Recoil II RTX2070, H8750, removing the heatsink

I tried to take off the heatsink to apply new thermal paste, removed all the obvious screws but it still wouldn't come off.

Are there any screws that I could have missed that are not visible, covered ???

Shepard

Enthusiast
Hi PuppetMajster,

please give the support team a ring, we're happy to talk you through it and can provide you with pictures and instructions once we had a look into your customer account and know which components you have.

KR
Shep

Just got off the phone with tech support. In a nutshell the guy couldn't help me because its Saturday😑 😤 and he doesn't have access to the manuals.

really ?

How come we don't have online access to the kind of stuff ? That should be available in our download section.

Shepard

Enthusiast
Hi there,

I'm very sorry that happened. If that hasn't been dealt with yet, feel free to give me your account number in a PM and I'll look into it for you.

KR
Shep

Hi,

I have managed to finally remove the heatsink on my own.

The tech guy who couldnt help me on Saturday emailed me on Monday saying that they dont have any manuals or pictures to help me...

btw I have never seen such a messy thermal paste job in my life, it was all over the place

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
What was the secret to removing it in the end, in case it helps anyone else wondering?

PCS can and do supply manuals and guide / talk people through procedures, at least in other instances discussed on these forums; it's a shame they didn't here.

I'd suggest feeding this all back to PCS. Maybe email them if Shepard doesn't pick up this thread. If you happened to take a photo of the bad paste job, worth sending that in too as part of the feedback. Give them the chance to check how their various processes allowed all this to happen.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I was going to suggest it's likely the CPU paste acting almost like a glue. It takes a little pressure to remove the heatsinks once pasted on.

My experience of the paste jobs from PCS has always left a lot to be desired to be honest. It's a very important aspect of creating a thermally efficient system but it doesn't seem to get focused training.

There are two flexible aluminium elements fixed to the motherboard and glued to the heatsink. I had to pry them of the heatsink and then it came off no problem.

pcs3.jpg

There is also a screw under number 1. Number 2 is exact same silver aluminum as no1 just covered with black plastic.

Unfortunately I dont have any pics with original paste applied :cautious: