RECOIL III - i7-9750h & 2070 RTX : Temps problem

bravel

Hi there,

I recently got my new laptop, which I wanted to write a full review on.
However, it seems I got problems on cooling my CPU.

What I did :
Bought the good thermal paste from PCS.
I installed a fresh version of Windows
Installed all drivers & game center. By default the undervoltage is -50mV.
During my tests, fans are in TURBO MODE to get potentially get the best cooling solution.
Ran a 3DMark TimeSpy test : Score 7232 and cores going up to 100°C

I then installed Intel XTU to undervolt the way to -125mV for both CPU and CPU Cache.
Did several ingame tests and other apps, temps going to high 90's (got screens of everything).
My 3DMark score went up to 7572. My temps are still really bad and my CPU both Thermal and Power throttles.

By the way, while playing, my CPU is also throttling a lot, just gaving you an example of PUBG game :

I now installed and tried ThrottleStop instead of Intel XTU to undervolt both CPU and CPU cache to -125mV with the same results using AIDA64 to stress CPU :

I then undervolted "Intel GPU" to -.050mV in ThrottleStop. Here is the screen after about an hour of Overwatch gaming.
16 - OW -125mv-50mV TS + Turbo Mode + pHYSx +equilibrium.png

Do you know where the issue may come from ?
I think my TDP is a bit high, isn't it ?
May I change thermal paste by myself or will it break warranty ?
Should I return this computer to PCS and ask for an exchange ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

PS : If you need more screens of ingame tests, I can provide it.

Last edited:

Peterkse

Hi. I got my Recoil III 9750H 2070RTX a few days ago.
I have run the 3Dmark and got similar results
In Turbo mode but have extra cooling pad

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
So 3 cores were max 74/76/77 degrees. And the other 3 were 94/98/99 degrees.

And I'm assuming this is after the bit of the benchmark that loads the CPU to 100% to test CPU performance.

Bad paste job?

Peterkse

its core 1,3 and 5. Same in Bravel results core 1,3,5 have lowest temp.
Run new one without cooling pad

This is very interesting for me

Last edited:

bravel

Hi,

I made several tests trough those days.
I bought a cooling pad, which helped me for few degrees (2-6C°).

I actually used ThrottleStop to change settings, and after setting down the TDP, activating the SpeedShift and putting it to 128 and some others values (undervolt of CPU Core, CPU Cache & Intel GPU).
I managed to get better tempsto the detriment of some performances, seems to.

Here are my screens of tests :
PUBG Session
-120mV on CPU Core & Cache and -50mV on Intel GPU
Turbo Boost Long Power Max : 70
Turbo Boost Short Power Max : 75
SpeedShift : Enabled, 128.
I use a cooling pad, but his performances depends on the room temperature, by the way.

So after a session of PUBG, my temps would not exceed 90°C, using the cooling pad under my laptop.

By the way, I do lost performances by activating the SpeedShift, but it brings me such good temps compared to start.

I'm able to reach ~2800 score in Cinebench r20. Didn't do the 3DMark test for moment.

When Stressing CPU using AIDA64, temps got back to 95°C even with those settings. Guess our PC's are faulty. Thermal paste should've a problem, even with the "good manufacture" one....

- Are our laptops faulty or the out of stock temps are "normal", knowing that those temperatures (100°C) are usually damaging hardware and resulting to failing in 6months-1year ? Should we send back laptop to PCS ? I think it's really abnormal to get those temperatures !!

- Can we repaste without breaking warranty ?

- If you need, I can provide screens of all parameters in ThrottleStop, but don't forget that those values are for my computer and may not work with another.

Thanks for your feedbacks, hope we got help, this a really big issue. And getting no response here from technical staff is also abnormal.

Last edited:
i7-9750 +2070 means it will run HOT under load, but it shouldn't reach 100C
IF you know what you're doing: repaste your laptop yourself, pcs allows this.
Otherwise contact pcs, let them repaste it and test for throttling

Peterkse

I did.And they responded.
''Thanks for getting in touch with us.
I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your system. Did you open the system and gave it a good clean? ''

Received laptop 2 weeks ago. Come on!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
My money is on the paste job, at least for starters. It appears uneven to start with. The temperature variation with some of those screenshots is wild. Would be curious to see a picture as I think this is one of PCS' downfalls. It must cost them an absolute fortune in shipping and hassle.... and that's only with the customers that do the due diligence.

My eyebrow would raise for any more than a 3°C delta. It can happen, of course, it's just unusual.

bravel

Hello,

The PCS support doesn't feels concerned about their customers, I feel so....
So you think I should get it back to PCS to get a new thermal paste ? I can do it by myself, but I don't want to waste my warranty if something gets broken.

Thanks for your answer.

Peterkse

My RMA request has been approved and is awaiting collection. I'm sure PCS will sort it out and I'll have it back in few days.
Good luck BRAVEL with your Recoil

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Personally I would do it myself. You are allowed to open your system. As long as you are competent and don't damage anything your warranty will remain intact.

I had a few issues with my system when I first got it, each time requiring the CPU be re-pasted. Each time I received the laptop back (3 times in total) I had to re-paste as it had been put on with a trowel.

bravel

Okay, I got Artic MX-2, does it suits and may get better performance in this laptop ?

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
MX-2 is OK, better than standard that's for sure. I would aim for a Thermal Grizzly one though.

No harm in swapping it out just now and ordering a better one for a change in a month or so to see how the temps go.

bravel

My RMA request has been approved and is awaiting collection. I'm sure PCS will sort it out and I'll have it back in few days.
Good luck BRAVEL with your Recoil

Hello, please tell us what the problem was and how they solved it !

Thanks.

MX-2 is OK, better than standard that's for sure. I would aim for a Thermal Grizzly one though.

No harm in swapping it out just now and ordering a better one for a change in a month or so to see how the temps go.

True that, I'll give it a go. Is « Cooler Master Mastergel » better than MX-2 ?

Thanks.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Never used cooler master mastergel so I can't comment. MX-2 is a well known good paste. It's old now, with the more modern metallic TIMs coming into play.

Jan

I have exactly the same laptop: 17" Recoil III RTX, i7 9750, rtx 2070, 32GB ram... I was using it only 2 weeks and I have returned it due to high temperatures. I undervolted CPU and cache to -135v but temps were still around 97°C during the CPU stress tests. I played Rage 2 on max settings and multiple cores were hitting 100°C after 15 minutes of gaming. Customer service suggested to return laptop to do some checks. It took them 7 working days since they received my laptop to start "fixing" it.
They repasted cpu with Noctua thermal paste (original paste was Cooler Master). They said they managed to lower max temperatures from 97°C to 96°C and that is the best temperature they can get out of my system...
I will get my laptop back next week but I expect it to be exactly the same as it was before RMA. I don`t know what to do to be honest...

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
That doesn't sound right, especially if it has an undervolt already. I'd probably ask for a refund if it's within the window.

Jan

That doesn't sound right, especially if it has an undervolt already. I'd probably ask for a refund if it's within the window.
Unfortunately refund window is only 14 days and I wasted time with RMA instead of asking for refund. I was hoping they can do something about the issue because it looks like a great laptop

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Unfortunately refund window is only 14 days and I wasted time with RMA instead of asking for refund. I was hoping they can do something about the issue because it looks like a great laptop
Even if you’re outside of the 14 days you’re still up for a refund if the device can’t perform.

Jan

Even if you’re outside of the 14 days you’re still up for a refund if the device can’t perform.
I understand. I keep asking them simple question: "are temperatures above 95°C while I`m gaming normal or my system has problem with overheating?" They replied that 96°C is the best temperature they can get out of my system while stress testing so I should have better temperatures while playing games. Rage 2 on max settings seems to be heavy on cpu and additional heat (not present during the cpu stress tests) from rtx 2070 got me to 100°C after 15 minutes... they seems to be ready to send laptop back to me and I`m afraid that they will not admit that it`s not ok and I can get full refund