Recoil III - Someone put the 17" specs into the 15"!

TheUberMedic

Eluktronics, a reseller in the US, managed to place the guts of a TongFang GK7 (17") into a GK5 (15"). The full, non MaxQ RTX 2070 in the 15 inch chassis while having a slight increase to temps. Sounds freaking awesome. They took this one step further with the 9th gen and got a feature called "ElukBoost" where the 15" will boost to the full 115w like the non MaxQ 2070. On the 17", it boosts to 125W. I'm hoping once I order my Recoil III I can flash their bios and get that ElukBoost feature but they did mention there was a slight modification to their motherboards so maybe not...
If I can get the 15" to perform like the 17", that'll be the best thing for me to get :D
If not, I'll settle for the 17" :p

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you flash the BIOS with a non-standard BIOS you will likely void your warranty. I strongly suggest that you talk to PCS before you even consider doing that.

The other major concern I'd have with what you describe above is how they keep it cool, especially when all that power is being fully exploited? Never forget that there is no such thing as a free lunch.....

TheUberMedic

If you flash the BIOS with a non-standard BIOS you will likely void your warranty. I strongly suggest that you talk to PCS before you even consider doing that.

The other major concern I'd have with what you describe above is how they keep it cool, especially when all that power is being fully exploited? Never forget that there is no such thing as a free lunch.....
Eh, I know all about the flashing the bios will void the warrently. I don't mind the risk :)
Sadly though, they're now locking their bioses and that ElukBoost feature is only possible due to a hardware mod they requested from TongFang so no full 2070 for me in a 15" chassis :(

As for cooling it, they probably used some aftermarket thermal paste or liquid metal.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As for cooling it, they probably used some aftermarket thermal paste or liquid metal.

My concern would be that what you suggest only gets the heat away from the CPU/GPU but you still have to get that (additional) heat out of the case. That's not a trivial exercise IMO.