RTX 3080

whoami

C30B32F2-13E5-4AFB-9AE9-2D70D33AC2CE.jpeg

I made it! 70 days. @SpyderTracks who gets in touch about paying the mortgage off?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
@Gavras & @Snooze, whilst this 3080/3090 discussion is all very interesting it's now veering well off topic. Perhaps you could continue your chat in the General Discussion forum? Thanks. :)

Gavras

Master Poster
@Gavras & @Snooze, whilst this 3080/3090 discussion is all very interesting it's now veering well off topic. Perhaps you could continue your chat in the General Discussion forum? Thanks. :)
To be fair, a lot of it is relevant, the fact the Chinese are pushing Factory 4.0, the fact that Automotive is pushing B EV are the biggest contributors to the global shortage of components. That has a very direct impact on the Strix 3080 cards.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
To be fair, a lot of it is relevant, the fact the Chinese are pushing Factory 4.0, the fact that Automotive is pushing B EV are the biggest contributors to the global shortage of components. That has a very direct impact on the Strix 3080 cards.
That point is fair enough, it's the argument over whether Nvidia are delaying 3080s in order to sell more 3090s that's off topic.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You say that but logically speaking if Nvidia only have a finite amount of capacity, and the 3090 has the best profit margins for them, it would make sense to prioritise production and take advantage of the current scalper prices of 3080s and undercut them with the superior 3090 thus ensuring that the people with the money would opt for the higher margin card instead of lying scalper prices.
In the short term this is a sound strategy

I can see that logically that might be the case, however..... ALL cards are selling out. There is simply less demand for the 3090 for the aforementioned reasons.

If Nvidia could double their production of the 3080s and the 3090s they would sell the lot. It's not a huge conspiracy IMO, not at this stage.

Scottmask

Silver Level Poster
I can see that logically that might be the case, however..... ALL cards are selling out. There is simply less demand for the 3090 for the aforementioned reasons.

If Nvidia could double their production of the 3080s and the 3090s they would sell the lot. It's not a huge conspiracy IMO, not at this stage.
mad ironic though...

PCS procurement department have been very successful in attaining stock of the 3090 GPU, thereby successfully persuading its customers to exchange their GPU's for more profit?

To the degree that all 3090 orders are gone and their is surplus stock to have the GPU removed from pre-order status?

I'm at 43 days pre-production, that's 2 solid months I've waited thus far. I didn't even wait this long to get my CAR!! absolutely hold respect to those with 60+ days waiting, its ludicrous and frankly unacceptable.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
mad ironic though...

PCS procurement department have been very successful in attaining stock of the 3090 GPU, thereby successfully persuading its customers to exchange their GPU's for more profit?

To the degree that all 3090 orders are gone and their is surplus stock to have the GPU removed from pre-order status?

I'm at 43 days pre-production, that's 2 solid months I've waited thus far. I didn't even wait this long to get my CAR!! absolutely hold respect to those with 60+ days waiting, its ludicrous and frankly unacceptable.

I understand your frustration but you have to understand that you are in complete control of your own destiny and your wallet.

Frustration always leads to this sort of thinking, the unknown always brings pessimism into play.

I would guess, and please understand that this is my thinking alone, that PCS would have received significantly more 3080s than 3090s. Unfortunately, the sheer amount of 3080s required (1000s) to satisfy the orders is far greater than what they have received. The 3090 orders will be FAR fewer as they are very niche in selection but PCS will still have put in healthy order requests for them.

Example:

3080 orders - 3042
3080s Received - 846
Oustanding 3080s - 2196

3090 orders - 436
3090s Received - 500
Oustanding 3090s - 0 with 64 surplus that can be snapped up if requested

It's very simple when you think about it though. Again, the unknown tends to lead people to conspiracy and ulterior motive hunting.

Try to assume positive intent. There is no overlord mastermind at play here. There is nothing to be gained from it right now. When Nvidia have surplus stock of whatever card then these sorts of shenanigans come into play. Right now, they could sell a used cereal box with 3080 written on the side of it.

stegor

Bright Spark
mad ironic though...

You have no proof they make more profit. Perhaps stick to the facts?

Snooze

That point is fair enough, it's the argument over whether Nvidia are delaying 3080s in order to sell more 3090s that's off topic.
Discussion about the benefits of Nvidia potentially focusing more on high margin products in a time of limited supply is off topic in a thread about RTX3080 availability ?

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
mad ironic though...

Don't accept it then and cancel your order...?

Snooze

You have no proof they make more profit. Perhaps stick to the facts?
Well the facts are both the 3080 and 3090 share the same manufacturing process.

The silicon produced is separated into 3 groups based on their quality. The highest quality will go to the 3090 more often than not, and some will go to AIBs for high spec 3080s, the good quality will be shared between both GPUs and the lowest quality will go to just the 3080.

I’ve read that the split is 30/60/10, 10% being yields of the highest quality.

So one could assume that you would make more money selling more “good” silicon as a 3090, especially as the market has shown that they’re willing to pay near 3090 prices for even the lowest quality 3080 silicon.

Once again I’m by no means saying this is happening or believe it’s something they would do, but can we not pretend it’s both plausible and makes economical sense ?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Discussion about the benefits of Nvidia potentially focusing more on high margin products in a time of limited supply is off topic in a thread about RTX3080 availability ?
To the extent that you both were carrying on, yes.

stegor

Bright Spark
Well the facts are both the 3080 and 3090 share the same manufacturing process.

The silicon produced is separated into 3 groups based on their quality. The highest quality will go to the 3090 more often than not, and some will go to AIBs for high spec 3080s, the good quality will be shared between both GPUs and the lowest quality will go to just the 3080.

I’ve read that the split is 30/60/10, 10% being yields of the highest quality.

So one could assume that you would make more money selling more “good” silicon as a 3090, especially as the market has shown that they’re willing to pay near 3090 prices for even the lowest quality 3080 silicon.

Once again I’m by no means saying this is happening or believe it’s something they would do, but can we not pretend it’s both plausible and makes economical sense ?

@Scottmask was accusing PCS of making more profit, not nvidia.

Scottmask

Silver Level Poster
@Scottmask was accusing PCS of making more profit, not nvidia.
Their both making more profit, I've insinuated Nvidia and their counter parts have chosen to manufacture more of the premium card and PCS have evidently been able to acquire more.

This is mere speculation or "conspiracy".

Nivek

Silver Level Poster
I also think Nvidia is tightly controlling the supply of 3080's (and 3070's to a lesser extent) to ensure the demand is higher than supply, which will push more people into buying the 3090, which provides them with MUCH higher profit margins.
They are still manufacturing as many of them as they can, but selling the "excess" to cryptocurrency mining firms!
Unfortunately for gamers, crypto mining is profitable again as it is a bull market at the moment, have a look at the price action in the last year:

Smoggyuk

Bronze Level Poster
Staff member
Are people really recommending that we are making more money selling higher tier cards?

We are NOT a components reseller and our markup for components is often very small and similar per card tier! we make our money from the services that we provide.

Edit: The 3090s just aren't selling as well due to the value perspective, the card doesn't really offer that much over the 3090 when compared in a gaming situation, for workstation use you may see the benefit, this is a much smaller target audience thus more cards are available.

Scottmask

Silver Level Poster
I also think Nvidia is tightly controlling the supply of 3080's (and 3070's to a lesser extent) to ensure the demand is higher than supply, which will push more people into buying the 3090, which provides them with MUCH higher profit margins.
They are still manufacturing as many of them as they can, but selling the "excess" to cryptocurrency mining firms!
Unfortunately for gamers, crypto mining is profitable again as it is a bull market at the moment, have a look at the price action in the last year:
current BTC price doesn't help us either!