RIP Tina Turner

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No introductions needed…

My mum was a big fan of Tina’s music so we often had her playing in the 80s and 90s.

Obviously there’s her back story with Ike, and how she freed herself from an incredibly abusive marriage, and the strong message of hope she gave to so many. But she was always the star of Ikes partnership, no question

I always remember her from her part in Beyond Thunderdome, the third Mad Max film, ok not the best in the series, but I had huge respect for her and she played the part superbly.

At my grans funeral, we played “You’re Simply The Best” to send her off.

What a woman.

There’s a recent HBO documentary on her called Tina which is worth a watch:

There’s also a movie on her life done in 93 with Lawrence Fishburn as Ike, called What’s Love Got To Do With It:

They’re both worth watching.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just came across this which is a really nice tribute

This was Janis Joplin being interviewed in 1969 just before her death, she was pretty unwell by this point which is why she's quite awkward in the interview.

The thing that's lovely about this is that Janis was a powerhouse voice, much like Tina

Janis actually jumped on stage at a Rolling Stones concert late in 69 where the band were supporting the Stones and did a duet with Tina, that gig was taped, but so far, their duet has never been released. Here's hoping it makes it out of the archives sometime soon!

tina-turner-janis-joplin-madison-square-garden-new-york-november-27-1969-02.jpg

Up until 1957, Tina had worked as a cleaner before going with the band full time. She only sang on A Fool In Love (her first record in 1960) because the regular singer couldn't make the recording session, so Tina stepped in. It was a breakout hit at Number 2 in the R&B charts (basically segregated for black musicians, was even called "Race Records" before the term R&B was coined), and even breaking into the top 30 of the US Pop charts which was extremely hard to do in those days for a black artist.

Last edited:

RichardDavies99

Bronze Level Poster
Very sad news, I heard while listening to Smooth Radio, who were announcing it between most songs, as well as playing two of her songs in the time I was listening to it.