Recoil V 17" Queries

rarghrhead

I didn't get any answers from emailing support so I was wondering if an owner can confirm some details
- Is there's a switch between dedicated graphics and the cpu integrated one?
- How bright does the screen panel get (500nits) and is there a G-Sync option?
- I've got a copy of windows 10 license which I can transfer to a new machine so I don't require an OS but not selecting one locks me out of the recovery software and drivers in the options. Is there an alternate way to obtain drivers / software the system needs to run?
- Could you post some pictures of the internals specifically heatsinks, extra slots and expandable components?

Chimp

I can answer some of your queries.. I have one myself that arrived last week.

- this YouTube video isn’t a PCS build, but it’s the same Clevo chassis, so all the cooling system/internals are the same.

The GPU is wired straight to the display, so no, there’s no Mux switch or Optimus. No need with a laptop like this, as battery life is dismal without it being plugged in (it’s a desktop replacement, you can’t expect more than a few hours browsing).

I can’t answer about the exact nits but I can say it’s plenty bright enough? I use it in a bright room with a window behind me. I close the blinds in direct sunlight but ambient room brightness it’s fine. It is a G-Sync display.

No idea about the OS and drivers, that’s probably worth a phone call to PCS - but I’d guess it wouldn’t be an issue. When your laptop ships you have access to PCS driver downloads on your account on the website.

rarghrhead

Thanks for answering. It looks bigger than my previous clevo build from 10 years ago. Does it really need 2 power bricks? I've not seen that before. You're not kidding about being a desktop replacement this looks far more powerful than other high end laptop gaming setups out there.

I didn't realise at the time of posting the recoil 15 and 17 versions use different chassis as I was contemplating the amd setup primarily. I just started a return for a faulty legion 5 pro and I'm leaning towards one of the recoil setups when I get my refund.

Thanks again.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for answering. It looks bigger than my previous clevo build from 10 years ago. Does it really need 2 power bricks? I've not seen that before. You're not kidding about being a desktop replacement this looks far more powerful than other high end laptop gaming setups out there.

I didn't realise at the time of posting the recoil 15 and 17 versions use different chassis as I was contemplating the amd setup primarily. I just started a return for a faulty legion 5 pro and I'm leaning towards one of the recoil setups when I get my refund.

Thanks again.
It’s not a laptop, it’s a DTR (desktop replacement) and as such has desktop cpus, so has no graphics switching like on a laptop, and therefor requires a lot more power, hence the two power bricks. A DTR is not designed to be portable, and has next to zero battery life. They’re also heavy and large compared to a laptop.

If you order without OS, you get an online account with all the required drivers.

You don’t need recovery software for any build, you just download the latest windows 10 image direct from Microsoft.

rarghrhead

Well I guess I'm going to have to re-evaluate my requirements. I've not had a proper desktop machine for 15 years as I've always used a machine for work and pleasure. It might be better in my case to get a dedicated performance desktop then. I was flirting with the idea as I do miss having a fully powered system.

My machine I'm using now is a vortex (clevo p150hm) i7 2670qm with a gtx 470m (circa 2011). I've had to replace the original graphics card (gtx 560m) when that packed in 3 years ago.

Chimp

Yeah the Recoil 17 is very heavy, and wouldn't be comfortable (nor good for it's cooling) having it on your lap. It definitely needs both power bricks plugged in to get good performance from it. DTR laptops are ultimately for a specific bit of the market - eg my case, I don't have room for a desktop setup and separate screen etc, but I can get away with the all in one laptop which, when needed, can be put away. It was the compromise that the wife allowed!