RTX 3080 - Which monitor?

sfeeju

Hi all
Been lurking on the 3080 thread for about a month now, thanks to all the contributors who have posted their experiences waiting for the 3080--it's been helpful.
I placed an order for a new rig on 11th November, blissfully unaware of the global shortage of 3080s. Once I knew about the likely long wait time, i upgraded the CPU in my build from a 3900XT to a 5900X- if a wait was unavoidable, i might as well get the better processor. I had decided against the 5900 as at the time it was pre-order only.
Bizarrely, I'm kind of enjoying the wait as it's the first time in decades I've actually had to wait on anything!!! (if any PCS staff read this-don't put me to the back off the queue!!!!!)
I'm no expert or real enthusiast, I just done a quick google of best card and CPUs to decide what to get. Reading this thread, I have noticed a few posts commenting on suitable monitors for the 3080. I was planning on getting a new TV or monitor anyway, was hoping someone could advise me on what I should be looking out for.
My eyesight is really poor, so if it comes down to a choice between big screen or best possible specs, I'll go for big screen every time. I'll probably be getting it from AO.com, as I already have credit with them. My budget is 600-800 quid, although, the longer I wait for my rig, the more I will be able to spend on it!!
Thanks

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Hi, welcome to the forum! So... for a 3080 you’re looking at two options, either superwide 1440p or 4K 144Hz.

For superwide, the Samsung G9 is a forum favourite...

For 4K 144Hz, there’s more choice, here’s just a couple of them...

Lukemondo

Gold Level Poster
Hi, welcome to the forum! So... for a 3080 you’re looking at two options, either superwide 1440p or 4K 144Hz.

Been trying to find these but both are sold out everywhere I go or being sold at an inflated price and since I’m in no rush I’m holding out (being tight) :LOL:

sfeeju

For superwide, the Samsung G9 is a forum favourite...

oooooooohhhhh, i love the look of that G9.

I want it!!!!

sfeeju

It’s a beast, isn’t it? 4K at 144Hz is all well and good but the G9 is just next level in terms of the sheer spectacle of it. And the immersion factor when you’re sat in front of that must be phenomenal.

Hope you’ve got a big enough desk... 😜
I've only just got a big enough house!

It's a bit more expensive than I had been planning for, but I fell in love with it as soon as I seen it so my decision is made.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I've only just got a big enough house!

It's a bit more expensive than I had been planning for, but I fell in love with it as soon as I seen it so my decision is made.
Build an extension on your house if you have to, the monitor is worth it! Big investment but it’s the pinnacle of 1440p gaming.

Glad I could be of assistance 👍

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It’s a beast, isn’t it? 4K at 144Hz is all well and good but the G9 is just next level in terms of the sheer spectacle of it. And the immersion factor when you’re sat in front of that must be phenomenal.

Hope you’ve got a big enough desk... 😜
My G5 drags me in enough, I can't even begin to imagine what being sat in front of a G9 is like

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
My G5 drags me in enough, I can't even begin to imagine what being sat in front of a G9 is like
I imagine it’s the visual equivalent of those old Maxell cassette tape adverts...

3053DCE0-55D3-4B64-B716-7E78AA105C58.jpeg