[RESOLVED] Can't get 'Intel WiFi 6 AX200 Wireless Adapter' to work in Debian 11.

RayEcc

Bronze Level Poster
Hi.

It's got 2 antennas at the back of my Desktop PC. I install the firmware-iwlwifi package. My home wifi network is detected. I try to connect but the system tray icon shows the adapter never fully connects and times out.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Last edited:

RayEcc

Bronze Level Poster
Thankfully, I have an old USB WiFi Dongle that works out of the box in GNU/Linux. Still, I'd like to get the Intel WiFi working too - even just as a backup - or have the dongle as a backup.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi.

It's got 2 antennas at the back of my PC. I install the firmware-iwlwifi package. My home wifi network is detected. I try to connect but the system tray icon shows the adapter never fully connects and times out.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Just a note, very few of us are Linux compatible, there is one guy @Stephen M who is superb, but he hasn't been on much recently, hopefully he'll pop on in not too long.

RayEcc

Bronze Level Poster
Just a note, very few of us are Linux compatible, there is one guy @Stephen M who is superb, but he hasn't been on much recently, hopefully he'll pop on in not too long.
Thanks for the heads up, ST. I see Stephen is gone almost 2 months. Yes, hopefully he returns again. 🙏

The funny thing is, generally Intel stuff works well with GNU/Linux as the firmware tends to be baked into the Linux kernel. 💭

The fact that it detects wireless networks means at least it's half way to working properly.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the heads up, ST. I see Stephen is gone almost 2 months. Yes, hopefully he returns again. 🙏

The funny thing is, generally Intel stuff works well with GNU/Linux as the firmware tends to be baked into the Linux kernel. 💭
Not sure if this may be related?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I disabled fast startup. The Intel wifi is still not working. 🤔
It was unlikely due to the differing problems that the other person had but it was definitely worth a shot as it does cause problems.

I'm not really sure what else to suggest. There's no reason in my head that it shouldn't work. As above though, none of us are really Linux users, I know next to nothing personally. Hopefully @Stephen M will be able to share some insights.

If you manage to sort it though if you could post back for others that would be really appreciated.

RayEcc

Bronze Level Poster
Intel Wireless is will not work out of the box with older kernels. When i installed Debian on my Clevo X170KM-G it worked only because i was using a kernel version of 5.13 or greater.

So maybe try updating the Kernel: https://www.itsfoss.net/installing-linux-5-14-kernel-on-debian-11/

For now don't go above kernel 5.14 as kernel 5.15 and 5.16 still have work needed to be done on them.
Hi solidus1983.

The 3 kernels I have installed are:
  • linux-image-5.10.0-9-amd64
  • linux-image-5.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
  • linux-image-5.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (current)
5.13 is not available in the Synaptic Package Manager. I'll give 5.14 a try.

RayEcc

Bronze Level Poster
If your still having issues see if the card shows up in lspci.
I tried kernel 5.14. As before, the Intel AX200 picks up the wifi, tries to connect, then fails.

I ran lspci and noticed this line: Network controller: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (rev 1a).

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
So ok its detected and some what working what does running

Code:
sudo dmesg

Output just incase its firmware of the wireless chip missing if you want to upload it for me to look at then use

Code:
sudo dmesg > output.txt && cat ~/output.txt | nc termbin.com 9999

then send me the link to the file.

If you see firmware related errors then head to https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi to download the firmware and place it in
Code:
/lib/firmware
then reboot the server, only download the ones you need.

Last edited:

RayEcc

Bronze Level Poster
So ok its detected and some what working what does running

Code:
sudo dmesg

Output just incase its firmware of the wireless chip missing if you want to upload it for me to look at then use

Code:
sudo dmesg > output.txt && cat ~/output.txt | nc termbin.com 9999

then send me the link to the file.

If you see firmware related errors then head to https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi to download the firmware and place it in
Code:
/lib/firmware
then reboot the server, only download the ones you need.
Hi solidus1983.

Does the output contain sensitive info? I can see MAC addresses in there.

I copied the firmware to /lib/firmware -- no joy. :-(

RayEcc

Bronze Level Poster
On a laptop with seemingly the same WiFi, I was able to get it working during install via the Debian firmware-11.2.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso. I just tried that same ISO to install a fresh Debian on my Desktop PC - it saw the WiFi, I entered the WiFi code, then there was some message about not being able to exchange keys. 😖