Request for specification

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
@Tron1982 you must be hitting 60% a lot, and you don't find that loud? My laptop is currently 60° just idling with chrome and cc3 on
Wait, what ? Oo
Well, i have to firefox windows and to many tabs for counting them (and cc3 and the fan speed setting) and i'm at 52/49° for the cpu and 45/44° for my gpu
And i have an i7 ^^"

edit : the gpu fan really help to manage the heat i think
but it's may be because of the heatpipe configuration inside the laptop

Wazza

Bronze Level Poster
ah, you have an i7? Must be the difference between an i7 and the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4, @FerrariVie also has an AMD and experiences his laptop getting loud.

I'm unsure I would recommend AMD based on my current experience as whatever gains I may be getting vs an intel will likely be taken up by my self throttling so it doesn't sound like I'm drying my hair at midnight.

barlew

Godlike
Yes mate they are spot on. I usually select "Blend all" but it doesn't really matter.
Have HWMonitor open at the same time so that you can see the CPU usage and temperature. Just before you start the test in HWMonitor click View > Clear Min/Max.

Run the stress test for about 15 minutes and then take a screen shot of the HWMonitor and post it here.

Also make sure there are no errors reported by Prime95.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
ah, you have an i7? Must be the difference between an i7 and the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4, @FerrariVie also has an AMD and experiences his laptop getting loud.

I'm unsure I would recommend AMD based on my current experience as whatever gains I may be getting vs an intel will likely be taken up by my self throttling so it doesn't sound like I'm drying my hair at midnight.
Hey,
So, I think that the cpu should not be the problem, the i7-11700k run hotter than the 5600
But you have to know that i have the 17" recoil, and not the 15 destian (my sister has the destian, the same as your).

So, what may cause the difference is the chassis, how the fan are designed inside it, what kind of heatpipe are inside and how the thermal past was applied.

What also can "play" a role too is if you did a clean install of windows or not because i know this can have an impact

FerrariVie

Super Star
Thanks @FerrariVie . What do you use to have so many points in your CPU/Fan curve? CC 3 that's installed only has 2 movable points. I was playing X4 last night and the CPU was getting to 88° :/
How many FPS were you getting on average? As I said in a previous post here, limiting maximum FPS is the easiest way to reduce fan noise if you're being bothered by it.

You need to understand that you have a 6-core 45W CPU that could boost all the way to 4.6Ghz, plus a 3070 GPU that is probably around 135-140W inside a laptop, so the only way to cool that down is by using high-RPM fans (or even thicker chassis with bigger-sized fans, like the Recoil 17"). The Nova/Destian chassis supports up to a Ryzen 9 with 12 cores, so it is able to cool everything you throw at it, but with higher levels of noise for powerful builds.

By comparison, I have a 4-core 45W CPU that only goes to 3.9Ghz and a 2070 GPU with 115W, so I can make the fans very quiet and still cool the system down, but was only happy enough with noise levels by using third-party tools for fan and power management. I had to remove Control Center, or else it overwrites configs from any other software (for fans and CPU) after a few minutes. So now I control the laptop using:
  • Fans = Obsidian PCs Fan Control. It is a paid app (€30), but it's amazing how many options it gives you to control the fans and that's how I can have 8 steps for ramping up/down CPU and GPU fans, independently. It works very well on all Clevo chassis, as it was designed specifically for them. The only problem about it is that in 1 and a half years that I have been using the tool, it has only been updated once, so I think it is not a priority for the developer anymore. However, it works fine with no bugs and has all that I need, so I'm ok with having no updates.
  • CPU = It's a mix between Ryzen Master and Zen states (both free tools). I first use Ryzen Master to test different manual clocks and undervolt configurations, but Ryzen Master doesn't start automatically on boot. So after I have written down the different "profiles" (clock + voltage configs) using Ryzen Master, I can set up a default one that is going to be applied on boot using Zen States.
  • Keyboard LED = Obsidian PCs Keyboard LED. This one is actually free to use and it is required when you're using Obsidian's Fan Control, as removing Clevo's Control Center also removes your possibility of changing keyboard LED colours and brightness. The only drawback is that the keyboard shortcuts for LED brightness and colour stop working, but you can always go into the tool and change it there.
So my default Zen States config is similar to a "quiet mode", but I decided to limit the CPU to 3.7Ghz (instead of the stock 3.9Ghz boost with lower power) and undervolt it. When needing to game, I need to go into either Zen States or Ryzen Master to change to a higher CPU clock (I use 4Ghz all cores, so slightly OCed, but still undervolted). That process of going into either of the tools and changing clocks and voltages is very similar to changing a profile in control center, the difference being the time it takes you to test stability and come up with the best combination for each usage (daily usage / gaming with low noise / gaming with high noise).

In the future (when prices get back to normal) I plan to upgrade to an R7 3700X, so that will require me to do all the work again to create new combinations of clock x voltage and fan RPMs, as each CPU has their own behaviour. But it is actually a work I enjoy doing :)

Last edited:

Wazza

Bronze Level Poster
@barlew I ran the prima95 for 15 minutes
CPUID - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jr0DOykAVxYA7D5VGWgoxI-NO7m8pRot/view?usp=sharing (screenshot just after finishing it)
Little graph of temperature - https://drive.google.com/file/d/14NJsVyDkKT40rbuO0NP7MXA6F0LCNkuc/view?usp=sharing.

One thing to note I also just got this massive coolermaster pad, which may have helped.

From what I can see is that cooling doesn't seem to be an issue, rather just the noise of the fan as it works normally. Looks like I'll have to take a look at the fans software that @FerrariVie has recommended.

barlew

Godlike
@barlew I ran the prima95 for 15 minutes
CPUID - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jr0DOykAVxYA7D5VGWgoxI-NO7m8pRot/view?usp=sharing (screenshot just after finishing it)
Little graph of temperature - https://drive.google.com/file/d/14NJsVyDkKT40rbuO0NP7MXA6F0LCNkuc/view?usp=sharing.

One thing to note I also just got this massive coolermaster pad, which may have helped.

From what I can see is that cooling doesn't seem to be an issue, rather just the noise of the fan as it works normally. Looks like I'll have to take a look at the fans software that @FerrariVie has recommended.
Yeh your temps look fine mate. Just sounds like you have crazy noisy fans.