Renting a house.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
So, Me n the Missus are going to be renting a house in the next few months. Whilst we did initially plan to buy a house straight away, we live with family and time has come that we need to move out. Kinda a long story. But the long and short of it is, we have to rent whilst we save for a deposit.

Whilst we'd love to rent a nice big 3/4 bed semi, which we could do for 600ish per month in the North. However, we are considering smaller 2/3 bed properties as it's a lil cheaper say 450-550. Ideally I'd like to keep the costs down as much as possible, so we can save more. Also, heating and council tax would be cheaper in a smaller property.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for first time renters?

oh and one area where i was a little concerned was concerning the locks. I do plan on changing the locks on day one. Mainly as the previous tenant could still have keys, but also im a little wary of landlords letting themselves in and what not. I've looked around on the net and from what I've read. Whilst it may be in the tenancy agreement clauses that you cannot change the locks. All tenant are aloud to change the locks anyway, providing you keep the old barrels. If the landlord didn't lake it, then he'd have to take me to court. Anyone got any advice on this matter?

thanks in advance.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Useful advice in a moment, but first... 3-4bed semi for £600 - sign me up for 2! Round here you get a hovel dug into the side of a hill for that. That's 1 bedroom flat territory round my way.... Anyway that's my problem :(

As far as renting goes, go as cheap as possible while you save for a deposit. No point in spending money on a bigger rented property if you do plan to buy at some point.

Make sure you bring ANY damage to the landlords/letting agents attention that is present when you move in. That way you wont be nailed for it when you move out. Double check what they say is in the property is in the property when you move in. if its unfurnished then its probably easier, but if they say it comes with 16 forks, make sure they actually have 16 forks. You should get an inventory when you move in detailing what is contained and what you will be expected to hand back.

keep a copy of your tenancy agreement handy.
Photograph the utility meters on the day you move in.
Locate your stop cock and fuse box. (nothing worse then trying to find the stopcock in a hurry)
Photograph the rooms if possible, just to refer to later if any disputes arise.

As far as the locks go, I have no idea if you can change them. I do know for a fact that the landlord cannot just walk in any time he/she pleases, they must give you notice in writing if they want to carry out an inspection. I can't see any reasonable landlord refusing a request for you to change the locks, I'd be worried right away if they point blank refused such a request.

grimsbymatt

Enthusiast
You need landlord's/agent's written permission to change the locks and you'll have to let them have a copy anyway. They are required to give you 24 hours notice in writing to come round - in reality, a phone call is usually fine, unless you insist.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Thanks for the info Manta, n yes there are quite a few "new build" 3/4 bed semi's/detached for around the 600 mark. Not sure if its worth paying a hundred extra for a bigger house and better parking as we have two cars.

You need landlord's/agent's written permission to change the locks and you'll have to let them have a copy anyway. They are required to give you 24 hours notice in writing to come round - in reality, a phone call is usually fine, unless you insist.

hi mate, thanks for the reply.

I read that you do not have to gain permission and you do not have to give them a copy either. Im sure this may annoy them. Although, they would only know if they attempted to gain entry into the property when no one was home. Which they shouldn't be doing.

A quick google came up with this.

"My Tenant Has Changed The Door Locks, Can He Do that?
Just a quick answer to an ever increasingly asked question: can tenants legally change the door locks? In short, yes.The tenant does not have to give the landlord a key, but s/he must continue to allow the landlord reasonable access to carry out repairs. In the event that the tenant does unreasonably withhold access, the landlord can apply to the county court for an injunction.
If the tenant does change the locks they should preserve the fixtures and fittings. Any damages caused by the tenant maybe recoverable from the security deposit. "

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
As the resident PCS Forum authority on house renting

Ah who am I kidding, I'm Chief Sponger of the Freeloading Tribe :D

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I think if you just get on with the landlord it will be fine. They will probably want references for you, so in return ask if you can get references for them. If you get on with a landlord it will be much easier than if you come across as a pushy tenant.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I think if you just get on with the landlord it will be fine. They will probably want references for you, so in return ask if you can get references for them. If you get on with a landlord it will be much easier than if you come across as a pushy tenant.

oh yeah ofc, i do plan on getting on with the landlord. However, i would worry about who else could potentially have a key to the property.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
The landlord has to be able to themselves in, in the case of an emergency, for instance if you were on holiday and there was a big leak or sundry other building damages. So if you do change the locks you will need to give them a key for the lock. The landlord is the owner of the property.

I'm going to have to have a detailed look into this key business. It seems there is alot of conflicting advice on the net. Be it peoples opinions on forums or websites.

thanks for the reply btw.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I'm going to have to have a detailed look into this key business. It seems there is alot of conflicting advice on the net. Be it peoples opinions on forums or websites.

thanks for the reply btw.

I wouldn't be overly concerned, I'm sure if you offered to change the locks and give the landlord a key they would see that as reasonable. A key term in legal contracts is blah blah blah "acting reasonably" So it would be hard for a landlord to refuse such a request if you explained you were concerned that a previous tenant may have kept a key or copy of one, presuming your tenancy agreement is along the lines they usually are. Just be careful following advice of people on the inter... oh yeah, I wont go any further. people in glass houses and all that :p

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster
I live in rented accommodation. To be honest, the lock thing bothers me, but I never thought changing the locks on a house that wasn't mine, was an option...
We've been having trouble for ages with our back door, finally the landlord is doing something about it. The other day I was sitting on the couch. And I hear people in the conservatory, the bloody men they'd sent to measure for the new back door just walked in. Bloody cheek! Didn't knock or anything! Imagine if I wasn't in, we didn't know they were coming, they could've taken anything.

And another question, where are you that 600 gets you a FOUR bed semi?! This 2 bed bungalow I'm in is 625, and that's cheap!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I live in rented accommodation. To be honest, the lock thing bothers me, but I never thought changing the locks on a house that wasn't mine, was an option...
We've been having trouble for ages with our back door, finally the landlord is doing something about it. The other day I was sitting on the couch. And I hear people in the conservatory, the bloody men they'd sent to measure for the new back door just walked in. Bloody cheek! Didn't knock or anything! Imagine if I wasn't in, we didn't know they were coming, they could've taken anything.

From what I have read, the tenant has exclusive rights to that property and in effectively owns the property throughout the duration of the tenancy. I'd certainly changed the locks if i were you and the landlord has been allowing workmen in without your prior permission. I believe you don't have to give the key to the landlord either.

lol, in the north east there are quite a few 3/4 bed semis that go for 600/650 . Where do you live?

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
lol, in the north east there are quite a few 3/4 bed semis that go for 600/650 . Where do you live?

It's ridiculous how much cheaper stuff is up there... im in Kingston renting out what can only be described as rundown garden shed, and I thought I got a bargain for little over a grand a month... Damn you deadeye ;(

adator

Enthusiast
You'd be looking at about 1200 for a 1 bedroom flat where I live, prices are ridiculous where I live. No idea how i'll ever be able to afford a house here (Channel Islands Guernsey) As for changing your locks I have no idea haha

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Would be pretty lucky to get a tin can at 600 round my area, although it is a lot cheaper around my uni in comparison

tom_gr7

Life Serving
thanks for the replies chaps. I thought 600pm was alot for rent, obviously not. It just highlights the massive housing problem we have now.

We went to have a view a few today. I say view, I mean we had a drive around to actually look at the houses and check out the ares. Went to what looked like a lovely 3 bed detached for 575 pm. , lol we got there and there were kids and teenagers all over the place and the area was a right dive! Me n the missus looked at each other and said "next house?" I'd link the house, but i dont think it's very fair considering I'm mocking the area.

We have decided we are going to go for a small 3 bed terrace, which is only 470pm and is in a small rural village. Looks like it's all been done up, brand new roof on it, small kitchen extension, new double glazing, looks alright. Plus I can't really complain at that price! One thing I did notice was the old "reduced" for sale sign out the front. I'm guessing the owners have had it on the market, aint had any luck and have had to turn to the rental market to pay the mortgage. That being said, we will have to request that they take it off the market, at least for the duration of our tenancy. Neither of us would be impressed if estate agents tried to show potential buyers around whilst we are living in it, or even when we are out at work.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
That being said, we will have to request that they take it off the market, at least for the duration of our tenancy. Neither of us would be impressed if estate agents tried to show potential buyers around whilst we are living in it, or even when we are out at work.

It could be someone has don't it up and went over budget and tried to get a bit more than market rate for it, possible due to an overspend on something they didn't see coming (like a new roof) and then just caved in and rented it out to cover the mortgage and let the price rise for a few years before selling. All depends on how many buyers the area has, some areas are just rental areas because people rely on housing benefit etc.

However the landlord is free to market the property for sale while you are tenants, nothing you can do about it. Though whoever bought it would have to honour your tenancy agreement, thus putting off anyone looking for a residential property. So you wont have Bob and Jane coming round to view your home, you might get some 'investors' looking at the outside of it aiming to take on the property as an investment.

Androcles

Rising Star
Useful advice in a moment, but first... 3-4bed semi for £600 - sign me up for 2! Round here you get a hovel dug into the side of a hill for that. That's 1 bedroom flat territory round my way.... Anyway that's my problem :(

Snap, I pay more than that for a room in a shared house :(

Androcles

Rising Star
I wouldn't be overly concerned, I'm sure if you offered to change the locks and give the landlord a key they would see that as reasonable. A key term in legal contracts is blah blah blah "acting reasonably" So it would be hard for a landlord to refuse such a request if you explained you were concerned that a previous tenant may have kept a key or copy of one, presuming your tenancy agreement is along the lines they usually are. Just be careful following advice of people on the inter... oh yeah, I wont go any further. people in glass houses and all that :p

If he's worried about previous tenants having copies of the keys and is happy for the landlord to have a copy then he shouldn't really be that worried at all, most landloirds will automatically change the locks on a property after it is vacated for exactly the same reasons.