Recommendations for a modem router for gaming over wi-fi

MisterCrow

Hi,

I’ve been experiencing lag spikes between my PC and router for some time now (lag spikes are apparent when pinging the router). It’s not terrible, but it is annoying when playing online games.

After much investigating and testing, I’ve come to the conclusion that the problem lies with wi-fi signal from the router, my internet connection is fine, and it’s not to do with interference on certain channels, or wi-fi drivers. Unfortunately, I’m forced to use wi-fi for gaming as running a cable from my desktop to my router is just not feasible in my house.

I’ve tried powerlines and they’ve not worked well.

Therefore I’m looking for recommendations for a good modem router. My criteria are that:

- It must be an ADSL modem router (not just a router). I don’t want two devices in our lounge as we don’t have the space on the side table, and it’ll look unsightly.

- The modem router should not be big and ugly, like so many gaming ones seem to look (e.g this)

- It can provide as reliable wi-fi connection as possible for gaming (no lag spikes). I’m not streaming 4k or sending huge files across the LAN so I don’t need fancy new technologies. I’m the only gamer in my household, my wife often streams Netflix / Prime, etc, but that’s it. It just needs to support both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, which is pretty much a given these days.

- Ideally (though not a game changer) it should allow me to configure QoS.

Can anyone recommend a modem router based on the above criteria? I’ve had Netgear ones in the past that have been pretty reliable. Am currently using the modem router provided by my ISP (Plusnet), which isn’t great. ISP’s seem to often give their customers shoddy equipment nowadays.

Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

I’ve been experiencing lag spikes between my PC and router for some time now (lag spikes are apparent when pinging the router). It’s not terrible, but it is annoying when playing online games.

After much investigating and testing, I’ve come to the conclusion that the problem lies with wi-fi signal from the router, my internet connection is fine, and it’s not to do with interference on certain channels, or wi-fi drivers. Unfortunately, I’m forced to use wi-fi for gaming as running a cable from my desktop to my router is just not feasible in my house.

I’ve tried powerlines and they’ve not worked well.

Therefore I’m looking for recommendations for a good modem router. My criteria are that:

- It must be an ADSL modem router (not just a router). I don’t want two devices in our lounge as we don’t have the space on the side table, and it’ll look unsightly.

- The modem router should not be big and ugly, like so many gaming ones seem to look (e.g this)

- It can provide as reliable wi-fi connection as possible for gaming (no lag spikes). I’m not streaming 4k or sending huge files across the LAN so I don’t need fancy new technologies. I’m the only gamer in my household, my wife often streams Netflix / Prime, etc, but that’s it. It just needs to support both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, which is pretty much a given these days.

- Ideally (though not a game changer) it should allow me to configure QoS.

Can anyone recommend a modem router based on the above criteria? I’ve had Netgear ones in the past that have been pretty reliable. Am currently using the modem router provided by my ISP (Plusnet), which isn’t great. ISP’s seem to often give their customers shoddy equipment nowadays.

Thanks
I'll rock the boat and give two options here:

1/. Following your request, I've found Asus routers to be superb over the last 5 years or so and am still running one. Excellent setup, excellent performance and excellent features. This is the only one they still make that supports ADSL (you'll find very few these days):

2/. What I would recommend is turn your existing router into bridge mode, and then pass the feed into a mesh wifi system, if you're sure the router is getting stable pings to public IP's and that's not the bottleneck.

You would by the sounds of it only need 2 mesh pucks which reduces cost.

The Netgear Orbi are consider the cream of the crop. They're expensive but fully expandable and a very worthwhile investment.

MisterCrow

Thanks. Second option looks good. I can probably hide my existing hub behind the furniture. Would simply turning the wi-fi off on the hub be sufficient, given the orbs plug directly into the hub (and effectively function as wif-fi access points)? The modem router provided by my ISP doesn't support bridging, so I'd have to buy a separate modem.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks. Second option looks good. I can probably hide my existing hub behind the furniture. Would simply turning the wi-fi off on the hub be sufficient, given the orbs plug directly into the hub (and effectively function as wif-fi access points)?
That's one step, but you then have to put your current router into bridge mode which effectively turns it into a simple modem (ie disables the router supplying the DHCP server) and passes the internet feed to the netgear orbi. That's the only are that may be a conflict is if your current router supports bridge mode or not. If you post the model (should be on the product label on the rear) I can look into that for you. You CAN set it up without bridge mode, but it will lead to a double NAT scenario where essentially you've got the one network on your router, and you have to manually configure it to transfer on to the secondary network of the wifi pucks, can get a bit fiddly and may lead to issues for gaming traffic routing.

Then it's normal ethernet to the primary wifi puck, and the second connects wirelessly. All mesh systems come with incredibly user friendly mobile apps for setup and management, it will make even the highest end router look like the management interface is from the 1960's.

I can't say how much improvement mesh wifi is without sounding crazy, I installed it in 2016 after having spent so much money on extenders and homeplugs and still experiencing poor speeds, coverage and drop outs.

Since installing mesh (google wifi), I haven't had one drop out, literally never one device operating slower than expected, and blanket coverage over the entire house and garden.

The time saved troubleshooting is to me worth the initial outlay of the expensive equipment, it's paid it off in spades. The daily satisfaction from bulletproof wifi is far more valuable.

MisterCrow

Ahh yeah, I forgot about DHCP. Yeah I'm pretty sure the hub I have (Plusnet One) doesn't support bridging.

Thanks for your help - lots to think about :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ahh yeah, I forgot about DHCP. Yeah I'm pretty sure the hub I have (Plusnet One) doesn't support bridging.

Thanks for your help - lots to think about :)
I did have mine set up with a double NAT and didn't have any issues, it's not that difficult depending on your networking knowledge.

BUT I wasn't doing any online gaming or anything where I needed good latency, so not sure what the lag was like.