Review for the Optimus PRO XI

KeepingItRetro

I've had this Laptop for 3 days now. It's superb! What a beast. It's crunching numbers and Multi Tasking hooking up to 3 Monitors is a breeze.

The RTX 2060 is playing everything I throw at it at high/ultra settings.

Where this Laptop really shines is the CPU. The Ryzen 7 4800H is a beast. I've read on several reviews that the 4800H in the TongFang chassis are Unlocked to their full potential. Here is a Cinebench R20 Benchmark. It's ideal for Rendering and VM's and everything in-between.

Capture.PNG

The only slight issue I have is the Audio is Poor. Zero Bass and quite 'Tinny'. Not sure if it's a driver issue but if anyone else has this variant and has good sound can you get in touch with any ideas. Using headphones it's great.

So the Plus bits:

Superb Screen. Vibrant and great colours.

Keyboard and Trackpad are solid.

Fan Noise is quiet for general use. Not too loud under load which is also great.

Thermals under load is also decent. Haven't seen it go above mid 70's even during benchmarking/stress tests.

RTX 2060 is the Refresh so for High-Ultra at 1080P should be no issues with decent frame-rates.

Multi Tasking and High CPU dependent Software are no match for the Ryzen 7 4800H.

The Laptop is built well. To my surprise, I can't believe how light it is!

Overall 9.5/10

Specs and Photos below. Happy to answer any questions!

Specs:

Chassis & DisplayOptimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen™ 7 Eight Core Processor 4800H (2.9GHz, 4.2GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 2300MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (Full Size SD / SDHC / SDXC)
AC Adaptor1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
BatteryOptimus Series Integrated 46WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard LanguageOPTIMUS SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating SystemNO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaNO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserFirefox™
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

aVG3MKV.jpg

FneBwZD.jpg

Oo8o4pu.jpg

53xALuE.jpg

rur7bsa.jpg

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the review and photos!

FWIW I don't know of many (any?) laptops that offer decent sound from the built-in speakers.

KeepingItRetro

Thanks for the review and photos!

FWIW I don't know of many (any?) laptops that offer decent sound from the built-in speakers.

I agree. However these are pretty poor even by laptop standards. It could be a driver issue. The sound is just low and there is zero bass. For example if I’m gaming and the fans go above 50% I can just about make the sound out. It’s nothing major. I use headphones 90% of the time. The laptop apart from that is probably the best thing I’ve bought in the last 5 years!

Delaxxx

Hi,

I would like to buy the exact same laptop and from what i have seen, it's a perfect laptop. I was just wondering if one battery was enough ? Due to all the big components of the laptop, a small battery like this must be quickly empty.
Also, did you get any trubbles when you install windows ? any tips to give ? ^^

KeepingItRetro

Hi,

I would like to buy the exact same laptop and from what i have seen, it's a perfect laptop. I was just wondering if one battery was enough ? Due to all the big components of the laptop, a small battery like this must be quickly empty.
Also, did you get any trubbles when you install windows ? any tips to give ? ^^

No troubles at all installing Windows. Took about 5-10 minutes. Then just grabbed all the drivers from the PCS Download section.
One battery is fine for me as I’m always going to use it on mains. Might even benefit if I remove it entirely. Up to you though if you need 2 batteries and you don’t have a Mains supply when you need it then yes getting an additional battery would be beneficial.

dan13

Hi there,

Does it have controls to turn off the lights of the keyboard?

Does it come with an in-built microphone?

Steven88

How is this laptop now you've had it a couple of months, still as good as your review suggests? I'm thinking of buying in the near future with a very similar spec. What kind of the battery life have you been getting?

KeepingItRetro

How is this laptop now you've had it a couple of months, still as good as your review suggests? I'm thinking of buying in the near future with a very similar spec. What kind of the battery life have you been getting?
Hey I get around 4 hours plus on Battery. Obviously I don't do too much intensive tasks when on Battery. However for Web browsing etc I'm getting 4-5 hours. Laptop is fantastic.