Recoil III Flashing screen

While I was gaming this happened.

The screen started flashing like a strobe light.

Plugged the laptop through HDMI to my TV and the image on TV screen is fine.

So definitely a hardware issue with the screen.

Requested a RMA on Saturday. The laptop is 6 months old. :(

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's not entirely uncommon for the screen (or cable connecting the screen inside the laptop) to have issues in laptops unfortunately. I don't have stats, but anecdotally of the laptops my household has owned, when one has a fault, it's always been with the screen...

It's unlucky, I guess at least it happened in warranty

Im glad it is under warranty indeed.

This issue combined with a CPU that turns into a frying pan while gaming which causes thermal throttling really makes me regret my purchase.

I didnt like the slim chassis from day one. Now I know it was a mistake.

I have had MSI and Asus gaming laptops before. Theyre much more chunky but theres a good reason for it.

I got a feeling im goning to get rid of this one few months before warranty expires.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The Recoil II 15.6's thin chassis actually saw it cool and perform better than some of the others out there:

And thicker Defiance laptops from previous gens struggled harder with 4 core CPUs than the Recoil did with its 6-core.

It's certainly been a trend that Intel's laptop CPUs seem to be getting hotter and hotter, which when you think about what Intel are doing makes a degree of sense...

I don't know why there have been a few complaints of thermal issues on Recoil IIIs. Not a huge amount, but a few on these forums. Perhaps the 9th Gen CPUs are just that much hotter and the chassis wasn't revised appropriately by Tongfang.. perhaps Tongfang's firmware has changed the boosting / cooling behaviour.

When you say thermal throttling through, what do you mean? Pretty much all 8th and 9th Gen H- Series i7s will throttle and run relatively hot. Do you mean yours hits 100 degrees and drops clock speeds, or what exactly?

steban177

While I was gaming this happened.

The screen started flashing like a strobe light.

Plugged the laptop through HDMI to my TV and the image on TV screen is fine.

So definitely a hardware issue with the screen.

Requested a RMA on Saturday. The laptop is 6 months old. :(

Hey, did they repair it for you? My screen has just started doing the same, though I'm now out of parts warranty

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey, did they repair it for you? My screen has just started doing the same, though I'm now out of parts warranty
This is usually related to either the backlight inverter starting to flake out (this was a known issue with a small batch of Recoil III screens), or with the screen cable deteriorating at the hinge.

It's usually easy to determine which issue it is as the screen cable issue, normally the flickering will disappear if the screen is tilted to a certain angle.

My guess is it's the backlight inverter in which case a screen replacement would be required.

Even though you're out of parts warranty, don't let that put you off contacting PCS, it's possible there's a longer manufacturers warranty on the screen panel in which case PCS would honour that despite theirs having run out.

Either way though, they will diagnose it for you for free and give you accurate options going forward.

They repaired it alright.

9 months later same thing happened. Been waiting since beginning of June to have it collected. I lost count how many times courier didnt show up.

Cant wait to have it back and sell it to end this nightmare.

They lost a client and probably few potential buyers among my friends.

KK9837

I have the same issue. Recoil laptop purchased in Feb 2019. The first time it happened was after a few months and it was fixed. Now it is happening again 12 months later.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have the same issue. Recoil laptop purchased in Feb 2019. The first time it happened was after a few months and it was fixed. Now it is happening again 12 months later.
I'm afraid you'll need to talk to PCS. This forum is not an official support channel and there is nothing that anyone on here can do to help with what is almost certainly a hardware issue.