Replace a hard drive in a 17.3" COSMOS VII

zapdos

Easy job? Hard?

I've just taken delivery of this COSMOS VII and am instantly regretting speccing it with a spinning HDD. I almost didn't get a second drive at all, but thought it might be useful to back up the nvme on to, or as media storage. But it's so loud and annoying.

I've configured my linux install to keep the HDD powered off as I'm not using it right now, but how hard (or otherwise) is it to replace the HDD in this laptop? Is it directly under the bottom cover, or does the mobo need to come out?

How are PCS in regards of honoring their warranty on for example the screen or keyboard, if the laptop has been opened [but if the mobo needs to come out, I likely won't bother].

If I was to replace the HDD with a SATA SSD, is there a particular physical dimension I need to stick to?

Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Easy job? Hard?

I've just taken delivery of this COSMOS VII and am instantly regretting speccing it with a spinning HDD. I almost didn't get a second drive at all, but thought it might be useful to back up the nvme on to, or as media storage. But it's so loud and annoying.

I've configured my linux install to keep the HDD powered off as I'm not using it right now, but how hard (or otherwise) is it to replace the HDD in this laptop? Is it directly under the bottom cover, or does the mobo need to come out?

How are PCS in regards of honoring their warranty on for example the screen or keyboard, if the laptop has been opened [but if the mobo needs to come out, I likely won't bother].

If I was to replace the HDD with a SATA SSD, is there a particular physical dimension I need to stick to?

Thanks
It's usually very straightforward, if you email PCS they should be able to send you a user manual if you didn't receive one in the welcome pack.
You could swap it out for any 2.5" SSD at all, personally I'd highly recommend the Crucial MX500 for excellent price and reliablity as a data drive

Just over £100, it's one of the best value drives I'd say without sacrificing reliability.

PCS have an open chassis policy so you can make whatever changes you like and the warranty will still be in place unless you break something whilst working on it.

zapdos

Brilliant thanks. I think I'll get a 1TB sata SSD instead. Should have realised the spinner would be a noisy irritation.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Just to add to the above, they are pretty explicit about the open chassis policy:

7.7Unlike with most computer companies, we allow you to open your case and install your own components without voiding your warranty on the following conditions:

• If the actions of the person installing the components cause damage to the computer, your warranty will be void;
  • If you install components that are not purchased from us and they cause problems with your computer, your warranty will be void;
  • If you install components that are not purchased from us we will in no way support you in installing them or with any problems you have relating to the components you have installed.
  • We will support you in installing components purchased from us providing you have purchased them through the upgrade service available on your online account.
7.8The company reserves the right to suspend the warranty or refuse service if your Case, Motherboard, CPU or BIOS have been replaced without authorisation.
Any tampering, repair or modification by unauthorised personnel voids the warranty.

People opening up their PC, repasting their laptop, etc, is something they're pretty zen about.

zapdos

Oh well. Noisy spinner replaced with super quiet SSD of same capacity. That was almost ridiculously easy, APART from, PCS seem to have installed hard rubber bumpers behind the HDD, and the new SSD was about 0.01mm longer - actually I think the difference was in the depth of the mating of the SATA connector. I had to - err - carefully trim a thin slice of that rubber to get the SSD to fit and lock down in the bracket. This was made especially "fun" by the very thin ribbon for the HDMI/USB left hand ports running right next to where I was slicing.

I don't know if that's a common issue with HDD vs. SSD replacement in these chassis , but still, thought it worth mentioning.

The rubber was so dense I considered it impossible to try and compact it down buy shoving the SSD against the sata connector on the motherboard. Too much risk of 'crunch'.

Anyway, job done and I'm not going back in there again. :)

(pre post edit: just check the left hand ports - they still work)

(post post edit: this thing is super quiet - I love it)