Repasting Recoil IV

Paddy Baxter

Bronze Level Poster
So after sending PCS a HW Monitor screenshot of my GPU entering a thermal throttling cycle after 10 minutes of playing Resident Evil 3, they finally agreed with me that this was not normal behaviour for this chassis at all. A previous phone call with PCS put me through to someone that told me that this throttling was perfectly normal. What?!

I’ve since worked around the issue with an aggressive bit of undervolting that saw my GPU sitting between 76-84 while gaming, but I was still concerned that there might be a fault with the paste job.
They’re sending me some paste and instructions on doing it myself. They’ll probably send the Arctic stuff or whatever it’s called but I do have stuff called thermal grizzly kryonaut that I applied to my desktop cpu 6 months ago. Would this be any better than the arctic?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So after sending PCS a HW Monitor screenshot of my GPU entering a thermal throttling cycle after 10 minutes of playing Resident Evil 3, they finally agreed with me that this was not normal behaviour for this chassis at all. A previous phone call with PCS put me through to someone that told me that this throttling was perfectly normal. What?!

I’ve since worked around the issue with an aggressive bit of undervolting that saw my GPU sitting between 76-84 while gaming, but I was still concerned that there might be a fault with the paste job.
They’re sending me some paste and instructions on doing it myself. They’ll probably send the Arctic stuff or whatever it’s called but I do have stuff called thermal grizzly kryonaut that I applied to my desktop cpu 6 months ago. Would this be any better than the arctic?
Are you sure you mean GPU and not CPU?

Thermal grizzly would be preferable to arctic

Paddy Baxter

Bronze Level Poster
That's ridonculous, definitely needs a repaste! Also check that the heatsink is properly seated, sometimes they're not fitted properly.
Repasted it yesterday evening. Definitely takes a bit longer to hit the 87 degree limit but still getting there after 15 mins or so then tanks and stutters FPS in game. Started an RMA reluctantly for the first time in all 3 systems I got from PCS. Nothing bad to say about PCS, they’ve been really accommodating despite the ongoing exceptional circumstances. If they even do tests and just tell me this is a limitation of the chassis, I’d be content. I’m just worried that there may be a fault in my unit specifically.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Repasted it yesterday evening. Definitely takes a bit longer to hit the 87 degree limit but still getting there after 15 mins or so then tanks and stutters FPS in game. Started an RMA reluctantly for the first time in all 3 systems I got from PCS. Nothing bad to say about PCS, they’ve been really accommodating despite the ongoing exceptional circumstances. If they even do tests and just tell me this is a limitation of the chassis, I’d be content. I’m just worried that there may be a fault in my unit specifically.
Yeah, think RMA is required then, it shouldn’t be doing that.