Review: Optimus Pro XI / AMD Ryzen 4800H / RTX 2060

FerrariVie

Super Star
It may be that it’s only on the premium chassis that they use doubleshot then. Mine was the octane equivalent of its day.
Here it is:
PXL_20210131_103327600.jpgPXL_20210131_103253431.jpg

I think my old Dell was doubleshot (looked a lot like your keyboard), and I could feel the difference in the keys straight away when changed to the Nova... the paint makes it a more rugged and grippy than having contact with the plastic itself, which is more soft and smooth.

The good thing about the Nova is that the keyboard can be easily switched, in case the paint wears out in the future. But I've never seen a Nova user complaining about it, so it could be that the paint quality is better on Clevo's, as @TheMash said

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
For information PCS have come back and said I have to RMA it as the keyboard is not something a user can replace easily (on my previous Defiance II, I could and have actually got two spare keyboards for that laptop but no longer have it) lol.

However I have gone back to them and asked to confirm how long this will be and to ensure they have item in stick BEFORE I send it back because this is only a cosmetic fault and Laptop is perfect otherwise and don’t want it sat there waiting on stock if I can still use it.
I would be very careful what you say to PCS, I'm no lawyer but if you refuse an RMA now I wouldn't be surprised if PCS refused to fix it in the future. If you have a faulty product you have to let the vendor try to fix it....

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I would be very careful what you say to PCS, I'm no lawyer but if you refuse an RMA now I wouldn't be surprised if PCS refused to fix it in the future. If you have a faulty product you have to let the vendor try to fix it....
Yeah, personally I'd get it sorted ASP

Bhuna50

Author Level
All I have done is asked them to confirm that the new keyboard is in stock and if not is it ok to hold on to it until they confirm that they have the stock.

TheMash

Bronze Level Poster
This was nothing to do with oils etc from fingers accelerating wear.

The fault started occurring on day 2 after hardly any use. This is a faulty keyboard not normal wear sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with you, I was talking in general about endurance of these kind of coatings and not referring to your specific case.
I have several devices with this kind of coating (called "touch", which is kind of soft rubbery) and they need special care to made them last.
Oil from skin is generally acid plus there's the mechanical wear from friction with fingers and this could affect the material.

Of course in your case it happened after just 2 days and it's symptom of a faulty manufacturing process :)

TheMash

Bronze Level Poster
I would go so far as to say on any “gaming” oriented keyboard, these days it’s fair to expect doubleshot keycaps. They’re so mainstream now, and the benefits in the long term are so enormous, that having painted keys just really isn’t sufficient, it’s cost cutting for the sake lowering quality.
Exactly, @SpyderTracks, that was what I saying.
I didn't know what the term doubleshot was referring to so I did some research.
Essentially, apart from the manufacturing process which is much better as there's no printing and the key are molded between two pieces, the material is different.
Normal keycaps are ABS, which get shiny with wear, while doubleshot keycaps are usual POM, which is polycarbonate.
Much, much more resistant to wear than ABS.
Hopefully the keyboard on my Vyper will last at least 2 years :-/