Recoil-III laptop monitor not connected to RTX card

kirkol

Bought a brand new Recoil-III laptop with RTX 2060. It did not come with any drivers loaded for the RTX card. I was asked by Tech support to download from NVidia website which I did. Even after that my laptop monitor shows that its connected to Intel UHD graphics card. Only my external Philips monitor connected via HDMI shows that its connected to the RTX card.
How do get my Laptop monitor to be connected to the RTX card instead of Intel UHD graphics ?

Attachments

• external_monitor_connected_to_rtx.JPG
    external_monitor_connected_to_rtx.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 247
  • global_nvidia_settings.JPG
    global_nvidia_settings.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 182
  • laptop_monitor_connected_to_intel.JPG
    laptop_monitor_connected_to_intel.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 247
  • windows_display_settings.JPG
    windows_display_settings.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 204

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Laptop graphics switch between internal and external depending on what’s running. It should be running of igpu when connected to your main monitor.

what you’re seeing is good and healthy and as the laptop is designed.

Are you having any problems with it?

kirkol

You probably misunderstood the screenshots.The screenshot is showing the nvidia gpu connected when i connect an external monitor via hdmi. it is not in use until then. without an external monitor and with my laptop monitor alone there is no way for me to use the nvidia gpu. the only gpu the laptop monitor is connected to is the intel uhd gpu.

kirkol

Nope. Tried all possible configurations. Nothing will allow me to make my laptop monitor be connected to the nvidia gpu.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Nope. Tried all possible configurations. Nothing will allow me to make my laptop monitor be connected to the nvidia gpu.
Then windows isn't configured correctly.

I'd personally do a reinstall of windows allowing windows to install all drivers apart from nvidia ones which you can manually install and gaming center (I think it's called) which you can install from the downloads folder on PCS site.

Monarch

Administrator
Staff member
Hi folks,

@kirkol, thank you for calling in and discussing the matter with me, my current understanding is that the machine is working as intended for hybridized graphics on a laptop. The Dedicated GPU will not show as "connected" in the Nvidia control panel but will work in a switching capacity when called upon by a graphical workload. The reason it is showing up only when you have a monitor connected is because the outputs to other monitors on laptops of this kind power the external monitors from the RTX GPU only. This is the normal behaviour I would expect to see on a laptop with switchable graphics.

We left our conversation that you were going to try some games on your laptop to see if the GPU is being switched to as it should and you get the full performance of the GPU and not the CPU graphics. Hopefully the result is positive!