RTX 3070 New Build - Crashes To Black Screen

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just crashed to black screen again. I'm tired and annoyed so going to investigate tomorrow, with the replacement M.2.

is there a good guide for reseating the GPU? I had to give it a wiggle after I reseated the M.2 as it did the long/short/short/short beeps. That sorted it but I do wonder if it is not sat right.
when you reseat the GPU push it down firmly at both ends, you should hear the catch click into place

Turnips

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks @Martinr36 I will reseat the GPU and obviously fit the replacement M.2 tonight.

I have attached some pictures of the display problem I have, maybe somebody will recognise this? Sorry they are fairly cack, I would have liked to screenshot but I'm working from my phone until I have my new PC up and running!

IMG_20210722_204459_hdr.jpg
IMG_20210722_205050_hdr.jpg

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks @Martinr36 I will reseat the GPU and obviously fit the replacement M.2 tonight.

I have attached some pictures of the display problem I have, maybe somebody will recognise this? Sorry they are fairly cack, I would have liked to screenshot but I'm working from my phone until I have my new PC up and running!

View attachment 28115View attachment 28116
Once you're up and running, I'd remove what ever Nvidia driver that windows installs, using DDU and install the latest one direct from the Nvidia site and do a custom install without installing Nvidia audio

Turnips

Bronze Level Poster
Well.

Removed and reseated the GPU.

Installed the replacement M.2 which PCS sent out today.

Installed a fresh copy of Windows 10.

About two minutes into windows update... And crash to black screen. PC is still running, just a totally black display.

Any ideas? Starting to feel I will be joining the RTX 3070 RMA club.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well.

Removed and reseated the GPU.

Installed the replacement M.2 which PCS sent out today.

Installed a fresh copy of Windows 10.

About two minutes into windows update... And crash to black screen. PC is still running, just a totally black display.

Any ideas? Starting to feel I will be joining the RTX 3070 RMA club.
Sadly that's looking a possibility

Turnips

Bronze Level Poster
Another update:

I have just spoken to PCS again. As always, really helpful guys on the support team. They have arranged for a replacement RTX 3070 to be sent out to me, as they are 99% sure that it is a GPU failure due to the symptoms of black screen and artifacting. Providing they have a replacement card available I should be up and running on Tuesday.

@MrWilson I did ask about RMA timescales, and PCS said to expect a waiting time upwards of two weeks. Again, this is contingent on a replacement card being available. But at least we don't have to join the queue again! Replacement cards come from a different stock.

Interestingly, the operator I spoke to has had the same issue - RTX 3070 failure on a new component. I have done some reading up, and I don't profess to be an expert, but there do seem to be numerous failures with these cards! He did say that when you get one that works they are really, really good though.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Another update:

I have just spoken to PCS again. As always, really helpful guys on the support team. They have arranged for a replacement RTX 3070 to be sent out to me, as they are 99% sure that it is a GPU failure due to the symptoms of black screen and artifacting. Providing they have a replacement card available I should be up and running on Tuesday.

@MrWilson I did ask about RMA timescales, and PCS said to expect a waiting time upwards of two weeks. Again, this is contingent on a replacement card being available. But at least we don't have to join the queue again! Replacement cards come from a different stock.

Interestingly, the operator I spoke to has had the same issue - RTX 3070 failure on a new component. I have done some reading up, and I don't profess to be an expert, but there do seem to be numerous failures with these cards! He did say that when you get one that works they are really, really good though.
Fingers crossed all goes well🤞🤞

MrWilson

Godlike
Another update:

Thanks for info RE: Timescale.
Might help to explain why they've updated the configurator to have GPUs displayed as Zotac or Palit. Helpful for the customer too as they have more clarity on what they might be getting, and if the Gigabyte cards are a bit problematic it makes sense that PCS might stop opting for this model going forward.
Back to the waiting game. RMA request is still being processed, getting slightly more nervous as I did request a Monday pickup when I submitted it on Thursday. Back to patient waiting for now.
Thankfully OSRS had a big update on Wednesday that I've been sinking my teeth into, so my hunger to play more demanding titles is being held at bay.

Turnips

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for info RE: Timescale.
Might help to explain why they've updated the configurator to have GPUs displayed as Zotac or Palit. Helpful for the customer too as they have more clarity on what they might be getting, and if the Gigabyte cards are a bit problematic it makes sense that PCS might stop opting for this model going forward.
Back to the waiting game. RMA request is still being processed, getting slightly more nervous as I did request a Monday pickup when I submitted it on Thursday. Back to patient waiting for now.
Thankfully OSRS had a big update on Wednesday that I've been sinking my teeth into, so my hunger to play more demanding titles is being held at bay.
No problem. Does seem a shame when the gigabyte seems to generally be regarded as the 'better' card. I did say they could just swap me out for a Ti if they wanted...

Glad to hear you've got something to keep you busy. This is my first PC so in the meantime I'm back to the Xbox and Farm Simulator. Good job that game is a time sink, it'll be Tuesday before I know it!

Turnips

Bronze Level Poster
Exchange GPU booked for delivery/collection tomorrow.

Tomorrow night is block booked in my diary, hopefully I can get my new PC up and running!

Turnips

Bronze Level Poster
As we know, the RTX 3070s which were being supplied were manufactured by Gigabyte. Popular opinion seemed to be that this was the card you would pick for best performance (if you had the option...)

My replacement card has just arrived and is manufactured by EVGA. Is this a downgrade? Or, realistically, are all cards created equally?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As we know, the RTX 3070s which were being supplied were manufactured by Gigabyte. Popular opinion seemed to be that this was the card you would pick for best performance (if you had the option...)

My replacement card has just arrived and is manufactured by EVGA. Is this a downgrade? Or, realistically, are all cards created equally?
From the Terms & Conditions (my highlighting)...
7.3 If you order a dedicated graphics card and the AIB (add-in-board) manufacturer name is not specified in the product description or on the final invoice, then you will receive a graphics card that meets the specification of the model/version stated. If the graphics card is exchanged under the warranty, then we will supply a graphics card that meets or exceeds the specification of the model/version stated. This model may be from a different AIB manufacturer and as a result the actual performance may be slightly higher or lower than the original model.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry, yes, I understand that PCS can supply me whatever card is available.

My question was regarding the performance/opinion of the card vs. the Gigabyte equivalent
EVGA are the king of all, they’re widely regarded as the ultimate GPU manufacturer for both performance under overclocking and for support. I’m pretty sure they also have 5 year manufacturer warranties vs the usual 3 years.

The EVGA Kingpin has been the ultimate model of any GPU generation for a very long time now.

You hit the jackpot 👍🏼