RTX 3080

kozuki

Enthusiast
To assist what Lukemondo is saying, this is what I got as an answer from Rhys on Jan 7th, when I asked about my order status and if they are really only assigning parts to builds when all of them are available at the same time:
Customer stock levels are best suited to keep the order as it is, you are nearing the front of the production queue which is fantastic news. Once we get to this point both the processor and graphics card should be prioritised to your order.

Your logic is correct as both these components need to be made available for the order to proceed even if you system is at the front of the production line.
Make what you will out of this, but I too, am not too happy with this system where I see people getting 3080 and 5900X separately in their builds while ordering months later than me.

But it may have been - for a time. If you have a CPU set aside for you but your build is still missing components and a later order is otherwise ready to go but for the same CPU, I would expect them to take your CPU and put it in that later order. That way at least one build goes out the door and the effect on you is mimimal because your build wasn't complete anyway.

I don't know that's what they do but it makes complete sense to do that

This makes no sense to me, and would be wrong and unfair. If you paid for the component before someone else, it should not be given to the person who ordered it after you.

As I have said in another thread, it creates the risk that you have to wait until all your components are in - having paid for them - while others who order after you get a component before you. It is really not fair at all to take your money, then give a component you've paid for and which is in stock to someone who asks for it after you. It risks you not getting your PC if other bits go out of stock, and a perpetual wait.

This disincentives orderding unless every component is in stock.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This makes no sense to me, and would be wrong and unfair. If you paid for the component before someone else, it should not be given to the person who ordered it after you.

As I have said in another thread, it creates the risk that you have to wait until all your components are in - having paid for them - while others who order after you get a component before you. It is really not fair at all to take your money, then give a component you've paid for and which is in stock to someone who asks for it after you. It risks you not getting your PC if other bits go out of stock, and a perpetual wait.

This disincentives orderding unless every component is in stock.
I don't want to get into a detailed hypothetical discussion on how PCS operate, because none of us know what they do or how they organise themselves. I would however point out that PCS are system integrators not component resellers and you haven't actually bought anything until your PC arrives on your doorstep. How PCS managed the internal mechanisms to get it built is entirely their business.

willrnt

Bronze Level Poster
Is the 3080 or 3090 vr ready? It wasn't labelled (VR ready) when I ordered the pc like it was labelled for the rtx 20 series. I was thinking about getting a quest 2 and wondering if I should get cable link with it

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Is the 3080 or 3090 vr ready? It wasn't labelled (VR ready) when I ordered the pc like it was labelled for the rtx 20 series. I was thinking about getting a quest 2 and wondering if I should get cable link with it
Yes, they're both powerful enough for any VR headset.

But it may have been - for a time. If you have a CPU set aside for you but your build is still missing components and a later order is otherwise ready to go but for the same CPU, I would expect them to take your CPU and put it in that later order. That way at least one build goes out the door and the effect on you is mimimal because your build wasn't complete anyway.

I don't know that's what they do but it makes complete sense to do that
I don't want to get into a detailed hypothetical discussion on how PCS operate, because none of us know what they do or how they organise themselves. I would however point out that PCS are system integrators not component resellers and you haven't actually bought anything until your PC arrives on your doorstep. How PCS managed the internal mechanisms to get it built is entirely their business.
Not bought anything? True.

But I have PAID for something. I (and others) have spent one, two, three thousand pounds or more and don't want to see components we've PAID for going to those who paid after us. That's the beef.

I am happy to wait for my PC. I have bought from PCS in the past. But there is a definite opaqueness to their processes in these unprecedented times. What other... forum... is there for customers to air their concerns, but here?

I have no doubt they are trying to be fair and do their best. And any decision over who gets a component when there is a shortage is fraught. Damned if you, damned if you don't. However, I think giving a part to the person who paid for it first has to be fairer than giving it to the person whose order can be put out first.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

But I have PAID for something. I (and others) have spent one, two, three thousand pounds or more and don't want to see components we've PAID for going to those who paid after us. That's the beef.

I am happy to wait for my PC. I have bought from PCS in the past. But there is a definite opaqueness to their processes in these unprecedented times. What other... forum... is there for customers to air their concerns, but here?

I have no doubt they are trying to be fair and do their best. And any decision over who gets a component when there is a shortage is fraught. Damned if you, damned if you don't. However, I think giving a part to the person who paid for it first has to be fairer than giving it to the person whose order can be put out first.
I understand your frustration but again, you're not buying parts, you're buying a complete PC. How PCS organise themselves internally to build your PC is their affair.

Of course you want your PC built as fast as it can be, as does everyone else.

I would hope and expect that PCS would do whatever they're able to do in order to get as many PCs that are able to be completed out the door as fast as possible.

I'm pretty sure you'd also be complaining if your build was only waiting for a CPU, when you knew that PCS had another build that was waiting for a GPU but had a CPU of your model allocated to it and which they refused to give to you.

PCS clearly have to use the components they can get hold of to complete as many builds as they can, with proper consideration to the date of ordering.

Jaycensolo

Bronze Level Poster

When I raised this issue with Liam (amazing CS agent) he thought there might be something wrong with the system which was assigning CPUs to people who ordered later than others when they dropped their GPUs. So instead of the people being allocated the CPU when they were waiting for a GPU it went to them instead. When I rang up to complain about others getting a 5900X before I did and had been allocated everything except the CPU from the 22/23rd of December. So when someone who ordered 14 days after me and dropped the GPU got a CPU before me that I knew something was wrong. It was not the only example of this. I counted at least 3 others that this had happened to so I rang up. Liam said that he would look into it and raise it with the management team. Later that day my build went into “pick production” which means that the PC will go into build soon. I got the PC yesterday.
I would hope that they are looking into what caused the issue and to stop it happening to others. But would advise to ring up and check.

Lukemondo

Gold Level Poster
When I raised this issue with Liam (amazing CS agent) he thought there might be something wrong with the system which was assigning CPUs to people who ordered later than others when they dropped their GPUs. So instead of the people being allocated the CPU when they were waiting for a GPU it went to them instead. When I rang up to complain about others getting a 5900X before I did and had been allocated everything except the CPU from the 22/23rd of December. So when someone who ordered 14 days after me and dropped the GPU got a CPU before me that I knew something was wrong. It was not the only example of this. I counted at least 3 others that this had happened to so I rang up. Liam said that he would look into it and raise it with the management team. Later that day my build went into “pick production” which means that the PC will go into build soon. I got the PC yesterday.
I would hope that they are looking into what caused the issue and to stop it happening to others. But would advise to ring up and check.
The problem being is if you’re still waiting for both, the current system they use will wait for both parts to be in stock at the same time, so essentially they could have 5 5900x in stock, look at a build but it’s missing the GPU, so they use the 5 CPUs in other builds, but then a couple of days later the GPUs come in, but then they don’t have the CPU, so the GPUs get allocated to another build... and the cycle continues on and on until both are in stock at the same time.

I think this is where people are concerned, at least I know this is what I’m worrying about with my build and when I’ve tried to raise this, I just keep getting told “we cannot give you an ETA” but I’m not after an ETA, I’m wanting clarification over how they’re handling this situation with both components being in such short supply.

Jaycensolo

Bronze Level Poster
The problem being is if you’re still waiting for both, the current system they use will wait for both parts to be in stock at the same time, so essentially they could have 5 5900x in stock, look at a build but it’s missing the GPU, so they use the 5 CPUs in other builds, but then a couple of days later the GPUs come in, but then they don’t have the CPU, so the GPUs get allocated to another build... and the cycle continues on and on until both are in stock at the same time.

I think this is where people are concerned, at least I know this is what I’m worrying about with my build and when I’ve tried to raise this, I just keep getting told “we cannot give you an ETA” but I’m not after an ETA, I’m wanting clarification over how they’re handling this situation with both components being in such short supply.
That is what is odd as I got allocated my 6800XT around the 22/23rd of December yet someone else posted up that he ordered on the same day and he had not been allocated a 6800XT yet someone else who ordered a 3900X and 6800XT got his PC built before him yet ordered his 10 days after the other person. The person who did not get his 6800XT allocated switched to the 6800XT from the 3080 and amended his order. Which is what I think is causing all the issues. Although CS say that amending your order does not change your position it must be doing something as some are being put at the back and others at the front after they make an amendment.

Grendel85

Okay so today I have jumped ship and upgraded to the 3090 hope that the wait time will be far less than the 3080. Yes I know the 3090 is going to be overkill for me but hey it is what it is. Will be using it with a LG Ultragear 27GN950 4K which I will eventually upgrade to a nice ultra wide screen in the future.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay so today I have jumped ship and upgraded to the 3090 hope that the wait time will be far less than the 3080. Yes I know the 3090 is going to be overkill for me but hey it is what it is. Will be using it with a LG Ultragear 27GN950 4K which I will eventually upgrade to a nice ultra wide screen in the future.
That screen will at least make use of the 3090, it's not as if it's unsuitable.

OllHol

How much is the upgrade from 3080 to 3090? I guess it changes often. But do you have an approximation?