Replacement cooler

Diem

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

Alerted by some beeping on set-up and an error message, my CPU cooler fan appears to have died (technical diagnosis - it's not spinning round any more :p)

Since my system is eleven years old I know this is actually the sign to buy a new one, but since I'll spend ages agonising over the new build I need to get something to tide me over...

Just looking for a sanity check that I'm understanding things right. My current set-up is per the below, so I think this means I need an LGA 1700 compatible cooler? Anything else I need to think about? My main maintenance knowledge only extends to plugging in RAM or new GPU cards.

Overclocked CPU Overclocked Intel® Core™i5-3570k Quad Core (3.40GHz @ max 4.40GHz)
Motherboard ASUS® P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER

Thanks

Diem

Bronze Level Poster
Yes, it's a PCS machine.

Case
COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 BLUE CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i5-3570k Quad Core (3.40GHz @ max 4.40GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, VGA - (Special Offer)
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Power Supply
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Processor Cooling
Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
4G Module
NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My current set-up is per the below, so I think this means I need an LGA 1700 compatible cooler?
Ooo, no no no, it's about 10 years before 1700! LGA1700 is the latest Intel socket.

It's an FCLGA1155, so just search for LGA1155 compatibility.

Before replacing it though, I would check the fan header is properly seated and hasn't come adrift. If the fan isn't connected the PC won't boot. Also check it in another port and if it's using any kind of splitter, take that out of the chain for testing. It would be very unusual for an air cooler fan to fail.

You could also simply replace the fan rather than the whole cooler if it's modular if it does turn out to be the fan that's failed. Just a standard 120mm PWM fan should be fine.

If you do need to replace the whole cooler, you'd need to clean off the current paste and reapply a new lot.

Last edited:

Diem

Bronze Level Poster
Ooo, no no no, it's about 10 years before 1700! LGA1700 is the latest Intel socket.

It's an FCLGA1155, so just search for LGA1155 compatibility.

See, I knew I shouldn't try to go it alone 🤣

Thanks for the feedback, will open it up and check the connections as suggested.

I just put it down to age, it just started beeping during POST.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
See, I knew I shouldn't try to go it alone 🤣

Thanks for the feedback, will open it up and check the connections as suggested.

I just put it down to age, it just started beeping during POST.
It is definitely at the end of its lifetime, just goes to show how revolutionary those early Core CPUs were when Intel were actually doing a decent job and innovating.