Resolution discussion

Gavras

Master Poster
1080p really isn't a resolution anymore aside for 240hz or 360hz for competitive gameplay.

There are no longer any current Gen GPU's that support it, it's a dead resolutiion, and a really poor experience once you've seen 1440p or 4k.
apologies if miss read your post but...

Sorry, totally don’t agree with that.

the largest number of gamers use 1080p.

from what you are saying, this time next year there will be NO manufacturers releasing 24” 1080p monitors.

yes there is a shift to higher frequencies (Mix of marketing and tech improvements).

That the new Nvidia RTX 3050 is aimed solely at 1440p monitors?

the vast number of gamers buy graphics cards at 3060 and cheaper.

yes 1440p is better and 4K (can be).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
apologies if miss read your post but...

Sorry, totally don’t agree with that.

the largest number of gamers use 1080p.

from what you are saying, this time next year there will be NO manufacturers releasing 24” 1080p monitors.

yes there is a shift to higher frequencies (Mix of marketing and tech improvements).

That the new Nvidia RTX 3050 is aimed solely at 1440p monitors?

the vast number of gamers buy graphics cards at 3060 and cheaper.

yes 1440p is better and 4K (can be).
All I'm saying is there are no GPU's that support 1080p 144Hz. They're all overpowered into 1440p or 1080p 240hz at the absolute minimum.

Do you still find 720p monitors? Remember 1080p is decades old now, over the next couple of years yes, I wholeheartedly believe manufacturers will stop producing them.

Gavras

Master Poster
All I'm saying is there are no GPU's that support 1080p 144Hz. They're all overpowered into 1440p or 1080p 240hz at the absolute minimum.

Do you still find 720p monitors? Remember 1080p is decades old now, over the next couple of years yes, I wholeheartedly believe manufacturers will stop producing them.
Totally don’t agree.

below 1080p they died out as not full HD.

game play on a 24” 144z 1080p is smoother than 60hz at 4K unless you spend a serious bit of cash on a card.

a huge number of gamers view paying over £400 for a card either too much cash or pointless due to desk space, cost of screen etc.

for every 3080 buyer on here, there are probably 100 lower end card buyers. (Likely an exaggerated lol).

There are new 1080p screens due out in next 12 months.

remember 1080p is a huge factor for commercial sales, until they switch to 4K, then screen manufacturers will keep making them.

until cards in the £200 sector can handle 1440p at 144hz, then there will be 1080p.

or does everyone in that big global band just stop?

£200 on a card and £120 on a monitor is reality of pc gaming and will be for a while.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
game play on a 24” 144z 1080p is smoother than 60hz at 4K unless you spend a serious bit of cash on a card.
That makes no sense at all, they're 2 entirely different GPU's. It would be more relevant to say 1080p 144hz is smoother than 1440p 60Hz, but that's the point, current GPU's don't cater below 1440p 144hz. The 3060 will be about as powerful as the 2070 Super in my estimation based on the current releases.

The reason so many gamers are still on 1080p is because they have no idea about resolution. We get an enormous amount of newcomers on the site here pairing a 3080 with a 1080p 60Hz monitor, they don't understand the significance of GPU and resolution, or what benefits higher resolutions provide.

And the budget gamers will still pay the same price for the entry level card, it's just that it's capable of higher resolution gameplay.

It's just progress, it's the way it's always happened. As soon as 8k is more mainstream which by all accounts will be on the next gen GPU's, then I have no doubt 1080p monitors will start to be phased out.

Gavras

Master Poster
I have spent about 8 years flying in and out of China, Taiwan and Korea.

a lot of it was visiting panel manufacturers, that includes tech tours of LG, Innolux etc.

sales volumes to likes of Mexico, African countries etc, are higher than UK.

yes the likes of LG and Samsung will likely stop or decrease output but the volume is still there for others.

for PC panels, the size thing is the biggest bit that moves a panel EOL.

if 24” went EOL, then yeah 1080p would be on the way out, IF panel manufacturers went 4K standard.

the reason so many gamers are on 1080p, is their current graphics card still works, their monitor still works and if graphics car does fail, then they likely won’t cough up over £400 on a card.

Modern monitors are surprisingly reliable.

what sector of gamer is the RTX 3050 aimed at?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
the reason so many gamers are on 1080p, is their current graphics card still works, their monitor still works and if graphics car does fail, then they likely won’t cough up over £400 on a card.
But that’s the whole point you seem to be missing? Why do they need to cough up £400? They just buy the entry level 3060 at £200 or whatever it will cost. The point is it’s overpowered for 1080p. Sure, you can play at that, but it’s not using the full capabilities of the card.

Manufacturers are always ahead of consumers, they dictate the markets more than any consumer. It’s all down to price vs demand, why when the entry level gpu can manage 1440p 144hz would you buy a new panel at 1080p 144hz rather than getting 1440p 144hz? Just doesn’t make sense.

The only reason 1080p is still around is because it still had support from the GTX1600 series. And perhaps the 3050ti as you mention, I hadn’t factored that one in.

As soon as 8k is more mainstream, they’ll phase out 1080p. They’ve already started to do it on TV’s.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I actually agree with both of you here. I genuinely think 1080p is on the way out. Tablets are past 1080p, mobile phones are past 1080p and anything above an entry level system will hit 1440p+.

1080p is still a HUGE section of the market though. I recall Gamers Nexus recently commenting on something to this effect regarding the Steam average resolution usage. 1080p is still significantly higher than most. However, he also stated that he couldn't understand why as any of the new Nvidia lineup will smash the 1440p requirements (3060Ti included). I think the 3060Ti is going to be closer to the 2080 to be honest, which will be an excellent 1440p card.

As the 1440p resolution becomes more popular the panels will get cheaper, can't have the cart before the horse.

I think this is going to be the year where the seesaw starts to fall to higher resolutions. The power of the GPUs is pivotal to this.

Gavras

Master Poster
From a commercial point of view, until 4K dramatically drops in price 1080p will be there.

we used 22” and 24” 4K screens in last place, price compared to 1080p was crazy.

Will there be an entry level RTX 3060 though?

the 3060 TI is expected to be between £350 and £400.

can that entry level card manage ultra settings on a 1440p at 144hz?

can that entry level card manage ultra 1080p at 144hz?

for a product to to be viable it needs to be accessible at all levels.

yes at some point 1080p will be replaced by 4K screens, I agree with that, however not for a few years yet.

when your average gamer can play on ultra at on a 1440p.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Don't want to go down the whole ultra debate again.... but...

IMO 1440p medium/high is going to be FAR better than 1080p on UltraUltraUltra mode... visually. I would get far more out of a nicer resolution with increased depth etc than I ever would light bloom through the grass.

The 3060Ti should be capable of smashing 1440p at sensible settings (as said, comparable with the 2080 which was a 4k starter card).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And 4k 144hz is already dropping astronomically. At the end of last year, there were basically 3 options around £2000

Now there are quite a few with entry level of £800.

Give it another year now that 4k 144hz is actually doable and they’ll be down to around £500 I reckon.

Gavras

Master Poster
Don't want to go down the whole ultra debate again.... but...

IMO 1440p medium/high is going to be FAR better than 1080p on UltraUltraUltra mode... visually. I would get far more out of a nicer resolution with increased depth etc than I ever would light bloom through the grass.

The 3060Ti should be capable of smashing 1440p at sensible settings (as said, comparable with the 2080 which was a 4k starter card).
Oh don’t worry not opening that can of worms again lol (Ultra and AAA game conversations make me cringe).

Also I am getting a 3060Ti (or potentially AMD...) and a decent 1440 panel.

However, when buying something nearly everyone expects to get maximum (turn it to 11).

my point is that, at this moment in time, there is no reason if buying a cheap gaming rig, not to get 1080p.

different matter if getting a 3070 or similar.

as to why people have not made the change...

well if the 3060 comes out before I move house, it’s going to be strangled on a 24” 1080p monitor lol.

Then when I move a good 1440p and the perfectly good 24” 144hz 1080p binned to recycling.

I think a lot of owners will resist that last bit, as why replace something that is working fine and giving a good game feeling.

the cost of card and monitor (in my case) on top of PC price, will for some just be too much cash to spend.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh don’t worry not opening that can of worms again lol (Ultra and AAA game conversations make me cringe).

Also I am getting a 3060Ti (or potentially AMD...) and a decent 1440 panel.

However, when buying something nearly everyone expects to get maximum (turn it to 11).

my point is that, at this moment in time, there is no reason if buying a cheap gaming rig, not to get 1080p.

different matter if getting a 3070 or similar.

as to why people have not made the change...

well if the 3060 comes out before I move house, it’s going to be strangled on a 24” 1080p monitor lol.

Then when I move a good 1440p and the perfectly good 24” 144hz 1080p binned to recycling.

I think a lot of owners will resist that last bit, as why replace something that is working fine and giving a good game feeling.

the cost of card and monitor (in my case) on top of PC price, will for some just be too much cash to spend.
I don't doubt that some users will keep hold of 1080p panels far longer than they should, and I have no doubt that a very large majority of current 1080p monitor owners have a GPU that is bottlenecked due to the screen as there is a very limited understanding of resolution in relation to GPU tier.

I do think however, that manufacturers will stop producing them gradually over the next 5 years or so. And I fully expect 8K monitors (of which there is just one currently), to be mainstream certainly at 60Hz by the next GPU cycle. Entry level GPU's will cater for 1440p and top tier will be 8k with 4k becoming more mainstream.

leebee2110

Bronze Level Poster
Out of interest gents, which new GPU from both AMD & Nvidia fits in well with a 120hz UW 1440p monitor? I find the UW monitors harder to correlate. It's the Acer X34P.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Completely budget related IMO. You could literally get away with most and justify them in different ways.

The 3060Ti would manage over 60FPS, so would be considered the starting point.
The 3070 should smash just about every game at 100fps+ so would be a nice middle ground
The 3080 would probably max it out in every scenario so could actually be considered overkill.

Big variation in the cash aspect though so it would be purely down to budget.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Wasn't sure where to post this, but basic confirmation on the madness of "ultra settings" being a measure of a cards performance:

They are a bit mad, but it helps if you know that your new GPU can deliver 100+ @ ultra/max then why not use it. Some people are happy to run in medium/low, but we don't expect to base our buying decision on those setting either - so benchmarks (using the same basis) is the only way a new buyer has any chance of understanding their potential purchases.

I want to play the new Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, Death Stranding at 100+ FPS @ 1440p - so want to dial everything up as high as I can to get there. If it's 140fps or 120fps, I don't really care. But I'll assume that if the benchmarks are showing 120fps on Ultra/Mac at 1440p, then I'll have no problem at High/Very High either - even if I've got some browser/MS Office windows open in the background.

It's the same with car reviews...most people don't care (other than for bragging rights) that their car can do 0-60mph in 2.9 seconds vs their mate's car that does it in 3.2 seconds...as it does't give you the whole picture until you realise one is a £200k 2-seater and the other is a 2-tonne family estate car.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
They are a bit mad, but it helps if you know that your new GPU can deliver 100+ @ ultra/max then why not use it. Some people are happy to run in medium/low, but we don't expect to base our buying decision on those setting either - so benchmarks (using the same basis) is the only way a new buyer has any chance of understanding their potential purchases.

I want to play the new Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, Death Stranding at 100+ FPS @ 1440p - so want to dial everything up as high as I can to get there. If it's 140fps or 120fps, I don't really care. But I'll assume that if the benchmarks are showing 120fps on Ultra/Mac at 1440p, then I'll have no problem at High/Very High either - even if I've got some browser/MS Office windows open in the background.

It's the same with car reviews...most people don't care (other than for bragging rights) that their car can do 0-60mph in 2.9 seconds vs their mate's car that does it in 3.2 seconds...as it does't give you the whole picture until you realise one is a £200k 2-seater and the other is a 2-tonne family estate car.
You had to be there.... it's a location joke.