rtx 2070 and dual screen

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
Hey, im looking at buying a new pc in a few weeks (i did post in the desktop area a while ago but probably will again) and am looking at getting a rtx 2070 (2080 is abit more expensive), my friends keep telling me 1440p is the way to go and 144hz for the extra (visible) fps. looking online it doesnt seem as simple as a normal screen with just "plug and play" but i havent used a desktop in a few years.

1. from what i can find the rtx 2070 has 3 different ports so id need 2 different cables one for each screen? would this effect anything?

2. is it as simple as find 2 monitors, plug them both in and boom dual screen at 1440p and 144hz or is it abit more complicated?

3. any suggestions on some good screens to buy? (both the same preferably) maybe £100 to £400?

if the rtx 2070 isnt suitable for this what other card could i use/buy? (nvidia only, have had problems with AMD in the past) i mainly play MMO's, Strategy, survival and a couple of fps games (nothing like csgo, BF5, fortnite or apex). and would like atleast high on all current games with maybe 100 fps+. (single monitor play not across 2 screens)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
1440p 144hz is a single screen. Purely plug and play. Your friend is quite right, it's seen as the sort of niche for gaming right now. 4k is very pretty but we aren't quite there with performance yet. It's coming though.

Hit google and type in "Dell S2417DG". There are many others but it gives you a baseline to start from.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It is just plug and play. At worst you might need to set the refresh rate / enable gsync in the Nvidia control panel (i.e. pick it from a drop down menu and press 'apply' - no dark magic involved).

2. is it as simple as find 2 monitors, plug them both in and boom dual screen at 1440p and 144hz or is it abit more complicated?
What I would ask is, do you really need 2 1440p 144hz monitors? Are you running games on both at the same time? If not, would it not be more economical to have 1 x 1440p 144hz, and 1 x 1440p 60/75hz?

Also consider the S2716DG, which is the same kind of thing as the Dell S2417DG, but in 27" rather than 24". It's about £430, so £30 more, but as you can easily get 1440p 60/75hz for £200 that's still only ~£300 each averaged out :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It is just plug and play. At worst you might need to set the refresh rate / enable gsync in the Nvidia control panel (i.e. pick it from a drop down menu and press 'apply' - no dark magic involved).

What I would ask is, do you really need 2 1440p 144hz monitors? Are you running games on both at the same time? If not, would it not be more economical to have 1 x 1440p 144hz, and 1 x 1440p 60/75hz?

Also consider the S2716DG, which is the same kind of thing as the Dell S2417DG, but in 27" rather than 24". It's about £430, so £30 more, but as you can easily get 1440p 60/75hz for £200 that's still only ~£300 each averaged out :)

I could be wrong, but I presumed that he was thinking 2 monitors were required to achieve 1440 (as in 2 720p screens side by side). I think he was mistaking his friends advice.

Could be wrong though.

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
the main reason i wanted 2 screens the same was for aesetic purposes as 2 different ones would bug me, and yes i wanted 2 x 1440p screens 1st for a game 2nd for everything else ill have open. the 27" sounds good havent been on a desktop in a while so thatll probably seem massive.

also for the first screen id have to use display port cable wouldnt i? as the 2070 only has hdmi 1.4 and not 2.0 for 144hz.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'd strongly suggest getting 2 different monitors as it will let you get a better spec / avoid wasting a couple hundreds £.

27" is the ideal for 1440p I think, as less than that and you don't get to appreciate the higher res quite as much.

DP cable would be the usual thing. Most monitors of that spec will include one in the box tbh.

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
that dell looks good and is pretty cheap from what i can get on amazon, id atleast want them the same color, border size, hieght so i have 2 similar screens rather than massive differences.

on a side note im thinking of getting 32GB of ram because my current laptop hits 90%+ ram with games and the cpu/gpu hits 90 degress+ (have had 105 degress on GPU and suprised it didnt force shutdown)and thats without running my server(s).
could this simply be my gfx card hitting its max? i have a 960M.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Your laptop needs a clean / repaste and or has a fault with the cooling (fans not running fast enough or a physical fault). 105 degrees is not normal.

For gaming there's 0 point to more than 16gb RAM. If you're running games and servers at the same time, then maybe there's a point.

I'd suggest making a new topic when the time comes with your prospective spec, budget, and intended use for the system (in detail).

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
okay thanks =]

i have the laptop cleaned, on a cooling pad, running the fans at 6000 rpm playing blops 4 on lowest possible gfx and it idles on the main menu at 38 fps and cpu/gfx 85 degress. have had a the cPU hit over 100 before and it force closed the game.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That explains the monitor query then :D

Have you given it a re-paste to help with temps? The temps that you are seeing are definitely abnormal, there's something wrong with the cooling somewhere.