RTX 3080 Fault

MatMus

Hmm so received my 3080 build today. Plugged everything in and booted up and no display output. Managed to get it connected via integrated GPU and when selectinv nvidia control panel no GPU detected. I can see the 3080 in the hidden items of device manager and it is definitely getting power as the RGB is all lit up. Hopefully a driver issue and nothing more - just trying DDU and then installing latest drivers but not a good start.

MatMus

No joy - attempted reinstallation of nvidia drivers fail as no compatible card is detected. I’ve tried a different set of PCIe cables but no joy either. Bloody hell.

D

Deleted member 103489

Hmm so received my 3080 build today. Plugged everything in and booted up and no display output. Managed to get it connected via integrated GPU and when selectinv nvidia control panel no GPU detected. I can see the 3080 in the hidden items of device manager and it is definitely getting power as the RGB is all lit up. Hopefully a driver issue and nothing more - just trying DDU and then installing latest drivers but not a good start.

Hopefully this is driver issue but if you still have problems maybe switch the gpu to another PCIe slot see if that does anything.

steaky360

@MatMus I moved this to its own thread to give it due attention (in tech support section)

What are you plugging into the GPU? A display port cable or HDMI?
Is this the same cable you're plugging into the monitor to fault find?
You've said the RGB is on, are the fans spinning up at all?

Could be worth removing it entirely, booting the PC using integrated GPU to see stuff, switch off PC and reinstalling the card.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
My guess is it has came loose in transit. It could be the 12 pin power cable at fault (would be my first guess). Not sure where the card takes the power from but it could be the PCIe.

MatMus

I’ve tried DisplayPort and hdmi.

RGB on card is on but fans are not.

ive tried a different set of power cables but it’s interesting that you say 12 pin, as it’s 2x 8 pin plugged into the card??

steaky360

I’ve tried DisplayPort and hdmi.

RGB on card is on but fans are not.

ive tried a different set of power cables but it’s interesting that you say 12 pin, as it’s 2x 8 pin plugged into the card??
Oh really? thats interesting, maybe Zotac (I figure its a Zotac card?) didn't go with nVidia's new 12pin connector then.

So you've tried the following and no joy...
1 - Different PCIe slots on MB
2 - Different power cables from PSU to GPU
3 - Different types of cable (HDMI/DP) and different GPU slots

And all with the same effect? GPU LED's come on but no fans spin and you can't see any output on the screen when plugging into the GPU?

Just out of interest, does the monitor do the whole "no device connected" thing when its plugged into the GPU or does it just show a black screen?

MatMus

Yes it’s Zotac

yes is the answer to all and yes the monitor doesn’t detect a signal and switches off.

steaky360

Yes it’s Zotac

yes is the answer to all and yes the monitor doesn’t detect a signal and switches off.
Hate to say it, GPU might be DOA... not sure what else you can try really. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion.

My suggestion is to contact PCS - I'd give them a phone and sadly sit and wait till they pick up (it might take a while :()

AlexJames

Bronze Level Poster
Fans being off is normal, pretty sure the Zotac Trinity they use has fan stop, which is where the fans will completely stop under no load. RGB Being on is a good sign, i think. Have you tried using a new DP 1.4 Cable?

steaky360

Fans being off is normal, pretty sure the Zotac Trinity they use has fan stop, which is where the fans will completely stop under no load. RGB Being on is a good sign, i think. Have you tried using a new DP 1.4 Cable?
Agreed with the RGB being on is a good sign (wasn't aware of the freeze fan thing, but still figured they'd spin up upon boot, maybe not?), but no picture given all the things @MatMus has tried points to a problem with the card I think... I guess it could still be a setting? At least if he contacts PCS they can potentially offer more things to try to fault find.
Are Faults like this normal for PCS??
Any equipment can be DOA sadly. Its not PCS's 'fault' necessarily. They will put it right however, which, in my eyes is more important.

target680

Bronze Level Poster
Agreed (wasn't aware of the freeze fan thing, but still figured they'd spin up upon boot, maybe not?), but no picture given all the things @MatMus has tried points to a problem with the card I think... I guess it could still be a setting? At least if he contacts PCS they can potentially offer more things to try to fault find.

Any equipment can be DOA sadly. Its not PCS's 'fault' necessarily. They will put it right however, which, in my eyes is more important.

Agreed definitly important.

I am patiently waiting for my 3080 build to come thorugh. Order on release date still in pre production. Kind of wondering how this guy got his so quick. I literally ordered straight away.

But also more comforting after spending all this money was that i have been looking at the forums under Techincal support for desktops. And there are a few each day but comparativly the issues seem minor. Today 5 issues yesterday 3 and 5 the day before.

So fingers crossed.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Are Faults like this normal for PCS??
This is completely normal with any systems manufacturer, equipment gets shifted in transport and sometimes technology fails, it's normal with any tech purchase.

What's important is how a company deals with these inherent failures and issues, and PCS support is superb.

MatMus

So managed to get through on the phone and to be fair PCS were great. They agreed with the diagnosis that it’s a faulty GPU and they will send a replacement ASAP. Chap on the phone didn’t know if they have set aside any stock for replacements so he said it could be a bit of a wait. Frustrating but these things happen.
Just hope it’s not a MOBO problem but I don’t have another GPU I can test.