Recommended Laptop Cooler

MrShteeeve

I'be recently ordered the Optimus II and I want to get a cooler for it as ill be using it as a desktop replacement more than anything. I had a crappy 15inch single fan cooler from staples for my last 17inch DV9 but I want a proper one this time! Can anyone recommend any particular models to me? Many thanks in advance guys, Steve.

samx300

Enthusiast
I'be recently ordered the Optimus II and I want to get a cooler for it as ill be using it as a desktop replacement more than anything. I had a crappy 15inch single fan cooler from staples for my last 17inch DV9 but I want a proper one this time! Can anyone recommend any particular models to me? Many thanks in advance guys, Steve.

I used a Zalman NC1500 for my Asus G51J for about 1.5yr. It was great and did a good job of keeping my system temps in control.

For the current gen Notebook coolers, you can try the Zalman NC 3000U and few other from Cooler Master and Antec. They should all be in the range of £12-50.
But getting one will definitely enhance the longevity of your components :)

Greenman

Enthusiast
I picked up the Zalman ZM-NC1500 quite cheap for my HP oven, it doesn't exactly keep the temps down much but when in use there is a definite drop in the fan activity.

MrShteeeve

Thanks for the replies guys, looked about a bit online for the zalman and I will need the 3000 series, although Ive found a cooler master infinite series for a tender cheaper on eBay compared to the zalman. Is the zalman worth the extra money or should I go for the cooler master one?

samx300

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies guys, looked about a bit online for the zalman and I will need the 3000 series, although Ive found a cooler master infinite series for a tender cheaper on eBay compared to the zalman. Is the zalman worth the extra money or should I go for the cooler master one?

I'd suggest the Zalman for the extra ££. It has better cooling - bigger fans (220mm axial, hence higher cfm value). Also, it natively supports 17" laptops and has better fan RPM controls than the Cooler Master :) You can turn the RPM to absolute low when using the laptop for mundane tasks, thus reducing the noise.

MrShteeeve

Righto then ill get onto ordering the zalman then, I'd rather pay more and get the decent long lasting product at the end of the day, even though ill most likely only be playing games like FFXIV and the Red Alert series (the missus may play the odd sims 3) I'd rather be safe than sorry and keep everything in working order :). Cheers for the quick replies, have some rep :).

Greenman

Enthusiast
Ye, Zalman is good.
On a seperate note, I'm looking at the Optimus II with the exact same specs as yours, could you let me know how it is when you recieve it? :3

MrShteeeve

Ah ok thanks :). Yeah sure I can do that, and ill have pics to boot :p. Although it was processed on the 11th in pre-pro on the 17th, and hasn't changed since, hopefully ill get it soon! :D

skakruk

Why not make one? The thing is - its hard to find a cooling dock that will suit your laptop perfectly (and optimus is a large lappy after all). So why not take a sturdy piece of plywood or metal, drill a lot of holes in it and attach a 1-pound-worth-usb-powered fan or two? This way you can choose the best position for the fan(s) to be placed. Old metal covers from PC towers can be a good choice of a material (especially if the wall already has a bunch of venting holes in it). The challenge is of-course to make enough holes without the thing collapsing on you XD

Randomthom

Silver Level Poster
I bought the Zalman NC2500, it has brought temperatures under load down by about 10-15 degrees C, is barely audible itself and also works as a USB hub and an external hard-drive bay (SATA 2.5").
The laptop doesn't move when on it (the bottom of the slant has a rubber strip) and the cooler doesn't move on it's surface (rubber feet).

I'd recommend this product very highly!

MrShteeeve

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, i ended up getting the Zalman NC3000S and it works very well, my lap actually gets pretty cold when using it! I did install temp monitoring programs and comparitively it does make a difference of up to 12 degrees (while folding) so I'm very pleased with it indeed. Alas the mrs doesn't quite see the point of it all... But she'll come around!;)

samx300

Enthusiast
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, i ended up getting the Zalman NC3000S and it works very well, my lap actually gets pretty cold when using it! I did install temp monitoring programs and comparitively it does make a difference of up to 12 degrees (while folding) so I'm very pleased with it indeed. Alas the mrs doesn't quite see the point of it all... But she'll come around!;)

Glad you found the NB cooler helpful :) and cheers for making the right decision with Zalman! Have some REP ;)