Recoil IV battery upgrade

damole

Silver Level Poster
I bought a new higher capacty battery but the voltage on the battery is 15.2V and on the existing battery is 11.4V. Is this the right battery? As you can see the old battery became puffy. No idea how that happened.

https://www.replacement-batteries.co.uk/getac-laptop-battery/3687.html

Getac-GK5CN-battery.jpg

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I bought a new higher capacty battery but the voltage on the battery is 15.2V and on the existing battery is 11.4V. Is this the right battery? As you can see the old battery became puffy. No idea how that happened.

https://www.replacement-batteries.co.uk/getac-laptop-battery/3687.html

View attachment 18038
No it's not. You need the voltage, the polarity and the power capacity (in Watts) to match. The voltage must be identical, the power rating must be at least the same as the existing one but can be higher.

The swelling is a safety feature of Li-ion batteries. It's totally dead, don't use it or try and charge it.

When you have found a new battery of the right type you must dispose of the old one at an appropriate facility. You cannot just throw it into the trash.

damole

Silver Level Poster
I have just returned from India after being stuck because of lockdown. The battery has been puffy and working (charging) for a couple of months at least. I wll call PCS tomorrow and see if the battery is covered under fit for purpose

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have just returned from India after being stuck because of lockdown. The battery has been puffy and working (charging) for a couple of months at least. I wll call PCS tomorrow and see if the battery is covered under fit for purpose
I suspect that batteries are considered to be consumables, but calling PCS is the wise option. :)

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Even if the battery isnt covered under your warranty (sure it's 6 months...), you can at least get the correct battery from PCS without worrying.

damole

Silver Level Poster
I assume the 4 and the 3 on the model number refer to the number of cells. On the website it does say it is a replacement for the 3S1P. I guess the question would be does the motherboard have the appropriate voltage regulator. I also notice that the battery connector has many wires, are these different taps that provide different voltages.

I have posted the same question on NBR where I first read of people using higher capacity batteries. The replacement 3 cell same capacity battery is cheaper on the PCS website than this website.

damole

Silver Level Poster
I contacted PCS and without wanting to confirm it was OK I did get the sense it should be fine. I read many more posts on the NBR thread and finally installed it. It works fine. Tomorrow I will test the runtime.

Last edited:

damole

Silver Level Poster
Finally got the offical message back in my support account telling me the GK5 at the start of the model number means it is compatible as that is the same prefix as the laptop model number.

8beat

Finally got the offical message back in my support account telling me the GK5 at the start of the model number means it is compatible as that is the same prefix as the laptop model number.
Hi damole
I'd like to replace my Recoil battery as well. Currently I have the 11.4V, 3-cell model. I'd like to go for the 15.2V, 4-cell model to benefit from longer "unplugged" sessions with my laptop.
Can you confirm you were able to install the 15.2V, 4-cell model in your Recoil and got it up and running?

No it's not. You need the voltage, the polarity and the power capacity (in Watts) to match. The voltage must be identical, the power rating must be at least the same as the existing one but can be higher.

The swelling is a safety feature of Li-ion batteries. It's totally dead, don't use it or try and charge it.

When you have found a new battery of the right type you must dispose of the old one at an appropriate facility. You cannot just throw it into the trash.

Hi ubuysa
PCS Support tells me the same, they even do not sell the 4-cell battery for my model (TongFang GK7CP0S).
On top of this I see a small screw next to the battery slot that might prevent the longer 4-cell model to be installed (which makes sense as there is space to install a 4-cell model only if you remove the HDD - I never had one installed).

Attachments

• laptop battery.jpg
    laptop battery.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 53

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I suspect that screw/post may just be to stop the battery from moving. IMO if PCS don't sell the 4-cell battery I would leave well alone.