RTX 3080

Jingo

Bronze Level Poster
Start legal action if you must. The backlog in court cases due to lockdown, etc means I can pretty much guarantee you'll have your PC before your case gets anywhere near court. And you'll still have to pay for the legal advice you've sought. Hardly seems worth it if you ask me. 🤔
I don't see what grounds there are for legal action. It was clear on ordering that it was going to be a while and a full refund is available if you don't want to wait.

I do think that given the circumstances a deposit and full payment on build system might have come across better than us all paying thousands with no eta, but I can understand why that isn't the case.

MartyF

I don't see what grounds there are for legal action. It was clear on ordering that it was going to be a while and a full refund is available if you don't want to wait.

I do think that given the circumstances a deposit and full payment on build system might have come across better than us all paying thousands with no eta, but I can understand why that isn't the case.
I think the problem is that nobody expected it to be this bad.

Jingo

Bronze Level Poster
Just out of curiosity anyone know the situation on the 3070's? Is the wait still as long as the 3080.
There was a reply from PCS a few pages back. They're coming in quicker, but because more people are switching to them the wait is pretty similar.

Crizzy G

Gold Level Poster
I cant comment on PCS but there definitely seems to be more 3070's on the market.
Yeah that was my thought. I had a build sent out to me with a 2070. Upon taking the gpu out it had all scratches on it, I kicked off and managed to get it replaced for a 3070 asus rog.
Cancelled my 3080 build ages ago but by the looks of it I'd still be waiting even now.

Gavras

Master Poster

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't think PCS have done a great job in terms of pro-active communication on the issue, irrespective of the level of information they have to offer.
So what exactly would you like PCS to communicate? In accepting that PCS have limited information, what communication would you like to have? Do you really want regular emails saying 'we still don't know when we'll get 3080 stocks and we still don't know when your PC will be built'? The best they really can do is to contact those whose builds are about to be started because some stock has arrived.

I really do sympathise with the seemingly endless wait and with the desire to know how much longer it might be, or even whether things are moving, but I'm at a loss to see what PCS could usefully communicate to you. Bear in mind also, that the details of how PCS operate, how many units they build, even how many 3080 cards they have on order, may well be commercially sensitive information that PCS don't want to disclose (though of course I have no idea whether that is the case, but it could well be).

Everybody really has a choice; whether to stick with their PCS order and accept that their build will be done as soon as it can be, or cancel and try their luck somewhere else. Talking about instigating legal action is ridiculous, unless you have a written contract that guarantees a build date for your build.

Jingo

Bronze Level Poster
So what exactly would you like PCS to communicate? In accepting that PCS have limited information, what communication would you like to have? Do you really want regular emails saying 'we still don't know when we'll get 3080 stocks and we still don't know when your PC will be built'? The best they really can do is to contact those whose builds are about to be started because some stock has arrived.

I really do sympathise with the seemingly endless wait and with the desire to know how much longer it might be, or even whether things are moving, but I'm at a loss to see what PCS could usefully communicate to you. Bear in mind also, that the details of how PCS operate, how many units they build, even how many 3080 cards they have on order, may well be commercially sensitive information that PCS don't want to disclose (though of course I have no idea whether that is the case, but it could well be).

Everybody really has a choice; whether to stick with their PCS order and accept that their build will be done as soon as it can be, or cancel and try their luck somewhere else. Talking about instigating legal action is ridiculous, unless you have a written contract that guarantees a build date for your build.
Re. information, I would like to know where I am in the queue for a 3080. It may be commercially sensitive as you say, but maybe a rough idea? I.e. you are from 51-100, 101-150, more than a thousand etc.

Re. legal action, you're right. But even with a build date, I bet they have a force majeure clause in the terms to cover this sort of thing.

Covid has not suspended basic laws. For example, The Consumer Rights Act 2015 has in no way been rescinded and PCS have entered a contract with me under this law. Now the terms of that contract include those implied by percentage dispatched table. And if I have come to an arrangement with PCS that their consideration now consists of items in stock, but yet the contractual production period is not affected by the change, then they are in breach of contract by not providing a delivery date that I agree is reasonable. The only matter under dispute if were I to start an action at this point, would be how much compensation is due for my time in pursuing the matter. Hours spent holding in phone queues can and routinely are included in these claims.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Re. information, I would like to know where I am in the queue for a 3080. It may be commercially sensitive as you say, but maybe a rough idea? I.e. you are from 51-100, 101-150, more than a thousand etc.

Re. legal action, you're right. But even with a build date, I bet they have a force majeure clause in the terms to cover this sort of thing.
I rather suspect that the problem with emailing everyone regularly to update their queue position is that it would be expensive.

PCS have in the past relied on an automated email system that requires little or no human intervention. To update everyone now on a regular basis would probably be a full time job for someone, keeping track of the supply side, the builders and testers, as well as the continually increasing level of orders.

That person would have to be paid for, either by moving someone from an existing role, or by hiring someone new. Either way there would be an additional cost which would have to be paid for. PCS won't want to have to pay it and so it will get passed on to the customers as a price increase.

Some people, who really want to know where they are in the queue, might well be happy to pay, but others, who are content to wait quietly, may object to being asked to pay more for what they see as nothing useful.

In any case, as I've said before, knowing where you are in the queue isn't very helpful if you don't know how fast the queue is moving. At the moment it would seem that the 3080 build queue is going in fits and starts, which makes knowing where you are in the queue even less useful. :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Covid has not suspended basic laws. For example, The Consumer Rights Act 2015 has in no way been rescinded and PCS have entered a contract with me under this law. Now the terms of that contract include those implied by percentage dispatched table. And if I have come to an arrangement with PCS that their consideration now consists of items in stock, but yet the contractual production period is not affected by the change, then they are in breach of contract by not providing a delivery date that I agree is reasonable. The only matter under dispute if were I to start an action at this point, would be how much compensation is due for my time in pursuing the matter. Hours spent holding in phone queues can and routinely are included in these claims.
I do so love barrack room lawyers. [emoji1787]

Gavras

Master Poster
god you must be fun at parties.

I assume you never showed the T&C’s, they are pretty open and easy to read on liability from stock availability.

Jingo

Bronze Level Poster
You'll also find in their Ts and Cs that their limitation of liability in these circumstances is the value they've received from you, hence the most you'll get back is a refund.

Nice payday for your lawyers though.

MartyF

Where, can you put links up?

this is current status from Stock informer.

There are several discord channels that alert in stock and I'd recommend following the twitter account part alerts. You have to be quick but when buying my cards the 3070's alerted more and stayed up longer (minutes rather than seconds). My other tip would be follow some smaller UK based resellers, there are a few that put up cards as they get them.

I've bought both a 3070 and 3080 in the past two weeks.