Review of the 17.3" Optimus Pro (Ryzen 4800h, RTX 2060, 16GB)

EmiD A

It's also worth noting there are two buttons above the keyboard, one for power, and the second switches between Office, Gaming and Turbo.
Thanks for the review. Would you say the different modes make an impact?
Like for instance the awful Dell G5 has some similar modes where if you play with anything that isn't the game mode, the temps shoot up and it throttles. But if you play with gaming mode the fans are unbearable and it still run hot.

cjohob

Thanks for the review. Would you say the different modes make an impact?
Like for instance the awful Dell G5 has some similar modes where if you play with anything that isn't the game mode, the temps shoot up and it throttles. But if you play with gaming mode the fans are unbearable and it still run hot.
So far I haven't tried gaming in anything other than "turbo" mode because I've been playing some pretty graphically demanding titles. I ran CS:GO in "turbo" just for lols to see what the fps would be. Given the crazy high framerates I got, I imagine other lighter titles would be fine at least in "game" mode. But my understanding is you want to be in "turbo" to unlock the full CPU/GPU power/performance.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So far I haven't tried gaming in anything other than "turbo" mode because I've been playing some pretty graphically demanding titles. I ran CS:GO in "turbo" just for lols to see what the fps would be. Given the crazy high framerates I got, I imagine other lighter titles would be fine at least in "game" mode. But my understanding is you want to be in "turbo" to unlock the full CPU/GPU power/performance.
Absolutely, for any kind of mainstream gaming, you'll need turbo mode to sustain boost clocks.

Willow78

Bronze Level Poster
my laptop arrived today I am happy with it except the networking keeps going down it shows it connected to wifi but web pages stop loading and steam stops downloading as if I had lost network access not sure if its a driver issue, but my laptop they did find an issue while testing so not sure if its related

cjohob

my laptop arrived today I am happy with it except the networking keeps going down it shows it connected to wifi but web pages stop loading and steam stops downloading as if I had lost network access not sure if its a driver issue, but my laptop they did find an issue while testing so not sure if its related
I don't think I've had any issues like that, but to be fair the internet at the place I'm living right now is so terrible I just may never have noticed...

Willow78

Bronze Level Poster
I did a search and other people had the same issues with that network adapter, while finding out the driver installed was from last year just updated to the latest driver so fingers crossed this works better.

theb52s

Silver Level Poster
This is an almost identical laptop to the one I ordered. I have also been playing Shadow of the Tombraider and your experience is pretty much identical to mine so far. Temperatures have been great. I am also experiencing a fairly short battery life but I can't see myself needing to use it while not connected to the mains for any length of time so it's not really an issue for me.