RTX 3080

Dicarus

For what it’s worth, after no communication while waiting for my build, after I changed to the 3090 and they had stock, I got quite a few emails in quick succession about building stages, dispatch dates etc.

And to be honest, if they don’t have anything to say I’d rather they didn’t say it... I wouldn’t have liked to wake up to emails from them every day just to open it and find “Yeah there’s no updates.” But that’s just my opinion.

I will when it comes in, currently tracking the DPD guy and he’s a while away 😭
At least you can stalk him while you wait

tenor.gif

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Oh no, it could just be an automated email...I wasn't suggesting that someone writes a different email to each customer....it could even be the same email every week or whatever. I know they have the capacity for it as mass emails were being sent with estimated build dates. EVen a mass sent email once a week saying "we have no information, please bear with us" is better than nothing at all. The problem with no communication is it leads people to phone wanting to know what is going on...which leads to stress on theose handling said calls as well as making it harder to get through for those who need support (malfunctioning system for example).

I'm with you on the sentiment but unfortunately a mass email is not an easy thing to do (believe it or not). Sending out a mass email is an absolute doddle, when you have the email addresses to send to. Unfortunately, ascertaining who needs what email at what time requires quite a bit of programming with algorithms in place to create selection criteria.

As we know all too well the current system in place which has this programming work in it had to be switched off due to the inaccurate information being given from it.

It may seem like a simple thing to change how it functions but it would definitely require re-programming, testing and all manner of other things put into place before switching it on. I have no idea what resource would be required to make this happen but I can only presume that it's been deemed a low priority given how urgent other areas are.

For a fun analogy, it's a little like taking a fireperson away from a burning building to hand out leaflets on switching off your TV at night :D

Gavras

Master Poster
To me the simplest method is a weekly post by a PCS member, not even with a Question and answers session.

Just basic facts and include any updates.

If you order a system and then wait but don’t check the forum, well then possibly they should not be buying PC systems online.

The message that pops up on the build configuration could potentially have a pointer to sticky on forum about part shortage that is excessive such as 3060, 3070, 3080 and AMD CPU and Cards, ignore the rest unless it is over 7 week lead time.

There is likely a chip shortage in 2021, so things will likely get worse for some parts, not just PC’s.

Email as communication does tend to suck at times.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
To me the simplest method is a weekly post by a PCS member, not even with a Question and answers session.

If you order a system and then wait but don’t check the forum, well then possibly they should not be buying PC systems online.

The message that pops up on the build configuration could potentially have a pointer to sticky on forum about part shortage that is excessive such as 3060, 3070, 3080 and AMD CPU and Cards, ignore the rest unless it is over 7 week lead time.

There is likely a chip shortage in 2021, so things will likely get worse for some parts, not just PC’s.

This is a very good idea.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

I think that would be a fair compromise.

In my mind there would never be much to update so a static instruction seems fine to me, but I understand why a refreshed message may be a better solution :)

Don Coyote

Communication on what may I ask?

And for the folk waiting for the STRIX 3080, be aware that we only received a small batch of under 100 cards, nearly 500 orders still remain for this card.
Just this simple information is incredibly helpful and thanks for posting it. From your message I can see that a sixth of STRIX3080 have been received; just knowing there is that kind of movement helps put my mind at rest as it is much better than only two cards being received :D. I dont need to know my place in the queue or anything else but similar weekly stats for 3080 and 5900 would be gratefully recieved (y) :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I think that's what this thread is meant to be....

I'm sure it has been posted many times in here. It is stickied and locked to replies. May be what people are looking for and just need reminded more often.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think that's what this thread is meant to be....

I'm sure it has been posted many times in here. It is stickied and locked to replies. May be what people are looking for and just need reminded more often.
And every time @Ghosthud posts new information I add it to that thread - so don't read that sticky as a chronological conversation. It's just a collection of posts that @Ghosthud has made concerning stock deliveries of the 3080 etc.

Nivek

Silver Level Poster

I agree with this totally.
I would even go one step further and say it would be nice to have an up to date stock levels page of the pre-order components (even if only a weekly update):
  • Number of orders waiting for each component - This would give us an idea of the demand.
  • Date PCS last received the component and how many - This would put us at ease that there is at least some movement.
  • ETA (date + quantity) of the next batch of components.
I realise the last point may not be possible to give accurately, but surely the first 2 points would be something that could be done, and would put a lot of people at ease rather than being left in the dark, and having to take time away from the support staff asking these types of questions.

Scottmask

Silver Level Poster
I agree with this totally.
I would even go one step further and say it would be nice to have an up to date stock levels page of the pre-order components (even if only a weekly update):
  • Number of orders waiting for each component - This would give us an idea of the demand.
  • Date PCS last received the component and how many - This would put us at ease that there is at least some movement.
  • ETA (date + quantity) of the next batch of components.
I realise the last point may not be possible to give accurately, but surely the first 2 points would be something that could be done, and would put a lot of people at ease rather than being left in the dark, and having to take time away from the support staff asking these types of questions.
i concur.

i was attempting to request this earlier but got shot down in flames.

Scottmask

Silver Level Poster
here's an on topic question.. and don't read it as me being tight, im just genuinely curious.

if i ordered a pc on the 01.11.20 and my pc doesn't get built until the 01.02.2021 if any parts in the original order are cheaper on the 01.02.2021 am i advised or entitled to a credit or is this not checked because the order is placed/paid at point of sale?

Don Coyote

here's an on topic question.. and don't read it as me being a tight arse, im just genuinely curious.

if i ordered a pc on the 01.11.20 and my pc doesn't get built until the 01.02.2021 if any parts in the original order are cheaper on the 01.02.2021 am i advised or entitled to a credit or is this not checked because the order is placed/paid at point of sale?
Only if you get to pay more if they are more expensive!:ROFLMAO:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
here's an on topic question.. and don't read it as me being tight, im just genuinely curious.

As with any purchase, your agreement is at the time of purchase, you go into a contract at that point in time with the retailer, so no, you aren't eligible for a refund on the cost difference at the point it's shipped.

Scottmask

Silver Level Poster
As with any purchase, your agreement is at the time of purchase, you go into a contract at that point in time with the retailer, so no, you aren't eligible for a refund on the cost difference at the point it's shipped.
i did think this was the case, was just curious, thanks :)

Scottmask

Silver Level Poster
I will add that, given everything that has been happening, chances are that the components in your build will be more expensive when it goes into building than when you paid for it rather than being cheaper
this with the ebay scalpers? :D think my GPU is 800 quid cheaper from PCS hahaha.