Recoil III with RTX 2070 drawing power from battery when plugged in

Singularity

Hi,

I've had the a Recoil III with RTX 2070 and i7 9750H for about 1.5 weeks and it is a truly lovely laptop. I plan on writing a review once I've had it a bit longer to work it through its paces.

Everything is going well with it but I'm baffled as to why when gaming (noticed it on one game) that when plugged in it appears to be pulling power from the battery during a 2hr session. I have it on Equilibrium mode in the gaming centre and Office mode using the dedicated power management button on the chassis. Windows settings are set to max performance. The laptop came with a 230W power supply which should be more than enough to run the laptop even at max full load. I think I got the right power supply with it as it has a kettle lead connection. The GPU and CPU are not overclocked. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be doing this. Anyone have a clue as to what is going on?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm pretty sure my laptop does the same with everything maxed out. It's a slow leakage of power from the battery, it certainly doesn't charge. That's with a 330w PSU on an Octane.

Singularity

I've not read any battery drain with this chassis and cpu/card. At the moment I can't reproduce the drain even when playing the same game, so probably some specific circumstance I can't put my finger on.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is it possible, I wonder, whether the battery management hardware is sufficiently intelligent to begin drawing power from the battery when it's reached full charge and allow the charger then to just keep the battery topped up? My line-interactive UPS works exactly that way; all the power always comes from the battery, the mains charger just keeps the battery topped up.

A useful experiment would be to see how the battery drain is when heavily discharged and on charge, when partially discharged and on charge and when fully charged but on charge.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Is it possible, I wonder, whether the battery management hardware is sufficiently intelligent to begin drawing power from the battery when it's reached full charge and allow the charger then to just keep the battery topped up? My line-interactive UPS works exactly that way; all the power always comes from the battery, the mains charger just keeps the battery topped up.

A useful experiment would be to see how the battery drain is when heavily discharged and on charge, when partially discharged and on charge and when fully charged but on charge.

Very good point, mine is set to only charge when the battery lowers below 50%. Apparently helps with battery longevity.

When gaming in this mode it definitely does drain, GTA5 was what I noticed it with..... but that was hammering my CPU/GPU with the settings I had on. I hit my max temps with this too. I didn't notice if it went below 50% though. It could explain why it would lower slightly then not top up.