RIP Steve Jobs

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I wonder if Bob Metcalfe or Doug Engelbart will get a thread when they pass away?

While Ethernet and HCI are both very big parts of the IT industry, I dont think many people have heard of them, everyone knows who Steve Jobs is. Im not saying they are any less entitled to the respect they most deffinately deserve, but posting a thread on a forum like this about the inventor of Ethernet would be a pointless exercise, I can pay my respects on an individual basis. The reason I opened the thread originally is because I know how many people would want to pay their respects to a brilliant minded individual who a vast majority of people know.

Zeplini

put this together in my lunch, some wallpaper 1280x1040

asteve.png

MeveM

Bright Spark
PHP:
The vast majority know who he is? I didn't until I turned the TV on this morning. So, since the vast majority don't even use apple products :p Yeah... The tiny minority knows who he is.

The vast majority knows what Apple is, they won't have a clue who the CEO was.

Just wish he justified the prices of the mac laptops/mac books in his will. Can get the same hardware in a PCS laptop for half the price.

stegor

Bright Spark
Sad loss to IT management and promotion of innovative products but he wasn't an inventor. Good products if you can afford them.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Sounds more like a great marketing person. Take other peoples ideas and make them better with your own product and throw it out in the mainstream. Reminds me of Blizzard :p

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Sad loss to IT management and promotion of innovative products but he wasn't an inventor. Good products if you can afford them.

So im guessing you know him very well then? By the sounds of it you know exactly what he did. He was renound as an innovator, yes he was a fantastic speaker and extremely passionate about what he and his company produced, but this doesn't make him any less of an innovator.

Tony1951

Silver Level Poster
It has been said that Steve Jobs has been the greatest CEO ever.For industry and people interested in technology it is a sad time.
For anyone to die at the age of 56 in this day and age is a tragedy.

MeveM

Bright Spark
For anyone to die at the age of 56 in this day and age is a tragedy.

Depends how you look at it. Modern medicine is working against us as much as for us.

The longer we live during our pension, the worse the economy gets. The longer we live, the more populated the planned gets, the longer we live the more taxes are spent and not gained.

Population living longer isn't always good :p But that's for another thread/discussion.

Davidel

Bronze Level Poster
Ok, sad as it may be that someone has died so young from a horrible disease, the hysterical eulogising of Steve Jobs is out of control (not only this board).

I will give him his due, he is probably the greatest marketeer that the planet has ever known, who else could take existing products, repackage them and sell them on for 10x the previous price, we were discussing at work that he could probably take a house brick, paint is white, market it as the iBrick and people would absolutely fall over themselves to buy it. Absolute genius.

However, neither a nice person nor the inventor of anything.

Taken from: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/technology-obituaries/8810037/Steve-Jobs-obituary.html though the information is readily available elsewhere.

Highlights.

Aged 23 when his then girlfriend gave birth to his daughter. For two years, though already wealthy, he denied paternity while the baby's mother went on welfare. At one point he even swore an affidavit to the effect that he was "sterile and infertile", so could not be the father.

He habitually parked his Mercedes in the disabled parking slot at Apple headquarters.

One of his first acts on returning to the company in 1997 was to terminate all of its corporate philanthropy programmes.

While working for Atari he was given the task of creating a more compact circuit board for the game Breakout. He had little interest in the intricacies of circuit board design and persuaded his 16-year old friend, Steve Wozniak, to do the job for him, offering to split any bonus fifty-fifty. Jobs was given $5,000 by a delighted Atari, but Wozniak only got $300, under the impression the payout was $600.

He didn’t even invent the Apples 1st product - In 1976 Wozniak showed Jobs a computer he had designed for his own use. Jobs was impressed and suggested marketing it. They had no capital, but Jobs had a brilliant idea. By persuading a local store to order 50 of the computers, then asking an electrical store for 30 days credit on the parts to build them, they set up business without a single investor. They called it Apple Computers and launched their first product, the Apple 1

Add into that the maniacal domineering and controlling of his workforce and any and all information written about him and his company, yep, nice guy, clearly a ‘god amongst men’ <rolls eyes>

What else he didn’t invent: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/gadg...ople-think-apple-invented-but-actually-didn-t

Top Ten ... Things people think Apple invented (but actually didn't)

10. The Computer Mouse

A lot of people credit Apple with introducing the computer mouse to the world with launch of the original Macintosh in 1984, but the company was beaten to the punch by almost three years. Xerox, today better known for its photocopiers and printers, launched the Star in 1981. Although it looks incredibly primitive now, it was built around numerous technologies that are still commonplace today, including the computer mouse.

9. GUI

There’s no question that the Apple Macintosh was the first commercially successful computer to use a graphical user interface, but it wasn’t the first overall. Yet again, Xerox got there first with the Star, which had basic versions of the icons, folders and menus that we’re all familiar with today. Designed around the concept of WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get), it made much more sense than other machines that used command line interfaces.

8. OS X Operating System

UNIX has gone through significant changes since it first appeared, but OS X still roots itself firmly within low-level code from both UNIX and the offshoot FreeBSD project. Even some of the most well-known features of OS X aren’t Apple’s own invention, including…

7. The Dock

If you’ve ever launched a program on a Mac, chances are you’ll have used the Dock. The floating collection of icons keeps your most used applications within easy reach, but don’t make the mistake of thinking this was Apple’s idea. It made its first appearance in Apple’s operating system with OS X in 1999, but Acorn had done the same as far back as 1987. Not only was it one of the fastest home computers available at the time, but the Archimedes had one of the first docks built into its Arthur operating system, a whole twelve years before Apple.

6. The App Store

Apple hit a goldmine with the iPhone App Store, so it’s no surprise that its desktop operating system has just received a similar feature. However, based on the way it was talked about during the release of OS X Lion, you’d think Apple had invented the entire concept of a computer-based digital store. Software stores are nothing new, from the GetJar mobile library to Ubuntu’s software centre, both of which pre-date the App Store by several years.

5. Multi-touch gestures

Apple has one of the best multi-touch implementations in the business, on both portable devices and laptops, but they didn’t invent the technology. As it has done numerous times in the past, it bought out the company that did it better and repackaged its designs as Apple’s own. Fingerworks had several great products on the shelves when Apple bought it out in 2005, but they were all pulled to make way for things like the magic trackpad.

4. The Thinnest Laptop in the World

Everyone swoons over the MacBook Air. We know we’re guilty of this, as it’s one of the thinnest laptops around, but Steve Jobs wasn’t entirely justified in his claim that it was the thinnest laptop in the world when he first announced it. The Mitsubishi Pedion, released in 1998, was 18mm thick throughout, whereas the MacBook Air was 19mm thick at its widest point. Because the Air tapered to an incredibly thin 4mm, Jobs claimed it was now the thinnest. There’s been plenty of debate as to which should take the crown,

3. The Tablet

The iPad launched in 2010 and revolutionised tablets as we knew them, but you’re a long way off if you think Apple invented the form factor. The first patents related to touchscreen devices that could recognise handwriting were filed in 1942, but you can trace its origins as far back as 1888! The first true tablet was the GRiD Pad, launched in 1989. It ran MS DOS and used a stylus to input text, but the foundations for the devices we recognise as tablets today are clear to see. It took twenty one more years for Apple to launch the iPad, during which time a whole host of companies had released tablets.

2. Video calling

FaceTime – it was enough to convince countless people they needed miniscule hardware updates to their iPod Touches and iPads, but it’s difficult to see why. Apple was a long, long way behind other mobile phone manufacturers with bringing video calling to the masses; NEC and Motorola were among the first, with the E606 clamshell (remember those?) and A920 respectively. Unlike Apple, they could both send video calls over 3G, in 2003! That still didn’t stop Cupertino from trying this outrageous marketing scheme prior to the launch of the iPhone 4.

1. The MP3 player

There could really only be one winner in this list. Nothing turned Apple’s fortunes around more than the iconic iPod; the company went from standing in Microsoft’s shadow to the peak of the portable music world, but this doesn’t mean the MP3 player was a Cupertino invention. The first ever portable music player was a prototype, built in 1979 and only capable of holding three minutes of audio, but there were plenty of others to make it to market before Apple launched the first iPod in 2001. The Audio Highway Listen Up launched in 1997 in (very) limited numbers, but was quickly succeeded by the Diamond Rio in 1998. The HanGo Personal Jukebox and Creative Nomad both used laptop hard disks rather than flash memory, several years before Apple.

Awaits flames/histeria/rebutal/counter rebutal.

<Gets popcorn>

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
However, neither a nice person nor the inventor of anything.

Im not going to spend anymore time in this thread because I originally opened it to pay my respects to what I consider a great person. I obviously dont expect everyone to think he is, that would be ridiculous.

However before I leave this thread I would first like to say dont judge someones character by what the media says. For a start there are a lot more accounts of him being an extremely nice person both socially and in the workplace. Yes he may have made mistakes when he was younger but from what Ive always heard he was an extremely nice person. I obviously cant say for deffinate either way because I did not know him personally, but then neither did you.

Pete

Bright Spark
Im not going to spend anymore time in this thread because I originally opened it to pay my respects to what I consider a great person. I obviously dont expect everyone to think he is, that would be ridiculous.

However before I leave this thread I would first like to say dont judge someones character by what the media says. For a start there are a lot more accounts of him being an extremely nice person both socially and in the workplace. Yes he may have made mistakes when he was younger but from what Ive always heard he was an extremely nice person. I obviously cant say for deffinate either way because I did not know him personally, but then neither did you.

Some double standards here i think, you were quick to point Ballmer out as an "idiot" in that thread not so long ago. and you've trolled anyone in this who has a differing opinion.

This is why i posted links to that TV series at the start, a very good program that takes you from the very first personal computer, how apple and microsoft got started, interviews with gates, jobs, wozniac and their staff (and their opinions of jobs) and many others, how they shared ideas. it's all in there. Personally i think he shaped the IT industry (and yes been lucky enough to be credited for too many things) - that's coming from a PC person, i don't own any apple products but i can be mature enough not to be blinded by brand loyalty.

also waiting for a right roasting, pass the popcorn.

pr1s0ner

it might seem like a strange test of success, but if people who don't even know you are arguing about you after you die then I guess you probably did something right :)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Some double standards here i think, you were quick to point Ballmer out as an "idiot" in that thread not so long ago. and you've trolled anyone in this who has a differing opinion.

This is why i posted links to that TV series at the start, a very good program that takes you from the very first personal computer, how apple and microsoft got started, interviews with gates, jobs, wozniac and their staff (and their opinions of jobs) and many others, how they shared ideas. it's all in there. Personally i think he shaped the IT industry (and yes been lucky enough to be credited for too many things) - that's coming from a PC person, i don't own any apple products but i can be mature enough not to be blinded by brand loyalty.

also waiting for a right roasting, pass the popcorn.

You obviously completely misunderstood me. With the ballmer video I sai he was an idiot on stage, this is fact, I know who acts liek an idiot on stage as the video was of him being an idiot on stage. Pointing out that steve jobs is not a nice person is personal opinion based on media reportings, and we all know how the media likes to twist things.

I have not "trolled" anyone in this thread, however I feel I actually need to defend someone in a thread which is meant to be a positive rest in peace thread, not a slate apple fans or slate jobs thread. If people want to have a discussion abotu what apple di or didnt do or what Jobs did or didnt do then this is not the place for it. I am unwilling though to just allow people to make comments such as the one above about him being "not a nice person" since this is purely personal opinion, but they way in which it was stated was as if it was fact. If your going to make allegations like that dont do it in an RIP thread and have some decency.

I never said anything against those videos as I havent had a chance to watch them yet.

So I really dont understand why you think im in the wrong for what I said.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I suggest a mod closes this thread. I created it to say goodbye to someone I believe had a massive impact on the industry I work in, but its turned into a slag Jobs off thread instead.

PokerFace

Banned
I suggest a mod closes this thread. I created it to say goodbye to someone I believe had a massive impact on the industry I work in, but its turned into a slag Jobs off thread instead.

It was a nice thought Frenchy, but seeing the way this thread ended up, please don't start a thread in my honour when I'm gone...I don't think I could stand the abuse. :eek: