Rtx 3080 liquid vs air cooling

Elorand

Hi,

I have a rough configuration I'd like to purchase however I cannot decide whether to go for the Lian Li liquid series build with hard acrylic tubing (including gpu block) or just get something like the Corsair H115i for the cpu and leave the gpu aircooled. (ryzen 9 3900X, asus rog strix x570-F, asus rog strix rtx 3080 or nvidia FE 3080, 64 Gb Corsair vengeance 3200MHz, 2Tb Seagate Firecuda 520 gen 4 NVMe. I would use the Pc for long gaming sessions in 1440p possibly 4k and also gpu heavy applications like blender, unity, etc. I like the aesthetics of the liquid series, and I am aware that gpus are cooler ergo perform better with a water block but the near £500 difference is a bit steep. I could only find short period thermal test for so far. Anyone had any experience regarding this? Does the 3080 need water cooling?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gavras

Master Poster
A lot really depends on the overall ambient air temperature of the room where the PC is.

Also the general airflow around the outside of the PC case.

Then it’s the airflow within the case, ability to suck in cooler ambient room air, circulate it quickly and dump it out in to the room, importantly that dumped air should not raise the overall ambient air temperature around the outside of the case.

Water cooling adds extra complexity and costs for GPU’s and also more cabling. / piping restricts overall airflow elsewhere.

edit: since 2010, I have water cooled CPU and always check reviews of motherboards ability to handle / dissipate heat, such as decent VRM heat sinks.

starting point is the room and where room PC will be placed.

Last edited:

AlexJames

Bronze Level Poster
The thermals on the new GPUs are a relative unknown in the long-term but you should be fine as long as you have a case with good airflow.

Not sure if you are aware or not: You didn't list the PSU you were planning....the recommended wattage, according to ASUS, for an R9 and 3080 combination is 850w:

View attachment 18743
Thats probably a bit overkill to cover themselves i reckon. 750W should suffice plenty, but 850W or higher is preferred for overhead for future upgrades
R9 3900x at 4.5Ghz constant with a 3080 at 2GHZ constantly with RAM,AIO,NVME etc only comes out to a load wattage of around 620-680. 750W is perfectly fine but probably not alot of headroom for future upgrades. Also could be due to their model taking significantly more power, but regular models 750W is more than enough with a 3900x

Last edited:

Elorand

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking to get either an 850 or a 1000W PSU just for headroom. I think I will stick with liquid cooling for both cpu and gpu just to be on the cooler side. Ambient temperature is around 20-22 degrees Celsius. Airflow is I'd say average/somewhat restricted given the case will be on my desk which is next to a wall. The room is quite big so the ambient temperate would stay relatively the same.