Remote power activation

Jimfire

HI, OK so I don't know the technical term but is it possible to have the on/off button wired to an external switch?
Hmm I'll try and rework that question!!
So avid readers of my ongoing search for the perfect PC will know I want to fit it in my 'electrics' cupboard. I have all my home automation, Control4, DVD, Bose and HDmatrix as well as computer switches and patch panels. Before anyone panics it is attached to whole house ventilation so is extracted 24/7. Conditions are warm but not hot.

ANYWAY. Rather than open up the cupboard each day to turn it on I wondered if I could either wire in a switch on the wall outside OR MORE PERFECTLY I could wire it to my home automation (Loxone) and have the PC fired up when the PIR dectects me walking into the room. If the latter the Loxone analogue outputs 0-10vDC 20mA.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jim The firefighter

Lez501

Gold Level Poster
Yes, it is possible I suppose. The motherboard has a header that the "case" power switch connects to (please refer to your motherboard manual for it's location and pin layout). You can always disconnect that and attach an external one.
You would need to source a 2 pin plug (preferably from an old case), and use inline crimps to connect to the external switch.

However, I would strongly suggest you contact PCS as to regards of the warranty first.

steaky360

There are aftermarket systems to allow you to remotely activate your PC (ie with a remote control) so I'm sure you could link an IR blaster to your home automation system (in the worst case) but I'm sure something will exist to allow this to work :)

Jimfire

There are aftermarket systems to allow you to remotely activate your PC (ie with a remote control) so I'm sure you could link an IR blaster to your home automation system (in the worst case) but I'm sure something will exist to allow this to work :)

Ah no. My home automation is not IR. It is built into the house. So all PIR's are attached to the burglar alarm and when the house is empty they do their job. But when the house is unlocked the home automation deactivates the burglar alarm and the PIR's become more proactive. Turning the boiling water tap to active as you enter the kitchen. Turning lights on in rooms and putting the temperature to the correct setting. I could go on...:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

My plan is to set the system to turn the PC on in the morning at the same time the stairs PIR is activated. I would also have a lightswitch on double click in case I have turned the PC off during the day (unlikely as I work from home but you never know!)

Last edited:

mishra

Rising Star
Hmm you could enable Wake-on-LAN on your PC and that would allow you to switch on your PC using app on your mobile. I used that when my server was in cupboard but not sure how you could trigger that using PIR system.