RTX 3080 entire PC reboots itself

JackS96

Hi,

So recently I got ahold of my 3080 PC and I've been playing games on it quite a lot recently (mostly maxed out Cyberpunk 2077) and everything's been working absolutely fine. No crashing to desktop, no stuttering, nothing after several hours per day over the weekend.

Today though, I've experienced crashes when watching YouTube videos in full screen and after playing games for a set amount of time (usually <20 minutes). Things seemed to get a lot worse when I updated to the most recent driver (released July 19th or so).

At first I thought it was Gsync somehow since it's the only thing that changed about my system before the crashing started (I forgot to enable it at first) but after disabling it the crashing persisted.

One thing I've noticed is that USB controller disconnects and won't turn on again until I unplug it from its USB socket and plug it back in (my mouse and keyboard both switch back on with the reboot), which leads me to believe it's something to do with power draw, but I'm just guessing really. Thermals are all totally fine and I don't notice any performance issues whatsoever, then boom my PC freezes for a second or two and reboots.

I've run DDU to completely uninstall the drivers, reinstalled them and I still get the same problem.

Full technical specs here:

Case
CORSAIR 5000X ICUE TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st Storage Drive
2TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Anyone got any thoughts/ideas here? If it helps it's a Palit Gamingpro 3080. Pretty gutted right now.

JackS96

Have you tried rolling back the driver?

Did you order with windows or install your own?
I haven't tried that yet actually. To be honest I'm not quite sure how to roll back to a previous driver version with Nvidia, though the version I was using when this issue appeared was the June 10th driver.

As for Windows, I ordered it with Windows installed and just activated it with a product key. I made sure to get all the Windows updates first thing as well.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I haven't tried that yet actually. To be honest I'm not quite sure how to roll back to a previous driver version with Nvidia, though the version I was using up until this issue appeared was the June 10th driver.
Just uninstall the current with DDU, reboot disconnected from the internet and install the older driver from here, scroll down on the main driver download page:

1628023620709.png

With windows, did you order windows from PCS, or did you activate with your own key?

JackS96

That will be the issue then, you can’t use the test installation that comes with the PC, it’s not properly configured and won’t be stable, it will cause problems

You need to clean install.
Oh right. I'd actually never thought about that. Guess I know my next step now!

Just out of curiosity, do you know why it would work fine for the first few days of more intensive use and then start to fall apart afterwards?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just out of curiosity, do you know why it would work fine for the first few days of more intensive use and then start to fall apart afterwards?
Because it's not configured, it's just got generic drivers, so as soon as something updates it's going to cause instability.

JackS96

Because it's not configured, it's just got generic drivers, so as soon as something updates it's going to cause instability.
Ahh yes that matches up actually! I'd received an update for gsync and/or nvidia audio drivers today, so that must've been what messed it up.

I'll reinstall Windows as soon as I can and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your reply, I would've been worried I was sitting next to a very expensive paperweight without it :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ahh yes that matches up actually! I'd received an update for gsync and/or nvidia audio drivers today, so that must've been what messed it up.

I'll reinstall Windows as soon as I can and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your reply, I would've been worried I was sitting next to a very expensive paperweight without it :)
You need to do a full clean install, not a reset from within windows, has to be full clean.

JackS96

You need to do a full clean install, not a reset from within windows, has to be full clean.
Oh yeah, that's what I meant haha

Since I have two 1TB NVMe drives, one with Windows and one without, do you think it would be easier to boot from the installation device and install Windows on the other NVMe drive? And then delete the test Windows afterwards?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh yeah, that's what I meant haha

Since I have two 1TB NVMe drives, one with Windows and one without, do you think it would be easier to boot from the installation device and install Windows on the other NVMe drive? And then delete the test Windows afterwards?
No, the first part of windows installation is to delete all existing partitions, then you install to the blank space.

JackS96

No, the first part of windows installation is to delete all existing partitions, then you install to the blank space.
I see. Is that included as a step in the media creation tool software that you download from Microsoft's website, or does it require something else?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay great.

Will it be able to differentiate the Windows drive from the non-Windows drive somehow? Or does it highlight how much remaining space is available on each drive or something?
It will show all drives in the system and all partitions on those drives, you select the partitions you want to uninstall.

Follow option one from here, this is something you're going to need to do about once a year so you'll need to know it inside out:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

JackS96

All done!

It's late now, but I'm going to give my games a whirl after work tomorrow and see how they perform, though I'm pretty confident the issue is taken care of now. Thanks both for your help :)

JackS96

Update: Still crashing.

It's happened 3 times while I've been trying to work, seemingly at random. One time while I was browsing file explorer, one time while I was inputting text and another time about 20 seconds after I logged in from the second reboot.

This was a completely clean windows install, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Update: Still crashing.

It's happened 3 times while I've been trying to work, seemingly at random. One time while I was browsing file explorer, one time while I was inputting text and another time about 20 seconds after I logged in from the second reboot.

This was a completely clean windows install, so I'm not sure where to go from here.
How did you configure drivers?