RIP Steve Jobs

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I know some of you may not have liked him, but its a sad day when anyone dies, and suffering from cancer for 6 years is no pleasent way to die. He did so much for technology over the years, after all, mac did create the first windowed operating system, iPhones were the real first smart phone and no matter what people say macs are awesome.

So Id just like to say Rest in Peace. (February 24, 1955 – October 5, 2011)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
RIP, probably the greatest man in tech and suffering from cancer is the worst thing and no one deserves it

Pete

Bright Spark
I'd encourage everyone to watch Triumph of the Nerds, if you can find it. A 3 part series about how it all got started, amazing to see how far and fast things have come thanks to the nerds like Steve.

found the later revamped versions on youtube (these have some sections cut out from the original)

Ep1
Ep2
Ep3

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Im sure many of you have seen this picture already but I think this is a really nice tribute to his work.

tumblr_lqhr46trpa1qz9917o1_500.png

I didnt really say much in my previous post because I'm not really sure there is much I can say that others don't already know. My opinion though, and one which I know many people will share is that we have lost one of the world greatest ever innovators, someone who had an immense passion for what he did and someone who I know a lot of people in the IT industry looked up to. In my eyes there are 3 individuals who stand out more than most when it comes to IT, Tim Berners-Lee (creator of the world wide web), Bill Gates (Founder of Microsoft) and Steve Jobs (Co-Founder of Apple), sadly the world has to say goodbye to one of those 3 great minds.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster

By mac I meant apple. Apple were the first to use a mouse, the first to decide to use a graphical interface which implemented windows, allowing essentially more than one thing to be on your screen at once.

As for the iPhone, it was the start of a revolution in terms of phones, the true smart phone as we know it started with the iPhone.

pr1s0ner

I really didnt want to get off topic, as you said it is tragic.... but ***whispering*** ("alto")

Gorman

Author Level
Lets keep this on topic, the cult of Jobs as crazy as they all may be are obviously going to be upset by todays news and should be left to it.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I really didnt want to get off topic, as you said it is tragic.... but ***whispering*** ("alto")

The alto had a mouse pointer style approach, apple were the first to design a true mouse though. Apple were always at the forefront of GUI design, anyone looking to amke a GUI just had to look at apples GUI guidelines for help. But anyway, Alto had a graphical interface, different thing though than a windowed graphical interface.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Lets keep this on topic, the cult of Jobs as crazy as they all may be are obviously going to be upset by todays news and should be left to it.

I dont think Apple fanboys are the only ones that will be saddened by the news. As many individuals have stated, including the president of the US, Microsoft CEO steve ballmer, Microsoft chairman of the board, Bill Gates, Oracle CEO Larry Ellison amongst others, Steve was an exceptional innovator, wether you like Apple as a company is a different matter, Steve did more for technology than a lot of people realise and if it werent for him and other individuals such as Bill Gates and Tim Berners Lee technology as we know it would be very very different.

Gorman

Author Level
Public figure dies, other public figures give condolences, nothing new there. Steve Jobs impact on technology is if anything greatly exaggerated by most as has been shown in this thread. Popular myths like Jobs invented this and that are rife and very rarely challenged. The man did a bang up job of popularising existing ideas, invented nothing. My opinion of Apple as a company has nothing to do with it.

I came here to ask that its kept on topic, now im drawn into a whole thing. sheesh.

thexcal

Gold Level Poster
As a person that has a imac two ipods and a iphone...and also just loves apple amazing designs...i'm sad knowing that he had passed away:(

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Public figure dies, other public figures give condolences, nothing new there. Steve Jobs impact on technology is if anything greatly exaggerated by most as has been shown in this thread. Popular myths like Jobs invented this and that are rife and very rarely challenged. The man did a bang up job of popularising existing ideas, invented nothing. My opinion of Apple as a company has nothing to do with it.

I came here to ask that its kept on topic, now im drawn into a whole thing. sheesh.

It woudl have been better had you not said anything in the first place. Or how about just "Lets keep this on topic" short ant to the point. Its nothing to do with the fact he was a public figure and so are they, its to do with the fact that he was an inspiration to many, and an extremely great mind. I really find it hard to believe as someone who works in the IT industry you have no idea how much of an impact he made to the way technology, especially personal computers, is today.

I created this thread out of respect to someone who has made a massive impact on society and the company which he created will im sure continue to do so. Why did you feel the need to join in with this comment "the cult of Jobs as crazy as they all may be are obviously going to be upset by todays news and should be left to it."? Its nothing to do with fanboys, its to do with people who want to pay respect to a great man regardless of their view on anything apple.

Gorman

Author Level
Maybe it would have, maybe not.

If you think that the majority of the IT industry share your opinions and therefore i should, you are wrong im afraid.

My post was intended to discourage people calling you on the somewhat lofty claims that Jobs brought us the smartphone (IBM) and the windowed GUI (Zerox). Sure Apple with Jobs as a public figure did a great deal to popularise those concepts but it’s very clear they were someone else’s idea. Also crediting one man with the hard work of Apples entire creative team is odd.

I’m not even going to touch the massive impact on society part, really?

It’s a shame when anyone dies and it’s a shame that Steve is gone, sucks for his friends and family. His customers feelings I’m not too concerned about.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Never liked any Apple products, overpriced tech if you ask me, but I just like the way he treated his employees, dunno if it's a rumour, but alot of workers were treated as family, and had morgages and cars etc paided for. And he managed to have cancer without it getting out in the media in overflow, shows that the board and close employees etc kept it between them and didn't sell the story etc.

Crap products, great person.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Maybe it would have, maybe not.

If you think that the majority of the IT industry share your opinions and therefore i should, you are wrong im afraid.

My post was intended to discourage people calling you on the somewhat lofty claims that Jobs brought us the smartphone (IBM) and the windowed GUI (Zerox). Sure Apple with Jobs as a public figure did a great deal to popularise those concepts but it’s very clear they were someone else’s idea. Also crediting one man with the hard work of Apples entire creative team is odd.

I’m not even going to touch the massive impact on society part, really?

It’s a shame when anyone dies and it’s a shame that Steve is gone, sucks for his friends and family. His customers feelings I’m not too concerned about.

You may not share my opinion, thats fair enough, but I know that an awful lot of people in the IT industry believe it is a great loss.

Yes as a company they developed and designed a lot of the products, hwoever it has always been known that Steve played a big role in designing, just like Bill gates always had a big role in design of microsoft products and Sam Pamisano has a big role in the products at IBM.

Theres no maybe about your previous post, you mentioned the only reason you posted was to keep the thread on topic, yet you added an extra sentence which you knew would fuel more discussion.

As for the whole xerox thing, Xerox had GUI and a pointer, yes, I have not disputed that. Apple took this (with several xerox employees) and developed a comercial desktop which allowed items to be dragged around, rearranged in whatever way you liked, move windows infront and behind eachother, and also went on to deign the mouse as we know it today.

Whether you like to admit it or not, apple have had a massive impact on society, IBM may have invented a smart phone but not in the smart phone sense we have now, the iPhone was the first true smart phone and there has never been a dispute about this. User interface design has also always been forefronted by Apple, even non computrer based UI's are designed using Apples UI principals which Steve originally helped create. I have worked for some of the companies mentioned in this thread and I know how much of an influence Apple has had on graphical interfaces and in a good way.

Gorman

Author Level
In line with the threads topic. A couple of the guys having a cyber pint in honour of Jobs in the warehouse:

AbEUuduCIAEdBPu.jpg

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I think it's weird how he died a couple of days after the 4S announcement. Seems like spooky timing!

But it is sad to see such a huge figure in technology die, but he will be remembered.