Recoil IV vs Vyper III Temperature

Vadim

Hello,
I'm hesitating between buying the Recoil IV 15' and the Vyper III 15' or 17'. I keep the same specs with both (RTX 2070 Super, I7-10875h, 32GB 2666 vRAM and 2TO SSD). What worries me the most is that the previous Recoil seems to be VERY hot, there were even some reviews were they said you could burn your fingers on some left touch while gaming. And since the 10875h is very hot, and cannot be undervolted (thanks Intel) I'm afraid that the laptop will burn me. I heard that the Vyper III is better in term of temps, especially the 17' inch version. However, since it's so thin (20mm, while the Recoil is 27mm) I'm still very dubious. Furthermore the Vyper only has a 62Wh battery, which might not be enough since I'll be taking this laptop to class. And the 17' inch version, with the 92wh battery is maybe a bit too large....
Does the Vyper III really has better temp than the Recoil IV? Or has the Recoil Iv managed to get better keyboard temperatures so we won't burn our finger?

Charlas

Enthusiast
Until mine is delivered I can't comment on the Vyper (17), but from seeing the few reviews around online for the chassis, it seems to manage temps pretty well. Remember temps aren't all about the size of the chassis in depth, but more on the routing of the internal components and heat pipes/fans etc. Also the 10th gen processors can be undervolted, just not from the OS, has to be done from the Bios.

I'd recommend using the improved thermal paste if you spec one of them, but if you can wait till mine arrives, I'll do a review online of it during unbox/setup etc. Then use it to edit the video and the likes, and give you my impressions of its performance and heat output.

Bilal89

I have
Hello,
I'm hesitating between buying the Recoil IV 15' and the Vyper III 15' or 17'. I keep the same specs with both (RTX 2070 Super, I7-10875h, 32GB 2666 vRAM and 2TO SSD). What worries me the most is that the previous Recoil seems to be VERY hot, there were even some reviews were they said you could burn your fingers on some left touch while gaming. And since the 10875h is very hot, and cannot be undervolted (thanks Intel) I'm afraid that the laptop will burn me. I heard that the Vyper III is better in term of temps, especially the 17' inch version. However, since it's so thin (20mm, while the Recoil is 27mm) I'm still very dubious. Furthermore the Vyper only has a 62Wh battery, which might not be enough since I'll be taking this laptop to class. And the 17' inch version, with the 92wh battery is maybe a bit too large....
Does the Vyper III really has better temp than the Recoil IV? Or has the Recoil Iv managed to get better keyboard temperatures so we won't burn our finger?
I have a vyper III 15.6 and I play starcraft II only my cpu gets very hot usually above 80 degrees sometimes 90 plus its also loud I wouldn't recommend Vyper III for gaming

Bilal89

Hello,
Another thing is that the battery when used intensively i.e watching HD movies and gaming will die within 2.5 hours but if you use power save mode and only for work you can get 4 hours to 5.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Look at the heatsink on the recoil IV(X170) compared to the Octanve V/VI(P775)

1590493519531.png

Charlas

Enthusiast
Remember though that the Vyper 17 is a Tongfang gm7mp0p chassis, so not the same as the 15.6 one, and thermals are liekly to be pretty different.

The reviews seem decent so far, although not many around.

Last edited:

Vadim

Thank you everyone for your response. I think I'll wait until Charlas gets his laptop. But I think I'm leaning toward the Recoil. I'll probably return the computer if it is unbearably hot.

Last edited:

Charlas

Enthusiast
I'll let you know when I get it for sure. I need portability hence why I've gone for one that can be travelled with.

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
I received my Vyper 17 two weeks ago and (with a few small exceptions) I am very pleased with it. Since I ran all the windows updates it has run surprisingly cool - I have had no issues with it getting too hot. It is surprisingly light and thin for such a powerful laptop; I'd have had no issues taking it to class personally, but your experience may vary. My only real issues (and they are all minor) are:

• - The camera placement is awful - having the camera below the screen gives the most unflattering view of your face (mostly chin!) you can have. I personally use an external webcam now, which is a minor inconvenience.
  • - The speakers are on the bottom of the machine facing down, so when it is sitting on my cooling pad the sound is pretty terrible. Off the cooling pad the sound is better, but the speakers certainly won't be winning any awards.
  • - Two minor build quality issues that may be unique to my machine - the white lettering on some of the keys has already started rubbing off (this is pretty normal for the WASD keys on a gaming laptop, but I've only had this for two weeks!), and the cord doesn't fit very snug into the power brick, so I keep having to push the plug cord in. I have support tickets in for both issues.
Other than those issues, I am super happy with my Vyper 17. It is unbelievable how powerful this machine is with such a light/thin form factor.

Vadim

I received my Vyper 17 two weeks ago and (with a few small exceptions) I am very pleased with it. Since I ran all the windows updates it has run surprisingly cool - I have had no issues with it getting too hot. It is surprisingly light and thin for such a powerful laptop; I'd have had no issues taking it to class personally, but your experience may vary. My only real issues (and they are all minor) are:

• - The camera placement is awful - having the camera below the screen gives the most unflattering view of your face (mostly chin!) you can have. I personally use an external webcam now, which is a minor inconvenience.
  • - The speakers are on the bottom of the machine facing down, so when it is sitting on my cooling pad the sound is pretty terrible. Off the cooling pad the sound is better, but the speakers certainly won't be winning any awards.
  • - Two minor build quality issues that may be unique to my machine - the white lettering on some of the keys has already started rubbing off (this is pretty normal for the WASD keys on a gaming laptop, but I've only had this for two weeks!), and the cord doesn't fit very snug into the power brick, so I keep having to push the plug cord in. I have support tickets in for both issues.
Other than those issues, I am super happy with my Vyper 17. It is unbelievable how powerful this machine is with such a light/thin form factor.
Thanks for the input! I think you just sold me the laptop for now. Will probably have to change backpack though, it may be too big. But thanks!

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Thank you everyone for your response. I think I'll wait until Charlas gets his laptop. But I think I'm leaning toward the Recoil. I'll probably return the computer if it is unbearably hot.

With an unlocked chip you can always just down-clock for everyday use and set up a profile for overclocking for when you need it. You're not forced to run it at high temperatures.

Charlas

Enthusiast
Well, that's me happier now, at least I know one of em out there isn't a horror show :) Can't wait for mine now

AX10

The Vyper 3 can be undervolted in the OS (Throttlestop for example) as well as the BIOS.

I have

I have a vyper III 15.6 and I play starcraft II only my cpu gets very hot usually above 80 degrees sometimes 90 plus its also loud I wouldn't recommend Vyper III for gaming

If you're concerned with the temps/the noise play on office mode ans it should stay below 80 without the turbo of the fans.

Last edited:

AX10

I have the same issue with the power brick. Can you post on here when you receive a reply from support please?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have the same issue with the power brick. Can you post on here when you receive a reply from support please?
What specifically is the problem? Is it the mains lead that drops out of the power brick or the connector that drops out of the laptop?

AX10

What specifically is the problem? Is it the mains lead that drops out of the power brick or the connector that drops out of the laptop?

It's the mains lead dropping out of the power brick.

It never feels like its 100% securely inside, and any movement will lead to it falling out.