Recoil laptop screen very dim suddenly

sidsif

Hi,

I was playing a game today and my laptop screen suddenly dropped in brightness.

I checked the windows display setting and set the brightness to 100% but this looks the same as 0% (not bright at all)
Strangely the screen is a little bit brighter if I move the slider to around 50%

When I move the brightness slider the screen would flicker. If I leave the brightness on a setting which is brighter than 0, after about a minute it would reset to 0

The laptop is always plugged in and I have not had this issue before. This is a recoil II with the rtx 2060 which I got around 8 months ago

I tried restarting the pc which did not help. The display has the latest driver according to windows

Is there something obvious I am missing or should I just call PCS?

Many thanks in advance for any replies

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

I was playing a game today and my laptop screen suddenly dropped in brightness.

I checked the windows display setting and set the brightness to 100% but this looks the same as 0% (not bright at all)
Strangely the screen is a little bit brighter if I move the slider to around 50%

When I move the brightness slider the screen would flicker. If I leave the brightness on a setting which is brighter than 0, after about a minute it would reset to 0

The laptop is always plugged in and I have not had this issue before. This is a recoil II with the rtx 2060 which I got around 8 months ago

I tried restarting the pc which did not help. The display has the latest driver according to windows

Is there something obvious I am missing or should I just call PCS?

Many thanks in advance for any replies
I would log it with PCS and mention the power issue you had previously, they might be connected. I recall someone previously having a very similar issue, trying to find out what happened.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There was a guy that posted the same initial symptom of the screen going dim after 50% brightness, it then developed to flickering. This was on a Recoil 2 with 2070. We suggested he contact PCS as it may be an issue with the backlight in the screen.

Annoyingly he never followed up with what happened after the RMA, so none the wiser I'm afraid.

I would definitely log it with PCS first thing tomorrow morning and as I said, mention the powering on issue you had recently as it may be important.

They're open from 9am tomorrow, I'd suggest calling rather than emailing as email can take a few days for a response:

0333 011 7000

sidsif

Many thanks for the quick reply. You mods are awesome

I just called the PCS number but it goes to voicemail.

I have left both an email and a voicemail with PCS this morning

I will let you know when I get a response and keep you guys posted

I do notice that as I adjust the brightness up and down the screen makes this high pitched sound. Weird

sidsif

I managed to get through to PCS.

PCS initially advised reinstalling the gaming center, intel/Nvidia graphics drivers which did not help. I then looked inside the laptop with PCS guidance and could not see anything loose

I have had an RMA approved today so hopefully it will get fixed. The guy said it could be a screen hardware issue such as the inverter or something

Will keep you guys posted.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I managed to get through to PCS.

PCS initially advised reinstalling the gaming center, intel/Nvidia graphics drivers which did not help. I then looked inside the laptop with PCS guidance and could not see anything loose

I have had an RMA approved today so hopefully it will get fixed. The guy said it could be a screen hardware issue such as the inverter or something

Will keep you guys posted.
Yeah, considering the noise you’re getting on top of the dimming, it does sound like it could be a faulty inverter.

Do keep us posted, would love to know what the fix is.

sidsif

Got my laptop back today. Screen seems to be working properly

I got an email from pcs that explained that it was a faulty motherboard which needed to be replaced