Reducing temp/CPU power

SDFilm

Hi, I have a 17.3 Vyper and I find that when gaming the fan speed is often the most important thing that I worry about rather than FPS rates etc. The laptop is on a Cooler Master board, external dusting each week and hasn't yet had an internal clean since it's only about a month old. When idleing it sits at 40-50c and when under full load it's at 84c. On benchmark graphics tests with Total War Warhammer 2 it's had an average FPS of 160 and a worst FPS of 102.

I'd happily exchange some frame rate for a lower CPU work rate and lower temperatures; I've read that this can be done but is it easy and safe to do?

On a side note, my laptop automatically turns itself off on Fridays, giving a minute's warning before shutting down with no option to cancel. This appears to be something to do with Windows rather than a heat problem as it happens even when the laptop is idle.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

FerrariVie

Super Star
Hi, I have a 17.3 Vyper and I find that when gaming the fan speed is often the most important thing that I worry about rather than FPS rates etc. The laptop is on a Cooler Master board, external dusting each week and hasn't yet had an internal clean since it's only about a month old. When idleing it sits at 40-50c and when under full load it's at 84c. On benchmark graphics tests with Total War Warhammer 2 it's had an average FPS of 160 and a worst FPS of 102.

I'd happily exchange some frame rate for a lower CPU work rate and lower temperatures; I've read that this can be done but is it easy and safe to do?

On a side note, my laptop automatically turns itself off on Fridays, giving a minute's warning before shutting down with no option to cancel. This appears to be something to do with Windows rather than a heat problem as it happens even when the laptop is idle.

Thanks for any advice.
So you have a few options here:
  • Limit the max FPS of your games on Nvidia Experience (easy option, but not so great results);
  • Undervolt the GPU using MSI Afterburner (medium difficulty option with a bit of a learning curve, but will get you better results);
  • Not sure if your CPU will allow undervolting as well, but it's worth trying (usually done with throttlestop, I would consider it advanced difficulty)
  • All/some of the above 😜
Below some tutorials to help you a bit:

Any questions, let us know (y)

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The Vyper has an Intel CPU doesn't it, so you'd need Intel XTU or throttlestop, but I think undervolting is difficult on 10th Gen chips.