 16Gb Corsair 2666Mhz and I went for the Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q video card. I swapped out the intel 512 Gb SSD for a 500Gb WD Black. It also comes with 1Tb HDD.

Please to see that it will likely perform well. It is my first new PC since a desktop I got from PCS around 9 years ago which is now very slow and an old Toshiba laptop which is equally pedestrian.

Can't wait for it to arrive.........

G0975

Hi Phil,

Sounds like a system with a great spec, I have had contact with other friendly users on here whom have said they are impressed with the performance of the RTX 2070 Max-Q in mobile units so I'm sure you will not be disappointed!

I've come from an older system like yourself (although not quite 9 years old!) and the difference is incredible. I am excited for you, do let us know when she arrives!

Best wishes.

TheUberMedic

Hi - I am awaiting delivery of Defiance RTX 17.3 with what looks like a pretty similar spec to what you have here.

Its got the i7 8750H, 16Gb Corsair 2666Mhz and I went for the Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q video card. I swapped out the intel 512 Gb SSD for a 500Gb WD Black. It also comes with 1Tb HDD.

Please to see that it will likely perform well. It is my first new PC since a desktop I got from PCS around 9 years ago which is now very slow and an old Toshiba laptop which is equally pedestrian.

Can't wait for it to arrive.........

I thought the 17 inch had the full RTX 2070 and not the max-q?

G0975

Hi Uber,

From my understanding the defiance features full 2060 and then the max Q ports upward. (2070 max q)

octadude

Hello there,I was just reading your forum post about how impressing you the laptop is.
Since it's been like 7 months owning this laptop would u still recommend it? I only have concerns about the thermals since some Youtubers said its pretty bad and also what about the keyboard, I love mechanical keyboards but some Youtubers are saying that it almost feels like those 20$ cheap keyboards, so whats your thoughts on that?
Thanks in advance.