RTX 3000 mobile TGP - early discussions

RisingSun2405

I ran MSI Kombustor with HWiNFO64 showing on my second screen. Once I forced Kombustor to run on the 3060 rather than the Intel onboard card, it seemed to run at around 105W until it got too hot and throttled it to around 90W.
No physical MUX switch as far as I can see, but you can force it in software using Graphics settings
Screenshot attached:

View attachment 22540
Thanks! A shame it hasn't a mux switch. I guess it doesn't have a full nvidia control panel with DSR, right?
Also, can you undervolt the CPU? Or it is locked?
At what frequency does the cpu run before throttle? Does it get hot?

Sorry to bother, and thanks again

FerrariVie

Super Star
I ran MSI Kombustor with HWiNFO64 showing on my second screen. Once I forced Kombustor to run on the 3060 rather than the Intel onboard card, it seemed to run at around 105W until it got too hot and throttled it to around 90W.
No physical MUX switch as far as I can see, but you can force it in software using Graphics settings
Screenshot attached:

View attachment 22540
It makes sense and matches to what we've seen with yogic's: 90 + 15w of dynamic boost 2.0, which seems cannot be sustained for longer because of thermals. Now we understand why clevo's not yet releasing the 3070 without max-q, as it probably will run around the same as a 3060 due to thermal solution limitations. They need to have a thicker, heavier and noisier chassis to handle that.

Thanks for checking that out and for sharing your Firestrike results, I will update the rank with your results soon. (y)

Thanks! A shame it hasn't a mux switch. I guess it doesn't have a full nvidia control panel with DSR, right?
Also, can you undervolt the CPU? Or it is locked?
At what frequency does the cpu run before throttle? Does it get hot?

Sorry to bother, and thanks again
Not an expert, but I think the CPU voltage is locked (certainly greyed out in Throttlestop).
I think there is a full nVidia panel (You can certainly change the DSR-Factors in the panel I have). However, Kombustor seemed to ignore the video card setting in that which is why I ended up in the Graphics setting dialogue instead.
The CPU didnt seem to get particularly hot with MSI Kombustor (which I presume is expected as Kombustor is meant to stress the video card).
The GPU dropped from ~105W to ~90W once its temperature had reached 86C. See graph below.
I attach an HWiNFO64 log from the 2 mins of Kombustor that I ran, so that you have all of the underlying data (including CPU temperature, voltages etc)
Presentation1.jpg

Attachments

• HWinfolog.zip
    25.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

FerrariVie

Super Star
Not an expert, but I think the CPU voltage is locked (certainly greyed out in Throttlestop).
The CPU didnt seem to get particularly hot with MSI Kombustor (which I presume is expected as Kombustor is meant to stress the video card).
The GPU dropped from ~105W to ~90W once its temperature had reached 86C. See graph below.
I attach an HWiNFO64 log from the 2 mins of Kombustor that I ran, so that you have all of the underlying data (including CPU temperature, voltages etc)
View attachment 22562
Yes, 86° is the thermal limit of GPUs, so it is the point where you started to get thermal throttling to keep temps under 86° and not go above that.

In summary, you only got 40 seconds of boost and then started throttling. I'm expecting games to last a bit longer than that, as they don't maintain 100% usage all the time (like a stress test), but you will still see a drop in FPS after some minutes or hours of play (depending on the game, of course), which might eventually recover in some less demanding areas.

Macco26

Expert
Were the fan not at max speed, maybe?
Otherwise it's not to Clevo favor if this machine can't keep up indefinitely with the themal design Nvidia had allowed IMO...
DB should stay up, provided the CPU isn't being utilized above 35W, and (I didn't check the log, sorry) I may suspect this GPU stresstest wasn't very stressful to the CPU. Games could even (slightly) be more demanding, in that regard...

Were the fan not at max speed, maybe?
Otherwise it's not to Clevo favor if this machine can't keep up indefinitely with the themal design Nvidia had allowed IMO...
DB should stay up, provided the CPU isn't being utilized above 35W, and (I didn't check the log, sorry) I may suspect this GPU stresstest wasn't very stressful to the CPU. Games could even (slightly) be more demanding, in that regard...
As stated, the power mode was set to performance. The fans were set to "Automatic" (I had assumed that the fans would move to maximum as the GPU got hot - apparently not!). I have now rerun them at Maximum as that considerably improved my Firestrike scores. https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/58565944?
I have posted those to the benchmarks thread.

With fans at maximum it took 2 minutes at 99/100% GPU load before the throttling came in.

Presentation3.jpg

Last edited: