Router that prioritises gaming?

shehz

Could anyone recommend a router that will priortise gaming? My brother along with my dad use a LOT of netflix and youtube which just makes online gaming unplayable. The problem is that my brother also plays online games and moans if the connection slows when me or my dad uses youtube or downloads etc. It's a mix of wired and wireless devices.

Does anyone know of a router that could solve my problem or the next best thing? I'd really appreciate it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Could anyone recommend a router that will priortise gaming? My brother along with my dad use a LOT of netflix and youtube which just makes online gaming unplayable. The problem is that my brother also plays online games and moans if the connection slows when me or my dad uses youtube or downloads etc. It's a mix of wired and wireless devices.

Does anyone know of a router that could solve my problem or the next best thing? I'd really appreciate it.

Most modern routers have a QoS (Quality of Service) feature that will prioritise apps or specific devices on the bandwidth. If you don't have a decent router, I'd highly recommend pretty much any of the new Asus routers, they're absolutely fantastic and have an awful lot of useful features including VPN.

shehz

Thanks for replying.

I'm thinking of buying the Asus RT-N66U would the QoS on that work with wired and wireless connections and help lessen the lag on online games?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Also don't forget that the limiting factor here might be your connection speed. You don't say what your download/upload rates actually are (measure them with something like http://speedtest.net). QoS is a great feature but if the problem is insufficient bandwidth it's not going to help that much. Also be aware that download speed is not the only issue, the TCP protocol requires that acknowledgements can be sent, so if your upload speed is constrained you'll see slowdowns even though you have lots of download bandwidth available.