RTX 3080

I have also switched to the 3090 from the 3080 some of these wait times are absurd I also asked about the 3090 stock and was confirmed that they had a significant amount of cards, lets hope the 3090 doesn't meet the same fate as the 3080 as I am seeing a lot of people switching to this card instead.

Smqtt

Random question, but does anyone know how to view the build notes? I was told that the brand of the card would be in build notes once it goes into building as we are unable to select a specific brand (apart from the strix) thanks :)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
it's evident this is just customer manipulation from Nvidia, purposefully pulling in more stock for the 3090 knowing fine well alot of people will be tired of waiting and just switch....seems to be working.
Source of evidence on this statement, please? Otherwise I’m calling ‘utter rubbish’ on this claim.

amiwood18

Bronze Level Poster
Random question, but does anyone know how to view the build notes? I was told that the brand of the card would be in build notes once it goes into building as we are unable to select a specific brand (apart from the strix) thanks :)
I think you just press 'show' on your order, that's where my notes were

KamLoq

Source of evidence on this statement, please? Otherwise I’m calling ‘utter rubbish’ on this claim.
Well, it's working isn't it? How many are switching to a card £500-700 more expensive than the 3080. Use up the stock of the 3090 then release the next batch of 3080s.

This is a company who wants to make £££ after all. And the company that embargod reviews so all the reviews were on Stock 3080s not partner versions. And also told a reviewer to stop ignoring ray tracing as they won't be getting review cards until they do!

So yes, I could (not saying I do) believe they are ensuring the premade 3090s are selling through first as the boards they sit on are limited in supply.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Well, it's working isn't it? How many are switching to a card £500-700 more expensive than the 3080. Use up the stock of the 3090 then release the next batch of 3080s.

This is a company who wants to make £££ after all. And the company that embargod reviews so all the reviews were on Stock 3080s not partner versions. And also told a reviewer to stop ignoring ray tracing as they won't be getting review cards until they do!

So yes, I could (not saying I do) believe they are ensuring the premade 3090s are selling through first as the boards they sit on are limited in supply.
The 3090 is a very niche card, whereas the XX80s have always been the premier, must have GPU. It stands to reason that there’d be more availability with them.

This is also a company that’s been caught out and had a few PR disasters recently so I’d be genuinely surprised if they’d risk the tactics that have been suggested.

There’s global shortages of components, we’ve threads full of information about this. Seeing as even cards like the 1650 seem to be difficult to get hold of I doubt that there’s a shady business practice that’s being employed. What it tells us is that demand outstrips supply.

Add to that the fact that the 3000 series designs are out and amongst all their different manufacturers. It’d be a hell of a coincidence if they were all adopting this tactic simultaneously.

Smqtt

Spoke to someone on the live chat and was told that i got a zotac card, not bad eh. 😊

Snooze

What a load of tosh.
You say that but logically speaking if Nvidia only have a finite amount of capacity, and the 3090 has the best profit margins for them, it would make sense to prioritise production and take advantage of the current scalper prices of 3080s and undercut them with the superior 3090 thus ensuring that the people with the money would opt for the higher margin card instead of lying scalper prices.
In the short term this is a sound strategy

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
You say that but logically speaking if Nvidia only have a finite amount of capacity, and the 3090 has the best profit margins for them, it would make sense to prioritise production and take advantage of the current scalper prices of 3080s and undercut them with the superior 3090 thus ensuring that the people with the money would opt for the higher margin card instead of lying scalper prices.
So you think ASUS, Colorful, EVGA, Gainward, Galax, Gigabyte, Inno3D, MSI, Palit, PNY and Zotac would all be on board with this, thus creating the 3080 vacuum?

Knowing what I do about their business practices... MSI are the only company I actually believe would consider that.

Gavras

Master Poster
Again tosh.

The flagship models such as 3090 are simply that.

with pretty much all graphics cards (and most products) it’s the mid to low range product that makes pennies for a company.

I assume you work in HR or similar office wallah, double glazing sales?

this would really on every other card manufacturer and AMD, agreeing to this conspiracy theory.

alternatively, it could be not many people globally have paid the huge price for 3090 and their is stock of them.

potentially one of the more plausible reasons for the global shortage is down to substrates, MLCC and various chips (recently announced) which is affecting the supply of various car manufacturers from Tesla to Volkswagen, that the current lead time for MLCC is circa 50 weeks and other components are moving that direction.

The facts about the global shortage of parts is frankly bad enough without conspiracy theorists smoking banana skins and coming up with stuff.

Snooze

Again tosh.

The flagship models such as 3090 are simply that.

with pretty much all graphics cards (and most products) it’s the mid to low range product that makes pennies for a company.

I assume you work in HR or similar office wallah, double glazing sales?

this would really on every other card manufacturer and AMD, agreeing to this conspiracy theory.

alternatively, it could be not many people globally have paid the huge price for 3090 and their is stock of them.

potentially one of the more plausible reasons for the global shortage is down to substrates, MLCC and various chips (recently announced) which is affecting the supply of various car manufacturers from Tesla to Volkswagen, that the current lead time for MLCC is circa 50 weeks and other components are moving that direction.

The facts about the global shortage of parts is frankly bad enough without conspiracy theorists smoking banana skins and coming up with stuff.
No I’m saying what makes sense financially, and prioritising manufacture of more profitable components when there’s a shortage is something the vast majority of companies do.

I never said it’s what they’re doing l, I said why I could understand them doing it.

Also what’s with the job shaming ? I’m an Automotive engineer though if that means anything to you so I know a thing or two about supply constraints and MLCC shortages in particularly.

It’s also something automotive manufacturers are currently doing during lockdown and reduced manufacturing capacity - Focusing on the products which bring in the most revenue.

Thanks for the chat

Gavras

Master Poster
No I’m saying what makes sense financially, and prioritising manufacture of more profitable components when there’s a shortage is something the vast majority of companies do.

I never said it’s what they’re doing l, I said why I could understand them doing it.

Also what’s with the job shaming ? I’m an Automotive engineer though if that means anything to you so I know a thing or two about supply constraints and MLCC shortages in particularly.

It’s also something automotive manufacturers are currently doing during lockdown and reduced manufacturing capacity - Focusing on the products which bring in the most revenue.

Thanks for the chat
Automotive speak then.

this would be like VAG selling RS4 to customers because there was a shortage of Passats.

Or BMW trying to sell M4’s as there was a shortage of 4 series.

in automotive product lines, do they make a profit or loss on the top end marques.

for VAG, is the biggest profit from stuff that the average person can afford (including pcp) such as VW or is it Porsche ?

Basically does a Golf or Porsche bring in the most revenue?

that I suppose would be 3090 and 3060 type or argument.

on the MLCC front, I think a VW ID range is around 8000 MLCC, Tesla S is over 10,000. As you are no doubt aware, that is not just for the cars electronic components but also MLCC’s are being looked at more and more for their storage capacity, this means the nice lcd display contains them as does the power train.

Also with Factory 4.0, the use of automation really eats in to global production of various substrates, components etc.

That and China has said it will fully embrace Factory 4.0 by 2025 and have majority of technology factories cutover.

So while I admit to being sarcastic about the conspiracy theory, the truth on just where component shortages are heading is even more alarming.

Even Murata, who produce about 40% of global MLCC are a bit concerned, even though over half their product is going directly to China.

which is just another level of crazy.

Snooze

Automotive speak then.

this would be like VAG selling RS4 to customers because there was a shortage of Passats.

Or BMW trying to sell M4’s as there was a shortage of 4 series.

in automotive product lines, do they make a profit or loss on the top end marques.

for VAG, is the biggest profit from stuff that the average person can afford (including pcp) such as VW or is it Porsche ?

Basically does a Golf or Porsche bring in the most revenue?

that I suppose would be 3090 and 3060 type or argument.

on the MLCC front, I think a VW ID range is around 8000 MLCC, Tesla S is over 10,000. As you are no doubt aware, that is not just for the cars electronic components but also MLCC’s are being looked at more and more for their storage capacity, this means the nice lcd display contains them as does the power train.

Also with Factory 4.0, the use of automation really eats in to global production of various substrates, components etc.

That and China has said it will fully embrace Factory 4.0 by 2025 and have majority of technology factories cutover.

So while I admit to being sarcastic about the conspiracy theory, the truth on just where component shortages are heading is even more alarming.

Even Murata, who produce about 40% of global MLCC are a bit concerned, even though over half their product is going directly to China.

which is just another level of crazy.
The margins Porsche make on their vehicles is much much higher than on a Golf(as a percent) This is typical with most high end production cars, flagship vehicles are often built off the back of cheaper models so their cost is heavily subsidised.

The margins on an RS4 are definitely much higher than on a Passat.
The difference here is the gulf between the products price is in the tens of thousands, not the hundreds, and their isn’t a second hand market selling them for 150% of retail value.
Not to mention the way GPU silicon is manufactured and how often one wafer will produce the silicon for multiple models of GPU.

If I had limited manufacturing capacity I know I’d be aiming to produce the most profitable card, that would make the most use of the wafer whilst perhaps allowing the “rejects” to be repurposed as lower modelled cards

That being said, no I don’t think GPU manufactures are doing this, but to claim the idea of it is crazy doesn’t sit right with me as it actually makes a lot of sense I’m the short term, especially if you ignore the “ethics” of it