Recommended power supply

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
The component I'm least knowledgeable on is PSU and how much power a build is likely to consume. Indeed, on builds in the configurator I'm just trusting the PCS auto guide which lets you know if you should up the power supply.

But I've just watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq-zqQiY-OA which shows peak power consumption as being 625W under peak synthetic load.

And that's a PC with a six-core 4930k CPU and dual 780ti's in SLI. Yet a similar build on the PCS configurator suggests you need a 1200W PSU.

There's a £150 difference between a 750W PSU and a 1200W PSU... that's a GPU upgrade in some instances and just an unnecessary cost. So what is the most reliable way of deciding what size PSU one should get with a PC?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
There are a few factors you must consider.

1. The efficiency of the PSU. Standard is 85%+ but thats still 15% (nearly 100w of 625w).

2. Then there is the aging of the PSU and other components. Efficiency tends to decrease over time meaning more power required.

3. A lot of components vary as well especially graphics card where one may require more power than the other

4. Overclocking must also be considered, even if its not covered under warranty PCS would rather not have to go through the trouble of replacing processors and stuff as they still offer free labour for 3 years (warranty or no warranty)

5. PCS are a company that sell pre-built computers and like Dell, HP etc they must cover their own back for the worst, they must be 110% sure that components will work perfectly. If they don't and someone suffers a power shortage from the PSU which could cause an issue then PCS will have to replace it at their own expense.

6. And PCS most likely use the manufacturer ratings to calculate power requirements, which are usually over-estimates to cover their own backs. And on top of that PCS use an additional 20%.

And the PSU is more important than any other component in the system, do not risk it by getting something that may not be capable of powering the PC in a couple of years time

Last edited: